kmcjz
Level 2: Rookie

What is the point of the smart modem backup mobile data? It's useless.

So I was apparently switched to NBN on Tuesday (according to the email I received it was successful). Unfortunately despite multiple attempts to find out what the problem is and multiple different excuses from multiple Telstra staff, my modem is stuck on mobile data only. I can't even stream one TV show on ONE device without it constantly freezing. Telstra staff seem to think as long as I have mobile data I don't really have a problem. You can bet I'll be going into a competitors store on Monday to sign up with someone who can actually provide a service.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: What is the point of the smart modem backup mobile data? It's useless.

I am able to stream HD video on backup. Have you done a speed test to check actual speed off backup? The back is limited to 6 Mbps but if used for extended period of time can be throttled to 256 Kbps. The throttling can be removed by asking support to submit a web form for its removal.
kmcjz

Thank you cf4. I will try online chat now to submit the request.

Note: Would have been nice for just one of the Telstra staff I've spoken with over the last week to have known & offered this solution. 

kmcjz

Me again. Sorry cf4, while I logged the job yesterday (told it would be approved/completed within 4 hours), today I have 1.2Mbps download..... useless. Resetting doesn't help - within minutes it declines right back down. Thank you for trying though. Back to lodging multiple complaints that go nowhere.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @kmcjz,

I'm sorry to hear you're still having trouble, do you have a complaint lodged about this issue?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more