CrowdSupport®
outwardspiral
Level 2: Rookie

Upload speed to Dropbox is intolerable

Answered

Since switching from Telstra BigPond Cable to Telstra NBN (HFC Tier 100) two days ago, my upload speed to Dropbox has dropped to virtually zero.

Is anyone else on HFC having a similar issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
outwardspiral
Accepted Solution

Re: Upload speed to Dropbox is intolerable

Ok, I've discovered the cause of the problem.

These are my computer's network adapters:

Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Killer Wireless-n/a/ac 1535 Wireless Network Adapter

The software/driver package includes Killer Control Center, an application that allows prioritisation of tasks that use the internet via a feature called Advanced Stream Detect. As you can see in the screenshot below, Dropbox has top priority and is not throttled.

KCC_Apps.JPG

Now, when I turn off Advanced Stream Detect, all tasks are no longer prioritised or throttled by Killer Control Center, and uploading to Dropbox is no longer affected.

KCC_LI.jpg

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 24: Supreme Being

What model Telstra modem do you have?

outwardspiral

Telstra (Technicolor) Smart Modem Gen 2 connected to an Arris Touchstone CM8200B connection box.

It could be Telstra Broadband protect blocking Dropbox. You can bypass Telstra’s Broadband protect by using a custom DNS. On the Arcadyan version of the Telstra Smart modem Gen 2 this is easy to do in the modem as it has a drop down list of DNS providers in the Advanced > Local Network Settings, I am not sure if the Technicolor modem has the same settings, if doesn’t will have to set up a custom DNS on your device. Suggest you use google public DNS 

IPv4 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

IPv6 2001:4860:4860::8888 and/or 2001:4860:4860::8844

If setting custom DNS in modem disconnect and then reconnect your device after changing DNS in modem.

outwardspiral

Thanks for the advise, but apparently I've been barking up the wrong tree.

After further testing, I can confirm that the upload issue has nothing to do with Telstra NBN.

Upload issues are only happening on this computer (connected via Wi-Fi) in the Dropbox desktop app (reinstalling has no affect) and the Dropbox website on Chrome browser. However, the Dropbox website on Microsoft Edge browser works fine. There are no other upload issues in any other applications on this computer.

Another computer on the same network has no issues with the Dropbox desktop app or Chrome browser, so it's an isolated issue on this computer.

outwardspiral
Accepted Solution

Ok, I've discovered the cause of the problem.

These are my computer's network adapters:

Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Killer Wireless-n/a/ac 1535 Wireless Network Adapter

The software/driver package includes Killer Control Center, an application that allows prioritisation of tasks that use the internet via a feature called Advanced Stream Detect. As you can see in the screenshot below, Dropbox has top priority and is not throttled.

KCC_Apps.JPG

Now, when I turn off Advanced Stream Detect, all tasks are no longer prioritised or throttled by Killer Control Center, and uploading to Dropbox is no longer affected.

KCC_LI.jpg

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now