CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
craigc
Level 3: Gumshoe

VOIP Cable Ultimate 1300 number problems

Hi

I recently upgraded my cable internet to the latest Ultimate plan, which required a new modem (NetGear CG3100D).  After the upgrade both of my VOIP phones no longer work properly.  Before the upgrade both my phones worked perfectly (using a Motorola surfboard modem and Linksys WRT54G router).  The main problem is that when dialling 13 numbers or 1300 numbers that have a voice menu, you cannot hear the voice menu.  I here the exchange click to the voice menu, but no menu.  If I dial the local number associated with the 13 or 1300 number I can hear the voice menu.  It seems to be a problem when the 13 number is switched to the underlying number.  My VOIP provider (Engin) has gone over all settings and everything is fine.  Other problems I have been having is that sometimes the phone will not connect on incoming calls.  What I mean is that if I dial my VOIP numbers from another phone it won't always ring my VOIP phones.  I have applied all of the settings to my netgear as specified by Extreame in his community blog, but I am still having problems.

My VOIP systems are: Linksys SPA3102 (Engine VoiceBox) - Home phone

CISCO SPA303 IP Phone (Business grade phone and EPBX system) - Business Phone

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Craig.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
28 REPLIES 28
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Re: VOIP Cable Ultimate 1300 number problems

I don't see how your new modem would cause an issue with only one type of number. I would expect it to be an "all or nothing" issue if it was the modem (as it simply supplies Internet access to your equipment).

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

tas
Level 2: Rookie

I'm having the same problem. Also on local incoming calls I can't hear the incoming party but they can hear me.

I spoke to engin support (my VOIP Provider) and they are aware of the issue they have a huge number of customers with the same problem, the person I spoke to at engin said they have their back-end tech team looking to hopefully fix the problem and will email me when they do. It appears that Telstra BigPond have inserted some sort of code to disable the full potential of VOIP.

"NOT HAPPY JAN"

I was told by the TELSTRA Sales person that I could use my engin phone no problem so I switched from optus to Telstra BigPond. I could use my engin voice box 3102 with the netgear CG3000-1STAUS no problem. Bigpond supplied me with a CG3100D-2Bpaus and I have had no end of problems.

Level 22: Superhuman

tas wrote:

I could use my engin voice box 3102 with the netgear CG3000-1STAUS no problem. Bigpond supplied me with a CG3100D-2Bpaus and I have had no end of problems.

I use an engin Voice Box series 1 with a BigPond-supplied Netgear CG3100 for my Ultimate Cable service, and I don't recall having any issues in the past 12 months with incoming calls either failing to come through or having voice transmission in only one direction. I don't call 1300 numbers on it, though, so I don't know if I have the same issue as the O.P.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
tas

Thanks for your imput Drat. Just a thought, I still have the optus modem CG3100 I woner if I'm able to use that with bigpond as I had no problems with it as Drat states in his post.; would it have to be configered in some way to run on the Telstra bigpond network? Any comments would be appreciated.

I forgot to mention on my previous post that 1300 and 1800 calls using the CG3100 on the optus network had no problems at all.

I've been doing some self-testing with the CG3100D and noticed if I call form a land line phone to my engin phone now the engin phone can't hear the land line phone but the landline phone can hear the engin phone, this happens for aproximately 60 seconds then it's OK also on the 13OO AND 1800 numbers using my engin phone I can't hear a ring tone and voice menu this last for about 30 to 60 seconds then I hear the the pre-recorded menu OK.

Also I've just found out that my speed is at the Elite level speed of 30 MBPS and not the speed I signed up for namely; Big Pond Ultimate speed of 100 MBPS. I will be making yet another call for assistance in this matter. I must admit the people I talk to at Telstra are very pleasant and go out of there way to try and help me.

I read the posts put forward about this situation between Reds and Extreame, it gave me a headache, I thought it could have been handled in a more congenial way rather than two tech heads trying to get the better of each other. I think technical people on this forum would be better served if they spoke to us mere lay people as if they were talking to a child.

Regards,

Tas

pearsonlive
Level 1: Cadet

I have the same probelm.

Using Gigaset C470IP with by old modem worked fine but since ugrading to ultimate and getting a CG3100D-2 have been having problems.

Inbound calls and calls to national and mobile numbers are fine but calling 13 numbers or international, I am unable to hear the other person but they can hear me. If we stay on the call long enough, (about 60 seconds) I can then hear and we are able to chat normally.

craigc

Hi Tas

Regarding your speed, the Telstra people need to switch your account to a 3.0 account.  This is what a service tech told me.  The call centre people said that it didn't, but when I insisted and told them that a Telstra Technician told me this information, they relented, put me on hold for 20 minutes whilst they found out, then came back and told me I was right and apparently did something.  Now I get ~100MBPS.

Hope this helps

Craig.

tas

Hi Craig,

Thanks for that I think that's the problem I'm currently on 30MBPS instead of 100MBPS Telstra have an order in with activations to upgrade me to the Ultimate; I thought I was on this from the beginning untill I did a speed test today. So I hope that rectifies the problem.

Cheers,

Tas

tas

hi Craig,

I did the online chat support and got 100Mbps within 30 minutes, am pleased about that.

I am wondering if you have VOIP and is it working OK since your speed upgraded? because mine is still not fully working ie; I can't hear the incoming party but they can hear me, if I wait 30 to 60 seconds we can both hear each other.

Tas

craigc

Hi Tas

Mine is mostly working.  Can make and receive calls, however, the 1300, 13 and 1800 number issue is still there.  It takes between 30 and 50 seconds for me to be able to hear the other party, but only on those special numbers.  It's really weird.

Thanks

Craig.

jeeva

Hi

I'm having the same issue. I can't call 1300, 13, 1800 and international calls. 

Telstra provided a CG3100 modem originally. all VOIP calls working fine with this modem. later I had a issue of wireless drop off. then telstra provided a cg3100D-2 modem. the VOIP call issue started with this new modem.

Now I switched back to old CG3100 modem. no issues with VOIP calls in this modem. but still have wireless drop off issue.

Jeeva

tas

I've got a tech guy from telstra plus doing a remote connection tomorrow, I'd like to get the 3100 back how did you get your 3100 did they send one out to you?
Tas
jeeva

they just send me the replacement.

I had my orginal 3100 with me. Telstra haven't collected or ask me to return.

Jeeva

tas

To All who use VOIP. Bigpond Residential don't support VOIP it's disabled in the Bigpond firmware. Although it will work if you do this.... please see my latest post here: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/CG3100-vs-CG3100D-Cable-Internet-Access/m-p/122...

Hope this helps.

Tas

craigc

Hi Tas

Thanks for the info.  I figured that Telstra had screwed me .... again.  Anyway I had done some testing removing the CG3100D out of the equation (i.e. put it in bridge mode).  Phones worked fine, but were on a public IP.  So I bit the bullet yesterday and bought an ASUS RT-AC66U, put the netgear bridged and voila everything works perfectly.  By the by this router is excellent (well so far only had it 2 days), but setup was a breeze and everything just worked, not to mention it is really fast.

Anyway I believe that everybody who has been having this problem send a letter of complaint to the CEO, perhaps this may help Telstra change their residential policies.  Thank you to all those who offered help.

Thanks

Craig.

Level 20: Director

@In reply: @tas

@tas wrote:

To All who use VOIP. Bigpond Residential don't support VOIP it's disabled in the Bigpond firmware. Although it will work if you do this.... please see my latest post here: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/CG3100-vs-CG3100D-Cable-Internet-Access/m-p/122...

Hope this helps.

Tas

This information is incorrect and misleading.

Telstra HFC does not support PacketCable, this is where your whole landline telephone runs from the Cable modem.

VOIP is fully supported on Bigpond Cable and when it does not work, it usually is the settings on either the modem or VOIP device.

Please do NOT post misleading information such as this.

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@Extreame wrote:

@In reply: @tas

@tas wrote:

Hope this helps.

Tas

VOIP is fully supported on Bigpond Cable and when it does not work, it usually is the settings on either the modem or VOIP device.

Telstra does not provide help or support for 3rd party VOIP services. Technically the use of VOIP is not supported.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

jeeva

Extreame, I feel you are a Telstra employee. Why are you worring when someone complain about Telstra.

Telstra has done something in this particular model (CG3100D-2) of modem/router. I was using CG3100 modem/router supplied by Telstra. There is no VOIP issue in this router. I had some wireless dropout issue in CG3100. Then Telstra replced with CG3100D-2. I'm having VOIP issues from the day I replced to CG3100D-2.

You are asking us to use another router and change CG3100D-2 to bridge mode. it is a waste of money, electricity and space to use another router, when there a options to have one device for modem and router. 

You need to think practically before you give such answers.

Jeeva

In reply: @jeeva

I have previously helped you in the past (let me just state that for the record).

The obvious reason for my above replies is to correct misinformation, I would have thought you would appreciate this.

I guess I was wrong! And you are in the wrong forum.

If you are unhappy with your Bigpond Cable, then contact the complaints department, as I am unable to help you further. 

jeeva

Hi Extreame
I really appreciate you help. I won't forget that. I may ask some help from you in the future as well.
Sorry, if I offend you.

Regards
Jeeva

In reply: @jeeva

No, you did not offend, I was just making myself clear about the above.

I will be happy to be able to assist you in the future, so will be looking forward to that Smiley Happy

colmacc

Ben_F wrote: Technically the use of VOIP is not supported.

What does this mean?  Are you saying that the use of VOIP over a cable modem is made impossible by technical means, or are you saying that it breaches the contract, or are you saying that bigpond/telstra 'technical support' staff can't or don't support the use of VOIP, or are you saying something else entirely?  It's hard to make out what you're trying to express.

In any case, can you please provide a citation for this assertion (whatever you intend it to mean.)

colmacc

@Extreame wrote:

This information is incorrect and misleading.

Wow, so shouty!

Ok ... While I believe that there is no network impediment to the use of VOIP protocols on Bigpond Cable, I also believe that the CG3100D-2BPAUS contains firmware which has been modified from the original netgear firmware in such a way as to make it impossible, under some circumstances of supply, to configure it so as to use VOIP protocols over the Bigpond Cable network.

So while you are correct in stating that the Cable (being the network) does not preclude the use of VOIP, and you may be narrowly correct in stating that the settings on the modem are causing this, you may be missing the fact that, in removing the netgear firmware support for VOIP, on that particular modem, Bigpond has crippled the modem for certain VOIP applications by making it impossible to effect the correct settings for VOIP on that modem.  Whether this was inadvertant, or intentional, or merely a happy accident (from Telstra's point of view) it is a significant problem, and deserves to be addressed, not shouted down.

I consider this to be a manufacturing/design flaw in the CG3100D-2BPAUS modem firmware, at some level at or before 5.5.5.83.mp2.V1.05.01 (I have not recently turned off gateway mode to check it out, and will not until I receive some feedback as to the precise nature of the flaw.)

In reply: @colmacc

What Ben_F was saying, is that technically, VOIP is not supported by Bigpond support boundaries (you cant call BPTS and ask them to help you setup your VOIP service/device as it does not fall within their support boundaries).

However, with that said, I will be happy to assist you if needed Smiley Happy

EDIT: I am not interested in your opinion regarding Bigpond/VOIP, your politics, your opinions regarding pricing, BP policies, your opinions regarding what you think about Netgear and it's firmware, but I am interested in helping you setup your VOIP device, or cable connection,  if so needed.

colmacc

@Extreame wrote:

@In reply: @colmacc

What Ben_F was saying, is that technically, VOIP is not supported by Bigpond support boundaries (you cant call BPTS and ask them to help you setup your VOIP service/device as it does not fall within their support boundaries).

However, with that said, I will be happy to assist you if needed Smiley Happy

I see.  So the 'technically' in Ben_F's statement was largely redundant.

Thank you.  If it is possible to set up VOIP service/device in such a way as to avoid the problems I (and others) have experienced, I will be most grateful and happy.  I note that, it appears, Telstra do not supply a manual for the device.  If they did, this likely wouldn't arise.

@Extreame wrote:

EDIT: I am not interested in your opinion regarding Bigpond/VOIP, your politics, your opinions regarding pricing, BP policies, your opinions regarding what you think about Netgear and it's firmware, but I am interested in helping you setup your VOIP device, or cable connection,  if so needed.

I don't think I've given any opinions regarding Bigpond/VOIP, politics, pricing, BP policies, Netgear, or its firmware, or even the extent to which they observe the GPL.  So I don't know whence that caveat arose.

Ok ... so ... when I had the modem in non-gateway mode, with Engin as VSP, I observed precisely the following http://whrl.pl/RddilR ... and the same as was referenced here http://whrl.pl/RdptXh (at the end of which thread you can see me taking a bite out of Engin for being so slack.)

Essentially, no matter how I set it up (and believe me, I tried everything I could see, having set up a number of VOIP systems and servers) that behaviour (sort of half-duplex) was the best I could get.

In the end, I put the cable modem into gateway mode, and everything worked for VOIP ... but that is not really satisfactory - I would prefer to be able to use the cable modem to its capacity.

Any advice or assistance you can provide would be welcome.

(Oh, I should add that I have formally requested a product manual from BigPond for this device, as they are regarded by NetGear as the manufacturer of record.  I will pursue this request tomorrow, as it appears BigPond have not countenanced the need to supply a manual, or to supply technical support, sufficient to utilise the device to its capacity.)

The only advice I have for your issue is this. Please read, from that post onwards.

I have fully tested both companies devices on a CG3100D-2, and they are blocking something, on their servers, it is not Bigpond, or Bigpond Ultimate cable, nor is it anything to do with the CG3100D-2.

I have tried to work with both of the companies involved, and they simply are not interested in listening to your issue's, they don't care.

For this exact reason, I suggest you go elsewhere to get your VOIP service, and possibly at a cheaper rate, although I have not researched this myself.

The above thread will give you choices on VSP's (currently 2 that I know of), that work without issue in any mode of the CG3100x model cable modems.

Any further advice? Feel free to reply Smiley Happy

colmacc

I see.  I think it is difficult to conclude that Engin is 'blocking something', but it is certain that I'm caught in the DMZ between two providers.  It is certain that someone (either BP or Engin) is making unwarranted assumptions about the nature of the net between me and Engin.  It would be nice to suppose that the difference in opinion could be settled in an amicable way, using the standards and disclosure and transparency,  but I accept that this may not be feasible.

I may be suffering Stockholm Syndrome, but I will give Engin a chance to sort out their problem before shipping out (I note that apparently Pennytel have a fix.)

I'm not using a 'device' as such, but it is good to know that you've gone to the trouble of actually testing their devices under actual operating conditions.  This does seem to be more than Engin has done in the 5-6 months since I first brought the problem to their attention.  It is also heartening to have my conclusions more-or-less confirmed, although I'm not prepared to sheet the blame home to Engin for the underlying problem, certainly their lack of curiosity and their laziness does them no credit.  At the very least I will have a look into the competing suppliers, and it is good to know that they will just work without my having to spend hours on the phone with many charming people from tropical climes.

Thanks.

Well enjoy waiting!

tukee
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Engin VOIP cannot connect to bigpond Cable

Hi Extreme,

How to connect Engin voip to The Netgear CG3100D-2BPAUS bigpond?

@Extreame wrote:

@In reply: @colmacc

The only advice I have for your issue is this. Please read, from that post onwards.

I have fully tested both companies devices on a CG3100D-2, and they are blocking something, on their servers, it is not Bigpond, or Bigpond Ultimate cable, nor is it anything to do with the CG3100D-2.

I have tried to work with both of the companies involved, and they simply are not interested in listening to your issue's, they don't care.

For this exact reason, I suggest you go elsewhere to get your VOIP service, and possibly at a cheaper rate, although I have not researched this myself.

The above thread will give you choices on VSP's (currently 2 that I know of), that work without issue in any mode of the CG3100x model cable modems.

Any further advice? Feel free to reply Smiley Happy

Appreciated your help.

Francis

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now