CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
TechNoFear
Level 1: Cadet

What is the minimum speed Telstra guarantees ADSL 2+ to connect at?

Answered

What is the minimum speed Telstra guarantees ADSL 2+ to connect at?

I asked a Telstra sales person what the minimum speed was they said the minimum was 8 Mb/s.

I asked for that in writing but they could not find it, nor could they find the minimum speed in any documentation.

Am I correct in thinking the minimum speed guaranteed by Telstra (for ADSL 2+) is 256 Kb/sec?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: What is the minimum speed Telstra guarantees ADSL 2+ to connect at?

Hi jjobrien,

Not since the 90s has anyone considered 0.33mbps to be a good speed, so I can understand your frustration with this. 

What affects your ADSL speed

The speed achieved on ADSL depends on a number of factors, the main one being the cable distance between your premises and the DSLAM. Whirlpool have an article that explains the relationship between distance and speed very well and you can view it here: http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/dslam_speeds

There are also DSLAMs that are affected by high demand, and lowering the overall speed available to customers. We are working on upgrading these exchanges and as upgrades are planned, these can be viewed here: http://telstrawholesale.com.au/download/document/tw-report-backhaul-upgrade.xls

The configuration of the equipment and internal wiring of your home can also have a big part to play in speed results.

How to check your equipment

It is possible that there is a fault within network (and not just a matter of cable length), but to confirm this we ask customers to perform an isolation test. We do this on every call as it can not only resolve or identify the issue sooner for customers, but also prevents an unnecessary technician visit and the possibility of an incorrect call out charge.

You have already checked these when you called previously, but to make sure a simple fix hasn't been missed, please take a look at this link for the things we look for: 

In some circumstances, applying a line profile can provide more stability on the network. This next link provides information on how this works and how customers can manage this setting.  This is mainly used for customers experiencing disconnections, however in some cases can also improve speed if the issue is caused by packet loss.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/How-To-Change-your-ADSL-Line-Profile/ta-p... [Note: after logging in, some customers will be redirected to My Account and need to perform the following steps to then select Account Services then My BigPond from the menu located at the top right of the page.]

If you are connected to your modem via WiFi, then this is also an area where speed can be lost. This WiFi Troubleshooting link may be helpful:  http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/WiFi-Troubleshooting/ta-p/107516    

If you have confirmed that the above has been done, and you would like for us to assist you further, please provide your contact and account details via the online form that I will send via private message. Please allow up to 5 business days for a response as we respond to each one in the order that it was submitted.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
110 REPLIES 110
Jonuz
Level 2: Rookie

I think its 1500kbps both for adsl1 and 2+
Level 23: Superhero

https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/broadband-speed-test-table
The 'minimum' expected speed is 110KB/s for both ADSL and ADSL2+.

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
TechNoFear

Thanks for the link.

The link provided states that Telstra 'expects' a minimum of 110 KB/sec (slower than 1.5Mbit/sec), which is slower than my current ISP which guarantees that ADSL 2+ will connect at a minimum of 1.5 Mbit/sec.

I had hoped that signing up with Telstra would get Telstra to finally fix the fault on my line, which has been deteriorating for the last 5 years.

123brentblue

Telstra Tech bloke at my place yesterday said 1.56mbps is the minimum when they are called out to fix / investigate problems and he also said they have to keep woking on it till achived.

LindaHallum

Tpg has minimum speed of 995kbps on adsl2 and can get up to 20Mbps (2.5MBps)
jjobrien
Level 3: Gumshoe

"Ben" from tech support measuerd the speed of my ADSL connection at 0.33 MBps.

He said the minimum, not the prefered, not the average, or maximum, but the minimum delivery speed should be 1.2

His supervisor "Ron" confirmed this.

So, by telstra's calculations, I'm getting about a quarter of what Telstra states is the minimum speed.

Ron said the problem was I lived too far away from the infrastrucure. I said do you think I should move my house closer?

He said no.

"Ira" from billing said she could not reduce the fee she was charging me because I had agreed to a 2 year contract.

I said, does Telstra have any obligations under this contract?, she said Yes. I said does Telstra have an obligation to deliver a minimum speed? She said Yes. I said is it illegal to dishonor a contract? she said Yes. I said "Are you recording this?" she said "Yes".

When I get home in the evening and want to do some catch up work/activity on the internet, I can't. 

If you think I should be paying for more than one quarter of the package price, then please go ahead and explain your position clearly.

Feel free to speak to "Ben", "Ron" or "Ira" and listen to their recording first. Put aside at least an hour.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi jjobrien,

Not since the 90s has anyone considered 0.33mbps to be a good speed, so I can understand your frustration with this. 

The speed achieved on ADSL depends on a number of factors, the main one being the cable distance between your premises and the DSLAM. Whirlpool have an article that explains the relationship between distance and speed very well and you can view it here: http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/dslam_speeds

There are also DSLAMs that are affected by high demand, and lowering the overall speed available to customers. We are working on upgrading these exchanges and as upgrades are planned, these can be viewed here: http://telstrawholesale.com.au/download/document/tw-report-backhaul-upgrade.xls

The configuration of the equipment and internal wiring of your home can also have a big part to play in speed results.

It is possible that there is a fault within network (and not just a matter of cable length), but to confirm this we ask customers to perform an isolation test. We do this on every call as it can not only resolve or identify the issue sooner for customers, but also prevents an unnecessary technician visit and the possibility of an incorrect call out charge.

You have already checked these when you called previously, but to make sure a simple fix hasn't been missed, please take a look at this link for the things we look for: 

In some circumstances, applying a line profile can provide more stability on the network. This next link provides information on how this works and how customers can manage this setting.  This is mainly used for customers experiencing disconnections, however in some cases can also improve speed if the issue is caused by packet loss.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/How-To-Change-your-ADSL-Line-Profile/ta-p... [Note: after logging in, some customers will be redirected to My Account and need to perform the following steps to then select Account Services then My BigPond from the menu located at the top right of the page.]

If you are connected to your modem via WiFi, then this is also an area where speed can be lost. This WiFi Troubleshooting link may be helpful:  http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/WiFi-Troubleshooting/ta-p/107516    

If you have confirmed that the above has been done, and you would like for us to assist you further, please provide your contact and account details via the online form that I will send via private message. Please allow up to 5 business days for a response as we respond to each one in the order that it was submitted.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

jjobrien

Hi jjobrien,

https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/adsl-line-profiles [Note: after logging in, some customers will be redirected to My Account and need to perform the following steps to then select Account Services then My BigPond from the menu located at the top right of the page.]

If you are connected to your modem via WiFi, then this is also an area where speed can be lost. This WiFi Troubleshooting link may be helpful: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/WiFi-Troubleshooting/ta-p/107516    

- Shelly

Wow. Thanks Shelly. I could all do that, but given I have been onto this issue for years on end, and Telstra have freely admitted that their infrastucture is inadequate of delivery their own quoted minimum speeds, I think you are being completely unreasonable.

I can understand that getting cutomers to do your work for you is better for you economically, and that using your own staff and technichians would cut into your profits, reported to be 3.8 Billion last year, I get that, I'm in business too, but we have a contract, you and I, and I'm fulfilling my part of that contract and you are not.

My part says that I will pay you. Your part says that you will deliver a service.

So as I see it, and I'm not a comercial contract lawyer, perhaps you are, maybe "Ira" from billing is, who knows, but as I see it you have a responsibility to either A: upgrade the service - we both know that is not going to happen, because I have been informed by Telstra directly that no upgrade is scheduled, and I followed the link you sent me to report/backhaul-upgrade.xls to a blank document that I couldn't make sense of, or B: change the contract and charge me far less. I propose that you charge me on a pro rata basis. If you deliver 25% speed, I pay 25% fee. 

You must understand here, I'm not proposing that upgrade a DSLAM and/or that you dig a trench and lay a fancy new cable to my house just so that I cmay enjoy a first world luxury, Im not saying that. What I am saying is that we have a billing issue.

How do you see it?

John.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi John, 

Shelly has provided you with a lot of in depth information to assist with troubleshooting your service speed enquiry. I'm sorry if you feel this is unreasonable. If you've been advised that there's a minimum guaranteed speed this is incorrect, I apologise if that's what you were told. There is no minimum guaranteed speed. There is however a minimum quality of service which relates to decibel loss during pre-activation order processing. If a line has decibel loss over the acceptible level to at least meet our minimum quality guidelines we will not connect that service. Which means that as we connected your line it has met or exceeded the minimum service quality guidelines and troubleshooting your speeds is the best way to assist you. If you'd prefer to adress this as a billing issue you're welcome to contact Billing securely to discuss your concerns, I would recommend requesting an SR reference number to keep track of your billing complaint. Billing is available on 13 22 00 (Mon - Fri 07:00 - 21:30, W/E 07:00 – 19:30) or LiveChat here 24x7 http://tel.st/49kl Smiley Happy

MKOA

Hi,

I have had the same issue as you mate.  I have been signed up for ADSL2+ which has been confirmed several time throughout the past 2.5+ years of this connection with Telstra.  I have received the story about how lines are affected by distance and everything else and told everytime my connection was considered "Good".

Tonight after another discussion with Telstra they have finally found that while my account reads as ADSL2+ the actual programming for my line from the exchange has only ever been ADSL1 (NEVER have i been advised of this).

Get the Tech guys to check your connection programming........ And confirm you are getting what you are in fact told your getting.

Mine should now be fixed by 9pm tomorrow night but has left me very unhappy with Telstra atm.

jjobrien

"There is no minimum guaranteed speed" This is your answer? Cass_Telstra says "There is no minimum guaranteed speed"

No wonder you don't bother upgrading your infrastructure. Nice business model.

BUCK

Hold on 1sec i have been told many times that there is a minimum speed of 1.5mbps and even had one of your Tech connect to my computer more then once by the way and ran a test and even tho i was reaching just over that he said i was over the 1,5mbps minimum. So what you are now saying is Telstra does not have to supply any speed guarantee for ADSL+2 users wow, nice. So Customers service all the way up to your Tech support have been laying to me all this time nice to know. So i guess my lastest report to you guys about poor service will just be pasted over and like last time this happen i will just have to go to the Telecommunications Ombudsman to get you to fix the exchange that you had overloaded again.

http://www.tio.com.au for people who feel the servise they pay for is not up to standanded after you have tried to fix the problem with Telstra. Something you guys should also tell people if they are not happy which you don't.

Mrs_Te

i'm on a $160 500gb per month sadly our internet speed is extremly slow also 8mbps.

Very unhelpful telstra technician only came visited to insult Taylors Lakes 

tech guy came around said we were far from the exchange 2.6km unfortunately moving to different suburb might fix the issue.

I am waiting to hear from Telstra again to resolve the problem and offer some real HELP!!  

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Mrs_Te,

Distance from the exchange is one of the biggest factors in the speeds you can achieve on ADSL. If you are 2.6km from the exchange there wouldn't be much that can be done to increase your speeds past the 8 mb/s you are currently getting. 

Gards6965

Mrs_Te, are you really getting 8mbps? Thats travelling first class so not sure what your problem is. Most of us are getting a maximum 1.5 After a lot of calls it got up to 3 but has quickly retreated back to 1.5. I have also discoverd that the maximum download at the exchange is 5 so hope of ever getting the 8 that I pay for with a supposed ADSL2+ modem. Our only chance is the NBN but thats being slowed so dont expect to see it in my lifetime :-( 

chris_A

wow i wish i could get 1.5 mbps i am lucky to get .4 mbps my internet was fast as ightning years ago but telstra has since told me that my port has been congested and there is nothing they can do about it

freelancebi

Oh My! You're getting 8? I have NEVER got over 3.7 and that's while I'm on the phone with Telstra! I started thinking that they can push the speed up while on the phone with their customers just so we hang up the phone! Anyway, it's appalling the way Telstra has its business.. internet in Colombia and Brazil are faster than this! 

Himsy

I have read this thread with interest.

It appears I am not Robinson Crusoe struggling with Telstra pathetic d/l speeds.

I have recently gone from a few years of 4 mbps to now less than 2 mbps.

Perhaps I should be happy with this speed and jus shup?

Fraid not.

What makes matters worse is the promises of "support" staff on the 24/7 chat help line that they will endeavour to make enquiries and call me back....only to be misleading broken promises..... twice now this has happened... have I ever had any feedback you ask?..... nopers

Pretty much given up on anything better than <2 mbps.... sick of playing the gambling game of turn off/turn on modem hoping for a better connection........

Oh and this was a giggle.....

so what recourse is availalable for not being able to use the internet?
Carlo Magno
Actually we can request for billing compensation once the issue has been fixed.

Now that's a perfect business model!..... and ummmm the incentive/motivation to repair a fault is pay compensation... yeh like that will evah work

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Himsy,

If you experience a reduction of speeds then this is something that we can investigate, but there are a few things to keep in mind when performing speed tests. You may have already confirmed these are disabled/disconnected when performing a speed test, but please have a look to make sure that there wasn't something overlooked.

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband-KB/Testing-your-broadband-speed/ta-p/278139

If you contact Tech Support and the test results indicate a fault in the network, then a technician can be organised to investigate this further for you.

- Shelly

andrepoisson

You will all have to face it. Australia with all its liveability hype has still the broadband of a third world country - or worse. Telstra BigPond have shown that they don't actually have our connectivity wellbeing at heart, they nurture their monopoly and will preserve that at all costs to increase returns to shareholders and line the pockets of their upper management regime. I was recently in remote desert of western USA – connected with 25mbs(!) and it was free. The best I've ever had here is 6.1mbs but the norm is under 1mbs. BigPond should be delisted and fined billions for breach of contract, but that would only happen in a democracy . . .

GARYT

What a disgusting way to treat customers! 

notGOODenough

My 2c on telstra service and how I fixed my sudden slow issue.

About a year ago my seed droped dramaticly using an ADSL modem, I contacted Telstra and went through the usual ping/speed test and they gave me the same response they give all of their customers "high congestion, to far from wherever", all excuses that didnt explain why I had better speeds for 2 years prior (better as in 3.1). It was if they were telling me that another 1000 residents suddenly connected in my area and my line length grew another 50 kilomiters.

I went through all their trouble shooting and the best answer they came up with was get a new ADSL2+ modem. I thought what the hell maybe it will work and hopefully I will get better speeds than before. I purchased the tecnocolor gateway xxxx, pluged it in for no improvemen for my $100+ investment, Rang them again and voiced my opinion of thanks for nothing now im $100+ out of pocket and got the usual "we will ring you back", 1 week later no phone call.

BUT HERE IS THE KICKER!!!!!

My wife said to me have you noticed the buzzing sound on the phone? I said no, becaus it was so low down it was hard to hear. My wife rang telstra and complained about this fuzzy/buzzy noise on the phone and they had a tech out the next day and fixed it.

WHAT DO YOU KNOW ! Back to my blistering 3.1 speed I use to get on my ADSL router, only diferance is I now have an ADSL2+ Tecnicolour peice of junk performing at ADSL speed, Seems like my line is only capable of 3.1max, so the advice from telstra of "purchase an ADSL2+" was a compleat kick in the teeth, surley they know what the max line speed is for each area and if it dosent exeed ADSL speeds then why sugest an ADSL2+ modem????????????

Thanks for nothing Telstra I think I will take my money I give you for my high bandwith/speeds and do some reserch into another provider who is happy to help their customers, that is if there is one out there who is not subject to using the Telstra monopoly monsters resorces.

GGF

TheProuses

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/39701

Useless ol' Telstra....Been paying for ADSL 2 for years and it doesn't get much faster than this!!! It may go up to maybe 3MBps or even 5MBps on a rare day....I live in Andergrove and am constantly being told that the exchange for Andergrove is actually in Slade Point......No wonder its so damn slow in Andergrove!! Useless!!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi TheProuses,

The speeds available in your home are dependant upon a number of factors due to the limitations of the technology.

The primary one is the cable length between your home and the exchange. Whirlpool have a good article which discusses the relationship between ADSL Speed, attenuation and cable distance which can be found: http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/dslam_speeds

The following links may help to improve the quality of your speed test results:

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband-KB/Testing-your-broadband-speed/ta-p/278139

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/How-to-perform-an-Isolation-Test/ta-p/5501...

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/WiFi-Troubleshooting/ta-p/107516   

https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/adsl-line-profiles [Note: after logging in, some customers will be redirected to My Account and need to perform the following steps to then select Account Services then My BigPond from the menu located at the top right of the page.]

- Shelly

Philby09

Have any of you checked your asdl filters, if you have a phone plugged into same line, I just did and must of been faulty once I replaced filter and rebooted router modem, my speed has gone from 3 to 11mbps, still not what I would say I should get on addl2+ being only 500m from nearest Exchange according to Telstra broadband Business Support member and why a Telstra Tech is coming out tomorrow to check why. I am on Business asdl2+ if that makes any difference.
Philby09

that solution link above in 1st post doesn't work, doesn't find page.
troybishop

This will give you an indication of congestion of lines over time;

2010 - Line speed test ADSL2+ 13-15 Mb/sec

2013 - Line speed test ADSL2+ 9-11 Mb/sec

2014 - Line speed test ADSL2+ 7-9 Mb/sec

2015 - within a week 3-5 Mb/sec

Raised with Technical and was advised that this is the average speed for service 3.4km from exchange.

I provided additional information regarding speeds experienced previously and requested additional information to why the line has degraded significantly over that time with no preventative maintenance applied to the exchange.  No response nor resolution to the question.

I have had no major issues with Telstra, hence why I still remain on their services, but;

I am now paying for an ADSL2+ service which is only x 2 speed compated to ADSL1.

Now with the kids as teenagers and the XBOX synced.  This is starting to get a little frustrating.

Due to recent line dropping;

I spent 100's of dollars with new R7000 router and modem, cabling, shorterning cable connection lengths etc, still to find that it is not my equipment or wiring, but the distance.

Interesting data!

nickvand

man I wish my speed was 8 Mb/s, i have been running speed tests through out the day and my maximum so far is

0.5 Mb/s and considering i was told instore that my expected speed should exceed 1.5 Mb/s had left me very disappointed.

otherwise

I get from zero 0.0kbs up to 477kbs on a good day. Years ago I think I saw 800kbps but I may have been dreaming.

That's 0.8Mbps for those in the Mega bit range. 

Link often drops out if the phone rings but does anyway several times a day and I have to re-power the modem, sometimes it comes back, some days it just won't connect to the exchange at all.

Downloading this mornining at 3 - 20 KBps

Over Dec 2014 I had no internet for a month. It was two weeks before first tech came out and couldn't find anything wrong but still no internet. Another two weeks for 2nd tech to come out and can't find anything wrong but still doesn't work.

Later he said he swapped a card in the exchange, and then it worked again!

That was then into Jan 2015 and the connection is and has been still crap.

Re: What is the minimum speed Telstra guarantees ADSL 2+ to connect at? My response is it's got to be a good deal more than zero (0)

Sparhawk122

I called support as my connnection has slowed dramatically since this past Friday and conducted a speedtest at www.speedtest.net which said for my download speed I'm getting maybe 4.36Mb/s (megabits) whereas 8Mbits equals 1MB/s (megabyte) so the average speed I was getting before was 2.1Megabytes per second. I should be getting 21Mbits/s but am only getting one fifth of that. And the Telstra lady went on to say that the lower case b stood for bytes not bits and thus made me more confused of whence I went on google and verified that I am right in that Mb/s stands for megabits, not bytes.

How does a Telstra employee who are supposed to be the subject matter experts (SME) in regards to this level of knowledge not know this and believe that my speed is perfectly fine??????????? And why has my download speed slowed down so much of late.

Here's a link explaining the difference between the two >

http://www.ronstauffer.com/blog/your-internet-speed-megabits-vs-megabytes/

Ads83

The tech experts you are talking to on the telephone are just ordinary people going through a checklist, not true IT experts. So if you have some idea about computers and you can rule out a lot of their checklist items it can be frustrating going through it with them on the phone. Once they have gone through the checklist and they are almost on the same page as you with what the problem could be they might spin some crap about buying a new modem etc.. Etc.. The truth is everyone I know with Telstra at the moment is getting 250kb/sec due to their lack of infrastructure. I was getting 1000 kb/sec with another Internet Provider. It is a bit rich Telstra can charge almost double then others and give speeds that are 20% of what they should be. I could pay for adsl1 speeds with another provider and still get faster than Telstra adsl2+ at the moment. Netflix and other streaming content can't be used with these speeds. I am a brand new customer and have a tech expert coming to the house in the next couple of days but am expecting no solution and just bullcrap answers. I personally think no money is being spent to fix adsl problem as focus is on the NBN
Ads83

Interesting data. Tech person came round and the problem was not isolated to my house or modem, it was the line speed at the end of the street. He improved the speed by 4x, 250kb/sec to 1000mb/sec. But the speed drops to half this in peak times. Hope NBN or more affordable data plans on 4G is available in my street soon.
Chappy1979

I'm so glad i read this thread before posting my own. Considering everything you all have said, we probably live in the same street.

So pretty much everything you have all posted is spot on. No help from Telstra. There computer says everything is ok....so its ok. I waited 37 mins for them to tell me that. My only explaination is that between the hours of 11pm -7am, Telstra moved the exchange further from my house. Honestly! The drop in speed was noticed the next morning and has never changed.

I've been informed the the NBN missed our estate because the infrastructure wasn't ready at the time. The only estate in metro melb not NBN ready. They have no plans to come back in the near future because it would mean interuption to services and there isnt enough of us efffected.

Tried to cancel the lot yesterday but to do that i have to put aside a whole afternoon to do it. My call will get transfered to every department, I'll explain my reasons for cancelling to every person, and more than likley it will acheive nothing.

We have 2 mobiles, ADSL2+, Foxtel, a tablet, home phone, and have paid $450+ on time every month for seven years. B

Fortunatelty im not contracted to Telstra so i just won't be paying any more bills. But please feel free to call me, I wont be calling you again.

Culebron

I had an ADSL service installed in my holiday house in Malua Bay NSW about a month ago. The house is about 2 km from the nearest Telstra exchange and about 1 km from the nearest Telstra mobile phone tower. I get 4 mbps via the 4G network but only 1 mbps via the ADLS network. To say that I am extremely disappointed is an understatement.The mobile service also costs me 50% of the ADSL service, which (being Telstra) also comes with a landline which I neither need nor want.

I have already ditched Telstra from my permamanent home in Canberra in favour of TransACT VDSL. I used to get 4 mbps over the ADSL link which is about 5 km from the nearest exchange. I now get 60 mbps from TransACT, and for the same price as the old Tesltra service.

Come on Telstra - am I missing something? I was expecting something considerably better than 4 mbps in Malua Bay being less than half the distance from the exchange, but instead I get 25% of the speed.

I'm about to call tech support and will then follow-up with sales.

Rob

Canberra

josam

I have been having problems with my ADSL connection and in turn my wi fi speed for about the last 12 months. Was on the phone with a technician for 3 hours last night and the best we could get was 1.3Mbps. I also have my mobile through telstra and in exactly the same spot i am getting a whopping 38.5Mbps through 4G. How the heck does that work?????

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi josam, 

The technology which provides ADSL2+ and 4G are different so the results will be different.

- Ben

axialflow

I swear to god every time i contact Telstra with a particular issue where i cannot connect to the internet, BAM they answer and the internet connects instantly..
GloryMacca

I'm in the same boat. Live 15km south of Bunbury CBD, second biggest city in WA, and get speeds of about 1.3 Mbps if I'm lucky (last week was so bad I got 0.11Mbps!!). Have downgraded to ADSL 1 as it's more stable than 2+ and I can't get it anyway. Had to buy a wireless 4G router, which will only give me 25GB/month max. So I have 2 internet connections, costing me a fortune, one of which offers me 1000MB/mth at such a useless speed I could never hope to use that in a year, and the other at a slow (but semi-usable) speed but which we use up in a week or so (and that's despite trying to ration it as best we can).

Went to the NBN rollout page and put in my address. There is colour coding over a map indicating which type of broadband is available in my area. Literally my house and my three neighbours are grey, indicating no broadband at my house, either now or proposed. Everyone else between me and the Bunbury CBD all have it.

I'm about 7km from the nearest exchange. Someone was telling me about "top hats". I believe my area needs a tophat installed nearby, so we only have the copper wire for 1-2km. It's a disgrace to be so close to a major city centre and get such terrible internet in 2015.

Stacey0900

My question is... if Telstra knows and admits that the Broadband speeds and quality of connection is lower for houses that are further away from the exhange then why don't we pay less? 

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Stacey0900, 

The price is not based on speeds. All ADSL, Cable, Velocity and NBN plans have the same price (with speed boost available at extra cost on Fibre networks due to the technology).

Speeds are going to depend on your location, as you will have a specific technology available. 

whycompromise

I have lived in Casuarina (Northern NSW Coast) for the past two years.

Telstra is the only service provider. I was dselighted to recieve Downloads on 20Mbs via my ADSL2+ in the first instance. I incorporated a Telstra T Box in the Bundle to stream movies.

My Speed rapidly declined and at times I could not open a web page for days let alone stream a movie!. In disgust TI complianed. Telstra told me that they consider speeds above 2.5Mbs as acceptable, even though those speeds are not functional for internet brousing and most of Telstra's Web based services which I pay for every month.

Foxtel and T box have reduced the quality of the picture grossly to enable slightly better streaming. Apple TV or Sony Playstaion downloads can take a day for a single TV episode to download, but at least they are in HD. 

So of course i spent months on and off the phione to half of the Phillipino Telstra staff. Litterally several hours at a time day after day to try and find out what the problem was. Eventually the just said it was congestion!  End of story. Stiff Cheese! Nothing can be done. I have a client who works for telstra locally who says there are issues with the local network that Telstra is aware of and can fix but they wont.

So I complained to the Telecommunications Ombudsman.(The Ombudsman's Office is a very helpful service and I recommend it when you are being bullied and Telstra refuse to accept that they are NOt providing the service they contracted top, or worse.)

End result - Telstra opffered to cancel my contract and refund me 3 months of my premiums. 

Sounded good, BUT THERE IS NO OTHER SERVICE PROVIDER.  In other words I could use the 3G/4G mobile broadband service. So my 100Gb/month download would now cost me $685 per month at mobile broadband rates! Thanks Telstra!

The speed has picked up a little and it is less often in the 1-2 MBbps range but never much more than 5-8Mps.

Now with Presto, Netficks, T-Box, Foxtel iTunes and more Web based video streaming services taking up all the bandwith there is no relief in the near future.   Even with the NBN, the speed will be throttled at the node thanks to Abbott and Turnbull who in their wisdom decided to end the NBN network there!

Despite this Telstra says are world leaders in telco technology. 

Who are they kidding. Sure in Brisbane i can get 35Mbs on my Optus 4G but the coverage is to the lucky few and at exhorbitant cost $55 per 8GB or more. 

Attached is aan EXCel worksheet demonstrating my speedtests over  the period in question. I colour coded the speed for you Red= Below Telstras acceptable speed!Speedtests past 2 years.tiff

Bee5

I think its safe to say that Telstra seems like an "Evil corp". Afer reading a few stressfull situations and thougts of Telstra customers it seems that nothing has changed within nearly 3 years.

I was highly considering going with Telstra's ADS. Unfortunately after talking to a sales rep who tried to divert me immediantly from the question "Whats the minimum guaranteed speed that Telstra provides for ADSL?". She was already trying to upgrade me to ADSL+2, increase limit for landline calls, add a modem and increase internet limit before i even finished the question.
I knew from then that Telstra will be losing a customer next year when my contract ends.
Eventually with me being flat and persistent, about not letting the sales rep cut me off mid sentence, I got an answear.

There is no guarantee.

In other words customers (cash cows) can pay for a potential service that they will never be able to use, due to there is no minimal guarentee.
The only guarentee Telstra offers is a bill.

Telstra fails with me. After numerous of excruciating phone calls with telstra to even update my residential/billing address they failed causing me to pay late fees, as i did not have a secure email address nor where they sending me SMS notifications to keep me updated. They had won the battle to see how long i would protest for my rights as a customer.

They guaranteed a bill, of course i payed as i signed the agreement.

Telstra is a business with no integrity.

Do not be suckered in by their packages.. you wont even be able to use any of it.

rerides

I returned to Telstra a few years ago. Service was better. However, now in Willoughby 2068 i only get 3-6mb max speed on my internet. It takes me back to the late 90's. I'm annoyed again, and seriously considering moving my all of my telco accounts away from Telstra once again.

Sloco

what should the average speed for ADSL 2+ be because at the moment I have .04 Mbps down load speed 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Sloco

There isn't any average speed that users should receive. The reason being that the speed you receive with an ADSL connection is mainly dependant on how far you are from your connection point. ADSL signal deteriorates the further you are from this point providing slower speeds the further away you are - right up to the point where a connection isn't possible. 

However, that speed would be extremely low - have you spoken to our Technical Support team to have it checked out? 

dts88

hello, is that normal to have spike for download speed?

I may get >10-18Mbps, and speed may reduced to 3Mbps+ the next minute (testing via speedtest)

Been contacting support for the last 3-4 weeks, has done various testing (isolation testing, noise reduction testing, replaced with new modem), but the issus is still exists.

Support insists the speed is acceptable ( >1.5Mbps).

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi dts88,

When performing a speed test, you are getting the speed available to that particular device at that particular time. This isn't always a good indication of the speeds available to the whole of your service. Please read through the following link which explains this in more detail.

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband-KB/How-To-Troubleshoot-Speed-Issues/ta-p/278139

- Shelly

Elainebatebay

Hi culebron.Im in north Batemans and also have speed issues.I think it would be fair to say that Telstra have concentrated on mobile infrastructure over recent decades at the expense of hard wired assets.The current state of pits in the street all over the country reflects this.The nbn debacle has just prolonged the agony for us as Telstra does not see value in upgrading back haul capacity when the nbn freeway is coming up the coast shortly.I just read that the recent 3 year work program does not include malua bay.It says work will start in early 2017 for fibre to the node.But only as far as surf beach.All the best.
iamhere

This is what I found on the telstra site:

OTHER INFORMATION Broadband speeds • On ADSL1, download speeds are up to a maximum of 8Mbps. • On ADSL2+, download speeds are up to a maximum of 20Mbps. • Actual speeds vary due to a number of factors such as your distance from an exchange, the network connecting the exchange, your equipment and software and internet traffic. • About 50% of customers in ADSL2+ areas will have access speeds around 10Mbps or more and about 70% of ADSL customers in ADSL1 areas will have access speeds around 6Mbps or more.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now