CrowdSupport®
sma888
Level 2: Rookie

What wifi channel we should use in order to set up an access point.

Answered

I have an asdl2+ Internet connection at home using the Telstra smart modem. Recently I want to use an old router to setup an access point in order to extend my wifi network to cover some blind spot in the house. The two routers will be connected via an ethernet cable. I would like to know should the two wifi network use different channel, and if so, what channel can I use?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: What wifi channel we should use in order to set up an access point.

The two routers should using different channels that have at least three channels separation between them. They should use the same SSID and password so that devices will automatically connect to router with stronger signal.

Set up second router as access point not a router. If there is not a Access point option in its GUI change its IP address so that it is not the same as the main router but within the same subset. (First three group of numbers are the same). Turn of DHCP in second router and connect it LAN port to LAN port on Main router.

Accepted Solution

Channels 1,6,or 11 are generally the best channels to use on 2.4ghz. Choose two of those, though generally the routers will try figure out the best channel to use on their own without manual intervention

For 5ghz, any that are non-DFS would be your best bet (some devices have a hard time connecting to DFS channels) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#5_GHz_(802.11a/h/j/n/ac/ax). Again the routers will try and automatically decide on their own
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

The two routers should using different channels that have at least three channels separation between them. They should use the same SSID and password so that devices will automatically connect to router with stronger signal.

Set up second router as access point not a router. If there is not a Access point option in its GUI change its IP address so that it is not the same as the main router but within the same subset. (First three group of numbers are the same). Turn of DHCP in second router and connect it LAN port to LAN port on Main router.

Accepted Solution

Channels 1,6,or 11 are generally the best channels to use on 2.4ghz. Choose two of those, though generally the routers will try figure out the best channel to use on their own without manual intervention

For 5ghz, any that are non-DFS would be your best bet (some devices have a hard time connecting to DFS channels) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#5_GHz_(802.11a/h/j/n/ac/ax). Again the routers will try and automatically decide on their own
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now