CrowdSupport®
wagonmaster
Level 2: Rookie

When does “4G” in Telstra‘s Smart Modem actually kick in on adsl 2 if speeds drop less .65mbps

Hi

I have a ADSL 2 connection that usually runs at 3.3mbps to 4.5 mbps when it’s working, other times the speed will vary from .65 mbps tp 2 mbps, I updated to a Telstra Smart Modem with 4G backup, it appears that the 4G does not kick in even if the adsl 2 speed drops to less than .1 to 1mbps.

In the past when I call the fault line, and go thru all the checks that I have already done 3 times before I call, then after 1 hr on the phone only to be told that a technican will be out in 6 days to fix the problem.

My question is if the 4G backup speed of up to 6 mbps can actually be at times up to 6-10 times faster that my faulty adsl connection speed drops down to, why can’t telstra activate the 4G on my modem while I’m waiting for a technician to arrive, the backup 4G speed on the smart modem is faster than my Normal adsl 2 speed is anyway, after all you can’t do much anymore on .65 mbps while waiting 6 days for a fix.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: When does “4G” in Telstra‘s Smart Modem actually kick in on adsl 2 if speeds drop less .65mbps

The 4G backup is triggered by a lose of the fixed connection, the connection speed isn’t really considered relevant just if it can connect to the network or not. 

As it is meant to be a backup in the event of an outage I don’t know if I would expect them to change it any time soon, but alas I have been wrong before. 

That being said, ask the fault team the question if you can, they may be able to allow it... you would likely need to unplug the phone cable to trigger it though... 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: When does “4G” in Telstra‘s Smart Modem actually kick in on adsl 2 if speeds drop less .65mbps

The backup is designed for outages primarily not speed faults.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now