Highlighted
mpotts
Level 2: Rookie

Very Slow Upload Speed but Very High Download Speed

Answered

For a very long time now, my download speed has been very fast, running at an average speed of 34Mbps, but my upload speed is even lucky to get to 1Mbps, it is always averaging around 0.7Mbps. It is almost impossible for to upload anything, and if I try, it will take a very long to do so.

I do use cable as my area does not support NBN, or even ADSL yet. All I am asking is for any advice as to how I can fix, or even improve my upload speed a little bit.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Very Slow Upload Speed but Very High Download Speed

Hey, only way to improve your upload speed on cable is to get a speed boost, however that will only increase the upload to a maximum possible of around 2mbps while the download will increase to around 100mpbs.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Accepted Solution

Hey, only way to improve your upload speed on cable is to get a speed boost, however that will only increase the upload to a maximum possible of around 2mbps while the download will increase to around 100mpbs.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Hello
Have you considered wireless 4gx internet?
Even with 2 bars of signal you can reliably get 70 mb/s down and high 20's up.Thanks
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. My motto: "Doing the right thing is never wrong".
Platypus5
Level 1: Cadet

Hi I have the same problem. My upload speed is 0.27 this morning. Download is fine about 27.
I tried Uniti wireless in Adelaide but it won't work for my house. Can you suggest any other companies.
I'm sick of spending days trying to get my photos to upload.
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Other than switching across to a mobile based service, it is a case of waiting for the NBN.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Hello
I suggest Telstra mobile internet which I use. I'm not a Telstra employee or contractor.
Thank you
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. My motto: "Doing the right thing is never wrong".
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

0,27 Mbps upload seems slow even for Telstra Cable. Are you connected via WiFi or do you have a Wired connection to the gateway?

If using WiFi there might be a problem with the WiFi in one direction. Try changing the WiFi channel in the gateway. I have seen this increase the speed dramatically from less than 0.1 Mbps upload to 5 Mbps on one of my devices. This was on a NBN connection.  

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

If you have the base speed for Cable, the maximum upload is 1 Mbps (30 Mbps download), and 2 Mbps (100 Mbps download) with the speed boost.

When you are performing speed tests, make sure that you turn off all but one device that is connected to your modem (via an Ethernet cable if possible) and ensure that there are no cloud services or uploads running at that time. This will give you the most accurate results of the uploads speed that is available to you.

If you are only able to connect via Wi-Fi to the modem, download the Telstra Home Dashboard app which will help with testing and mapping the Wi-Fi coverage in your home. This will let you see if Wi-Fi interference (not just signal strength) is impacting the speeds that you are sending and receiving at.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

WalkerB

Hi there,

I have the "super fast" broadband plan and my downloads are generally above the 100 mbps (which is good) but over the last few weeks my upload speeds have been well below the normal 2.0 mbps.

Very frustrating when I pay the additional costs and not getting the service... When I updated my OneDrive the other day it took 3 full days to update.  That is "**bleep**" in anyone's data language...

I am fearful of the NBN and it's oppressive service.  I have cable and is fine with me.. I hope the scallywags at Telstra are not surreptitiously installing NBN...

I have NBN 100/40, I'm getting 98/38n was working 5 mins after the NBN installers left. When you get NBN you will find your upload speed will improve significantly.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Walker,

Thanks for reaching out on Crowd Support, may I ask if you've had a chat to our Technical NBN team on 1800 834 273 regarding your speeds? If so, what have they advised you?

-Zoe 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Garngetrooted

I’m on nbn 50/20 and for past year get speeds of 38/3 before that they were good, have been told nbn problem and nothing telstra can do, 12mths of long waits on hold and all the wasted hrs of trouble shooting to be told bulls*** when my download speeds hasn’t changed while upload has gone to sh**

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more