CrowdSupport®
Blacky17557
Level 6: Bloodhound

When do I connect the NBN Kit supplied by Telstra??

Answered

Hi. I have received my NBN Connection Kit from Telstra. My connection date is 5.5.2017. Reading the Easy Set-up Guide it says - Do not connect the New Modem until your Connection Date.  In other places I have read - When you receive your connection kit then install the new modem and set-up for the NBN.  I'm confused about when I should complete putting the new modem in place including connecting the phone to the modem.

Thanks!!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: When do I connect the NBN Kit supplied by Telstra??

You should connect the gateway no later than the 5/5/2017. If you have an ADSL connection It can be connected before that date, but if you connect it before you will need to connect using ta ADSL filter / splitter if yo still wan't to use the phone. Also the Internet connection might not work until you log in to the gateway click on Broadband, enter user name and password and ensure PPP enabled is on.

If connected before cut over you might notice a 10 minute interruption to phone and Internet  Once cut over the phone light on Gateway will turn on. You can now connect phone to gateway and remove the ADSL filter splitter. If you have any extra wall phone sockets remove any devices connected to these sockets.

Blacky17557
Accepted Solution

Hi and Thanks so much cf4!! I followed your instructions and you guessed it - all up and running smoothly - thanks to you!! I was a bit disappointed that there is only 2 ports to connect devices - one has to be the computer and i'm left with two devices to connect to one port!! Well you solved my issues and that is very much appreciated!!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

You should connect the gateway no later than the 5/5/2017. If you have an ADSL connection It can be connected before that date, but if you connect it before you will need to connect using ta ADSL filter / splitter if yo still wan't to use the phone. Also the Internet connection might not work until you log in to the gateway click on Broadband, enter user name and password and ensure PPP enabled is on.

If connected before cut over you might notice a 10 minute interruption to phone and Internet  Once cut over the phone light on Gateway will turn on. You can now connect phone to gateway and remove the ADSL filter splitter. If you have any extra wall phone sockets remove any devices connected to these sockets.

Blacky17557
Accepted Solution

Hi and Thanks so much cf4!! I followed your instructions and you guessed it - all up and running smoothly - thanks to you!! I was a bit disappointed that there is only 2 ports to connect devices - one has to be the computer and i'm left with two devices to connect to one port!! Well you solved my issues and that is very much appreciated!!

If you need more than two LAN ports and current gateway supports VDSL you can continue to use the current gateway for NBN.

Another alternative is turn your current gateway into a switch by setting it to Bridge mode and connect the WAN port of old gateway to LAN port of new gateway.

Blacky17557

Thanks for the additional information. The Modem that I have disconnected is a Telstra Max 2 - not sure if this is VDSL or not?

The only problem is that I have seen various comments relating to the T Voice 503 phone handset that I will be connecting wirelessly - that the only modem that will give this phone full functionality is the Sagemcom - which is the modem I have just connected??

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Blacky17557

If your modem only has  2 ports and Telstra branding then it will be the Sagemcom model.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now