MatthewGreen
Level 1: Cadet

VPN

I am using cable with Telsta. This week I cannot connect to my VPN which I need for work.

When I ise my phone as a hotspot it works fine.

Has Telstra stopped VPN access in the Henley Beach area?

Can someone tell me how to fix this?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Support Team
Support Team

Re: VPN

Hey MatthewGreen,

If this connection has worked in the past then there shouldn't be any reason for this not to continue to work via the settings you have for this VPN connection. Have you completed any updates to your modem or computer recently that may have re-configured your settings? 

Any Windows update may lead to the Firewall not allowing the VPN to work correctly and will need to be updated. 

Have you had your work technicians have a look at the connection to ensure this is setup correctly? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

MatthewGreen

I am on a Mac computer and there have been no updates the operating system.

I haven't touched my modem recently. How would I know if there are updates to my modem?

If so, how do I make them?

Are you sure they is not an external problem at Telstra. I need to get this fixed ASAP for work purposes.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi MatthewGreen, 

Have you spoken to your work IT team to see if they can take a look at your VPN settings? It seems odd that nothing has changed yet it was connecting last week.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

MatthewGreen

Hi Kenobi,

The IT guys assures me it is fine. They have tested the VPN from their end and it works fine. I have also tested the VPN via my phone on a different provide and it connects.

It is not working with Telstra which implies the Internet provider is blocking the VPN.

Does my modem need updating?

I am out of ideas to this issue and customer service is not giving my any solutions.

I need this fixed ASAP so I can work remotely.

Regards,
Matt
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

There has been basic VPN testing conducted on the Cable C6300 Modem with multiple VPN solutions where it has worked, however what wasn’t tested, was all VPNs and IP Sec solutions.

In this instance BigPond Tech Support will be unable to help as they provide assistance with getting the modem back online in the standard configuration. If VPN is the only issue you're experiencing with your connection I would recommend that you contact Telstra Platinum on 137 587 so they can take a look at it.

You can find out more about the services offered by Telstra Platinum here:https://www.telstra.com.au/connectedhome/enhancements/platinum 

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Troubleshooting VPN's themselves is outside of Telstra Platinum's support scope. Too many unknown factors

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Highlighted
MatthewGreen

Thank you for you comments. I have spoken to Telstra Platium and they also cannot assist.
I can connect to the same VPN with another internet provider via my iPhone, which is costing me a small fortune. This suggests it is a Telstra issue.
Do you have any suggestions?
I have investigated on forums and other customers have encountered the same issue with Telstra.
ExT

Re: VPN to work

Hi Telstra

I'm having exactly the same issue

with a gateway max modem

the laptop has been configured to connect the VPN at work

here Is my troubleshooting steps

1. my work IT has confirmed that VPN working fine
  2. I've tried with the following broadband networks IINET & OPTUS it works 100%
  3. Tethering via Optus Mobile 100% success
  4. Tethering via Telstra Mobile (my own) it works 100%
  5. my HFC cable connection at home it FAILS  - 100%

can someone please provide a solution

i've spoken to 7 people from the telstra customer service team billing and tech support

I still don't have an answer

HELP

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: VPN to work

I would suggest that you try the following.

1. Confirm if the modem is the source of the issue by disabling both Wi-Fi networks before you disable the NAT. From here you can connect an Ethernet cable to the modem from your computer and then test. 

2. If the above resolves the issue, you should consider contacting Telstra Platinum on 137 587 for assistance with configuring the modem to work with your VPN connection or connect a BYO router

- Shelly

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now