CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Customer9
Level 3: Gumshoe

Using Steam on Bigpond Broadband

Answered

When using my cable broadband connection, I cannot join game servers through the Steam client, but I otherwise have no problems with any other Steam client function.  I have confirmed that I can join game servers through the Telstra 4G network.

Based on game error logs, I believe the problem through the broadband connection is due to ICMP traffic between my home network and the internet.  I can successfully ping devices within my home network, but I cannot ping external IP addresses; all such attempts are met with request timeouts (this is not the case through the 4G network).  I have confirmed using pathping that the ICMP problem arises during the hop from my network to the internet (I ping google.com.au).  I am unsure whether this problem is being caused by my cable gateway, or if it is an issue with how the Telstra cable network is handling the echo requests.

I would appreciate advice on how to rectify this problem.  I am using a Windows 10 device with a wired connection to a Telstra-supplied Netgear C6300BD-1TLAUS.  I have confirmed that Windows Firewall has been configured to allow ICMP echo requests (both IPv4 and IPv6).  The router is configured to forward the ports UDP27000-27200 and UDP4380.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Customer9
Accepted Solution

Re: Using Steam on Bigpond Broadband

Hello cf4,

I found a solution.  The problem is resolved by reducing the router's firewall setting from "medium" to "low"; the router's webpage states that this firewall setting controls outgoing traffic.  I can now join game servers through Steam.  I can also successfully use commands like ping and pathping on target IP addresses external to my local network.

Thank you for taking the time to help me!

[For those speed-reading through the thread, my gateway is a Telstra-supplied Netgear C6300BD]

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

When you set up port forward rules, you first need to assign a static IP to each device that you have connected to your modem and restart before configuring your port forward rules. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Customer9

Hello Shellock,

Prior to setting up the port forwarding rules, I used a DHCP reservation lease to assign a static IP to the device in question. I have confirmed that the port forwarding rules are pointing to the same IP address I reserved on the DHCP.
Level 24: Supreme Being

Have you checked to see if the ports are open using an open port checker site such as canyouseeme?

Customer9

Hello cf4,

Every port I test using canyouseeme.org results in "connection timed out".  I tested not only the ports for which I have port forwarding rules active, I also tested some of the common ports listed on the website (such as 21 for FTP, 110 for POP3), and also some of the "established" and "listening" ports that are listed through the command line [netstat -a].

The common ports listed on the website will only show as open if you have an app using that port and the port has been port forward to the it in the gateway.
The ports not being open could be the problem with why Steam is not working correctly.
Is the IP address shown shown on the canyouseeme site the same as your gateways WAN address?
Customer9

Hello cf4,

I can confirm that canyouseeme.org displays the same IP address as my gateway lists for my WAN IP.

A lot of people have had trouble trying to port forward on a cable connection. You could try setting DNS to google on your PC network adapter instead of the LAN address of the gateway as per this post

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Port-Forwarding-Gateway-Max-Cable-Modem/td-p/...

Manually applying Telstra's DNS servers in the TCP/IP properties to those devices that have manual IP's, port forwarding began to work.

I use googles DNS servers as they are really easy to remember to all my manually assigned devices...

Customer9

Hello cf4,

Setting my network adapter to use Google's DNS servers instead of those set in the gateway does not appear to have an effect.

Customer9
Accepted Solution

Hello cf4,

I found a solution.  The problem is resolved by reducing the router's firewall setting from "medium" to "low"; the router's webpage states that this firewall setting controls outgoing traffic.  I can now join game servers through Steam.  I can also successfully use commands like ping and pathping on target IP addresses external to my local network.

Thank you for taking the time to help me!

[For those speed-reading through the thread, my gateway is a Telstra-supplied Netgear C6300BD]

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now