Greeny1121
Level 1: Cadet

Wan port alternative?

Answered

Hello.  Consider this part 2 of my previous question.

you see, mum has a old yellow Australian phone port, and I’m trying to get Internet in such a building. (I’m ultimately looking to enable and begin another service).

ive been trying with my own router, however, I see the wan port isn’t plugged in and likewise isn’t lighting up. I can see it needs to be plugged in, so my resolution so far is simple:

i need to find a wan port alternative

mum hasn’t a wan port at her home. That’s the problem.

is there such a device that can help get a wan service to this connection

image.jpgMums connection here at my building. Again there’s no wan plug on the wall.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Wan port alternative?

You need a DSL modem router and need to apply for an ADSL service. Connect modems DSL port to the phone port using a ADSL filter /splitter and RJ11 to 600 phone plug adapter

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Accepted Solution

You need a DSL modem router and need to apply for an ADSL service. Connect modems DSL port to the phone port using a ADSL filter /splitter and RJ11 to 600 phone plug adapter

Greeny1121

Can you give a eBay search term or link?

can you maybe give me a diagram too?

Level 21: Augmented

If you plan to order ADSL service (or NBN service) for your mum, then you do not need to to search eBay. Such service comes with the modem/router.
After reading your other question (Part 1?) no, you cannot have one service in two locations.
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Greeny1121

The other service part is why I need to get a end result before buying a modem or router, I’d just hate to lose money and rush into things headlong... which isn’t like me to do so anyway.

im pretty sure that wraps up my line of questioning.

but a diagram would really be of use.

anyhow, thanks! I see I’ve learnt there are different routers for different connection methods. I never realised.  My building has FTtp, I just thought routers where universal. That much of course, is wrong.

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more