CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
timetraveller
Level 3: Gumshoe

Which wifi to connect to? 5G? Gateway MAX

Answered

Hello,

Firstly, thanks to everyone's help - I'm now up and running.

I have the Gateway Max modem, it has two wifi connections available.

Both are called Telstra but one ends with '-5G'.

For my 2011 Mac Laptop (with N wifii), I've notice the Tesltra wifi without the '5G' designator is 5 times quicker on speed tests.

Which wifi should I connect to, and has it got to do with the device being AC wifi capable or not?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Which wifi to connect to? 5G? Gateway MAX

If your Mac only has 11n capable wifi, connect to the one without the 5G at the end.  The 2.4GHz band will give you far better coverage.

Your Mac is capable of connecting to the 5GHz band, but the range is much lower.  An 11ac capable device will get much better performance due to the way that that technology works.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Accepted Solution

If your Mac only has 11n capable wifi, connect to the one without the 5G at the end.  The 2.4GHz band will give you far better coverage.

Your Mac is capable of connecting to the 5GHz band, but the range is much lower.  An 11ac capable device will get much better performance due to the way that that technology works.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Liza10
Level 1: Cadet

Hi, Im having the same issue, except my laptop cannot see the -5G option under wireless connections.

The wireless adapter for the laptop is the Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230

Any info would be hellpful

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

This thread is about the OP not knowing which of the two networks to use. I am unsure how you can have the same issue if you can't even see the second option.

Can you clarify precisely what difficulty you are having @Liza10 ?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

docjen

My max gateway card has the two options people are asking about. that's how they know there are two.

Like Lisa only the 2,4 is being recognised on my computer which is very new. 

Grf

Greetings all, 

I have the same question - connected to fttn yesterday via Gateway Max.

So far so good.

All my devices  can see both networks (one with the suffix 5G) - is there a definitive answer as to which I should be connecting to?

Devices include Ipad air, Iphone 5s, 'n' wifi laptop, Telstra TV.

Thanks in advance

alex_of_oz

So did we get a definitive answer for this question? We recently joined the NBN and have the 2 wifi options, as described above. Which one is best for me to use? I'm currently on the 2.4 Ghz option, but want to know what the 5Ghz option is for.

Any information will be gracefully accepted.

Thanks.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi alex_of_oz

You can connect to either - however 5Ghz tends to be the preferred option when it's available to your devices. 

There's a lot of articles online about this, one is available here: http://pocketnow.com/2014/01/23/5ghz-wifi

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about direct debit and the Telstra 24x7 App ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now