CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Alexo222
Level 2: Rookie

WAN Connection Down

Answered

I keep getting a TELSTRA GATEWAY MAX message - " your WAN connection is down".  The only way I can fix it is too power down my cable modem, unscrew the cable connection, wait 10 - 20 seconds then rescrew the connection and power up the modem (Netgear Telstra Gateway Max C63008D - 1TLAUS). The modem is difficult to access and it is a major PITA and timewaster every time it happens.  I am on Telstra's Ultimate package.

The problem is intermittent: it might be fine for a week to 10 days, then occur three or four times a day every day for a few days then be OK again for a while. I'm unable to detect a pattern as to time of day, weather etc.

A Telstra contract tech attended about six weeks ago and apart from testing my signal didn't do anything else. He explained that it was just Telstra preparing the area for NBN.  That excuse is now wearing pretty thin.  

Background: I moved house four months ago and kept the same modem from my old home as I was told it was the current model.  The cable at my new home hadn't been used for a number of years and many of the cable runs had to be replaced to get the correct signal levels. There is approximately a 40 metre run from the street to my home cable junction box.

Was I being snowed by a lazy tech or does his explanation sound likely?  I've put up with the interuptions for four months now and as I'm soon departing for overseas am worried that my non-tech family remaining at home will struggle to have internet when they need it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Alexo222
Accepted Solution

Re: WAN Connection Down

Well, the new tech attended as booked and said that because of my longer than normal cable run from the street I wasn't getting a strong enough signal at all times. He installed a powered signal booster at no cost and was on his way in 20 minutes.

In the five days since there have been no WAN dropouts, so fingers crossed, this was the solution. 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Oziyaps
Level 1: Cadet

I have the exact same problem including the NBN in the local area comments. Which part of Melbourne are you having these issues in?
Alexo222

I'm in Mosman, Sydney. I've had multiple dropouts daily since my post, including Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Highly doubtful NBN were working then and even if they were, it is simply unacceptable service.
BenjiC
Level 11: Detective

@Alexo222 we've had the same issue since the 19th
Alexo222

This problem is still occurring multiple times daily, so I've now booked another tech visit and won't be snowed by the same "explanation". The Telstra person I spoke to this time said she could see all my outages and "they all lit up like a Christmas tree."  She said it was almost certainly a line problem that should have been fixed by the last tech visit.  Hopefully it will be rapaired and I'll post the result here for any people experiencing the same problem.

The question to be answered by Telstra of course, is why do they continue to hire these incompetent tech contractors?  There seems no system to weed the incompetents from the good ones and thus raise the overall standard.  Telstra does seem to be making efforts to raise customer service standards but there is still quite a way to go.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

There are several different levels of Cable technicians that are sent to attend to faults which is determined by the results of tests and troubleshooting that we get customers to perform. Without accessing your case history, it is not possible to determine if the Cable tech who attended previously was correctly skilled to correct the issue or if that technician had escalated this for a higher level investigation.

Let us know how you go after this next tech visit.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

BenjiC
Level 11: Detective

@Shellock how do they know to send the right technician. We had our second one come today and he still wasn't able to fix our issues. It can't be that hard to have them know a bit of everything to fix multiple possible issues instead of having certain people for certain issues. We have had no internet since the 16th Dec. It's beyond a joke
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@BenjiC - The results of the troubleshooting and test results will determine the type of technician that is organised to attend. This may be escalated for a higher level network investigation if there are more than three technician visits over a short period of time or if an attending technician raises the escalation.

Intermittent issues can be more difficult to resolve, particularly if the fault is not apparent at the time that the technician attends and there is no obvious issues such as corroded connectors  or damaged cabling.

If you continue to experience difficulties, please keep reporting the fault so that we can continue to investigate and escalate as required.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Alexo222
Accepted Solution

Well, the new tech attended as booked and said that because of my longer than normal cable run from the street I wasn't getting a strong enough signal at all times. He installed a powered signal booster at no cost and was on his way in 20 minutes.

In the five days since there have been no WAN dropouts, so fingers crossed, this was the solution. 

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about direct debit and the Telstra 24x7 App ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now