CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Sime14
Level 1: Cadet

What is this box for?

Answered

20191122_183705.jpg

Hi Everyone,

I've been told that as a sub-divided new property that Telstra can't service my address in Spotswood (6km from Melb CBD). They keep telling me that no comms work was done for my address but I have this box with Telstra on it. So can anyone tell me what this is for?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: What is this box for?

When a property is built the building contractor installs those boxes in preparation for a Telstra (Now NBN) phone connection. If a phone service has never been installed before there is no cable leading to the street. If you open the box you will probably find no street cable terminated, only a cord for pulling through the street cable.

Here is an example of one of those boxes taken from this Youtube video

https://youtu.be/6mc6xOYupEs?t=422

Network_Connection_Box.JPG

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 23: Superhero

To complicate issues, Telstra no longer owns or installs cables in the street. All that infrastructure is now owned by NBN, who I believe you should contact and clarify with. Telstra is now just a reseller for NBN.

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Sime14
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Thanks. I'm already going through the new development process with NBN Co but it doesn't really answer my question onto what the Telstra box is?

Accepted Solution

When a property is built the building contractor installs those boxes in preparation for a Telstra (Now NBN) phone connection. If a phone service has never been installed before there is no cable leading to the street. If you open the box you will probably find no street cable terminated, only a cord for pulling through the street cable.

Here is an example of one of those boxes taken from this Youtube video

https://youtu.be/6mc6xOYupEs?t=422

Network_Connection_Box.JPG

View solution in original post

Level 6: Bloodhound jhwiz
Level 6: Bloodhound

They’ll still install ADSL lines in areas not within NBN footprint if lead in requirements are met I.e all trenching complete.

While I am a Telstra employee, I am not an official Telstra representative on CrowdSupport. My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of Telstra.
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Spotswood is already NBN (FTTC mainly).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit