CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
OldPete
Level 2: Rookie

WAN light doesn't stop blinking

Answered

After a 4 week wait I now have my new Telstra Technicolour Gateway and have received an email to say my home broadband service is ready to go, but I cannot get through the installation process because the WAN light never stops blinking.

If I type the 10.0.0.138 address into Internet Explorer, I can see a Telstra page but I don't know what significance this has.

Does it mean my modem is working OK?

I have spoken to a number of tech support people and the latest suggestion is to wait another 2 weeks for a techo to come out.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: WAN light doesn't stop blinking

Hey OldPete,

It's great to hear that your internet is now up and running.

Could you mark this post as resolved as it may be of help to other customers.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi OldPete,

If the WAN light is continually flashing, this indicates that your modem is not seeing the network in order to connect. The fact that you can view the modems interface (http://10.0.0.138) means that your computer is able to communicate with the modem.

For new services, this may mean that there is a network fault, but quite commonly it is a simply configuration issue which is preventing it from connecting. If you could have a read through this link, it should highlight the things to look for and hopefully get you back up and running.

If you still have a flashing WAN light after those checks, then it certianly appears that a tech visit is required.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

OldPete

Thanks for your suggestion.

I did the isolation test with a techo on the phone the other night and have just repeated the test without success.

We've just bought the townhouse and do have a security system installed, possibly configured for B2B even though we don't use the B2B at present.

A neighbour in the adjoining townhouse had a central splitter fitted to the front of his building by Telstra so maybe we need one too.

Will try to be patient and wait for a techo.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi OldPete,

You don't need to go through Telstra for a central filter to be installed. Any electrician or contractor licenced to work on telephone cabling can install this for you.

OldPete

Thanks Shelly, but given that it may still not be the problem I think I should wait till the Telstra techo turns up. One is already booked to come out some time in the next two weeks. The last techo I spoke to "fixed some faulty programming" and there has been an ongoing list of other reasons for the delays and not working so I am reluctant to guess at what the next problem might be.Thanks again.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi OldPete,

You would have been advised that an incorrect call out charge may apply if privately maintained equipment is found to be the cause of your difficulties. This would apply to the alarm system.

The newer alarm systems have a telephone socket where you can disconnect the alarm, and as you advised that you don't have this activated, this would be a good way of ensuring that this not what is preventing your ADSL modem connecting.

The older alarm systems are hard wired in, and this should only be disconnected by a licenced cabler.

OldPete

Thanks again Shelly. I did find a phone connection for the alarm system, hidden away in a secret location. Disconnecting it had no effect however. Techo seems like best option.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi OldPete,

It's good that we can rule it out as a possible cause, however I agree, after eliminating all possible private equipment, the only resolution is to have a technician attend.

OldPete

Phone call this morning from a techo at the local exchange to say my ADSL hadn't been connected. That done I raced home, plugged in the modem. WAN light no longer flashing. Internet connection.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hey OldPete,

It's great to hear that your internet is now up and running.

Could you mark this post as resolved as it may be of help to other customers.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit