CrowdSupport®
ahortin
Level 2: Rookie

When is Telstra going to increase cable upload speeds?

Answered

It's 2015. Almost 2016. The crappy 2Mbps upload limit on Telstra cable just doesnt cut it anymore.

I perform online backups to BackBlaze. I sync multiple computers with Dropbox. I upload videos to YouTube and Vimeo. I upload large files to dozens of client websites. I use Skype and Google hangouts for chatting and networking with clients and colleagues. And use dozens of subscription services such as Adobe Creative Cloud and others.

Does anyone know if Telstra are ever going to increase the upload speed for Cable?

I love the Cable download speeds. On average I get anywhere between 50-112 Mbps. I would gladly forgo some of this download speed though if I could get significantly better uploads.

I live in the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne so the NBN is going to be at least 3 years away, most likely longer. Telstra need to realise that so many services that we use nowadays are online. This 2Mbps upload limit is just rubbish!

</endrant>

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: When is Telstra going to increase cable upload speeds?

Hello,

Telstra are progressively handing over/selling the HFC (cable) network to NBN

http://www.nbnco.com.au/sell-nbn-services/new-connections-newsletter/hfc.html

It's not going to happen!  ...that is Telstra increasing upload speeds...

NBN are taking ownership and control of the cable network as they progress suburb by suburb.

What/If NBN does in it's scaled down format is ????

Best wishes

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Hello,

Telstra are progressively handing over/selling the HFC (cable) network to NBN

http://www.nbnco.com.au/sell-nbn-services/new-connections-newsletter/hfc.html

It's not going to happen!  ...that is Telstra increasing upload speeds...

NBN are taking ownership and control of the cable network as they progress suburb by suburb.

What/If NBN does in it's scaled down format is ????

Best wishes

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
Level 24: Supreme Being

Once it is swapped over to NBN over HFC on DOCSYS3.1 after NBN Co take over, they have said that it will be able to get the 100/40Mbps speeds which are accessible to NBN FTTP customers...

However on DOCSYS3.0 Telstra have to protect the average experience and in its current format it does only have limited upload bandwidth and as such they limit it to help ensure it is able to be shared....

Plus your upload is still better then most people on ADSL who are stuck on average between 0.3-0.8Mbps...
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

ahortin

I appreciate both of your replies. Thanks for that. That's more info than I've ever got out of Telstra.

So basically I'm stuck with this until the NBN hits my area, which is literally going to be years and years. From what I can find, they don't even have a rollout schedule for my area.

I can understand them not wanting to overburden their network, but at the same time, if they offered increased speeds for a cost, then not everyone is going to take it up anyway and I'd be very surprised if their cable network couldn't handle some increase relatively easily.

Thanks for your responses though. Much appreciated.

NBN have moved to a "no listed schedule" approach. Unless work has started it will show as no schedule... Based on the information released by Turnbull about the hfc project, they are going to trial it this year, then start rolling out as soon as the start of next year and as it is only node upgrades rather then any changes to the cable it will be a lot quicker then even FTTN to be rolled out. Still likely to be 2017 for many hfc customers being migrated.

I get the point of higher priced upload, but if they offer 10Mbps and a quarter take it up, there is a heck of a lot of extra bandwidth... it would be a matter of testing it, and that would take investment which logically is going to be limited following an agreement to sell the network.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

ahortin

Thanks for that extra info. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Patience has never been one of my strong points.

A feeling I completely understand and emphasis with.
Helpful Links

Megabyte
Level 1: Cadet

@DrQwerty90 wrote:
Once it is swapped over to NBN over HFC on DOCSYS3.1 after NBN Co take over, they have said that it will be able to get the 100/40Mbps speeds which are accessible to NBN FTTP customers...

However on DOCSYS3.0 Telstra have to protect the average experience and in its current format it does only have limited upload bandwidth and as such they limit it to help ensure it is able to be shared....

Plus your upload is still better then most people on ADSL who are stuck on average between 0.3-0.8Mbps...

Thats DOCSIS not DOCSYS (Data Over Cable Service Internet Specification).

I dont understand this at all. Telstra have just quadrupled the bandwidth on the HFC rings as part of an upgrade to fix the oversubscription caused by Netflix and other streaming services.

The Download Channels were QAM64, and they have been upgraded to QAM256.

The upstream channel is ATDMA which I read goes back to the DOCIS1.0 standard.

Why not upgrade the upstream channel to QAM256.

OR bond a few channels for upstream ? 

Its really sad as its the only thing ruining what is otherwise a stellar broadband product.

Even 10meg would be an improvement!

M.

Pauljfurness
Level 1: Cadet

I stayed in a rented holiday apartment in Budapest Dec 2015. Wi fi included. When i checked why the internet was so fast, Speedtest confirmed 20 Mbps down 20 Mbps up ! The standstill in upload figures over the past ten years is lamentable. Thankyou, Telstra, for the free, faster CABLE modem upgrade but i still only have 1 Mbps upload ...

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now