CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Alice-Springs
Level 2: Rookie

Why is NBN so slow?

Answered

Previously, I had ADSL with supposed speed of 8 mbps.... in reality, when using ookla speed test, I got around 4 mbps on a good day. I could however, live stream movies at 720 resolution, and with 1080, had a fair bit of lagging.

So I am forced to upgrade to NBN. Ookla speed test says I have 25mbps...... however...

I can no longer live stream movies even at 720 resolution due to lagging. Forget about 1080.... I just get that spinning circle and the page times out.

I open the ABC news page and that takes around 5 seconds to load, whereas with ADSL it was almost instant.

Why is NBN at 25 mbps in reality, slower than 4 mbps ADSL ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Why is NBN so slow?

@Alice-Springs

TBH given the site list you posted i'd also be looking at malware/virus scans and clearing out the browser's cache as well
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
24 REPLIES 24

Are you streaming movies on the same device you used for the Speed Test? The WiFi performance of devices varies and some devices might have poor WiFi performance with the new gateway. I recently changed gateways and discovered one of my devices was very slow. (Less than 1 Mbps down and up). On changing channels on the new gateway its speed increased to 25/5

Was the Speed test done during a peak internet traffic period 6.00pm - 10.00pm? The poor streaming performance might be due to congestion. Try doing a speed test during peak times. If the speed test is low during peak periods ring Telstra NBN support and lodge a fault.

Alice-Springs

same result day or night. Yes, same device for speed test as per live streaming. Incidentally, took 12 seconds just to refresh this page. I would rather go back to ADSL. Cheaper and faster.

That's very puzzling that speed is OK but can't stream video and pages load slowly.

What is upload speed? If upload speed is to slow it could be the cause of the problem.

There might be something else wrong with your link. To do a thorough test go to the site below. This site tests the quality of the link as well as the speed.

http://www.dslreports.com/qualtest?premium=
http://www.dslreports.com/linequality

In order for all the test to be carried out ping has to be enabled in gateway. Can enable ping in the firewall settings of the gateway. Remember to turn it off after the test is complete.

Advanced > Firewall (Gateway MaxII and Frontier)
Advanced > Access Control Firewall (F@st5355)

Alice-Springs

According to that test, I have upload speed of 3.8 mbps. and download of 23.9 mbps

but.... I am trying to stream a movie and buffering is play for 5 seconds, freeze for 20 to 30 seconds at 720 resolution, then play another 5 seconds..

Useless !
Level 19: Deputy Director

Is your connection wireless or wired?  I recently experienced an unusable speed like this but still on ADSL. Ruled out the work being done for NBN in my suburb and no Telstra outage.

Turned out one of my neighbours who I am really beginning to feel homicidal towards had hacked the Telstra router, then later another one had hacked the VPN router behind it which was my fault, as I followed some dodgy information about setup. 

Have you checked the router for unwanted "Guests" for starters?  I've even seen them connected on the home page of router.  Just a thought. 

Level 25: The Singularity

Which site/service are you trying to stream from?
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Alice-Springs

multiple sites..... netflix, solarmoviez, smovies, youtube, ffilms,onlinemoviescinema, 123movies.... etc
Alice-Springs

wifi from the gateway router
have done all the troubleshooting... eg. restart, power off, reconfigure etc..

@Alice-Springswrote:
According to that test, I have upload speed of 3.8 mbps. and download of 23.9 mbps

but.... I am trying to stream a movie and buffering is play for 5 seconds, freeze for 20 to 30 seconds at 720 resolution, then play another 5 seconds..

Useless !

Their are other things that can indicate wether the link is faulty besides the speed of the link. The test carried out at http://www.dslreports.com/linequality test for lost packets, jitter and latency and will give a bitter indication of weather the link is faulty.

The image below show an example test.

Link_Quality.JPGLink_Quality_2.JPG 

Accepted Solution

@Alice-Springs

TBH given the site list you posted i'd also be looking at malware/virus scans and clearing out the browser's cache as well
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Alice-Springs

I use up-to-date anti-virus and adware/malware software

Alice-Springs

I tried that, but got this alert..... Please enter an IPv4 address

what do I do?

Do a google search on "My IP address". Your IPv4 address will by displayed. Copy and paste the address into Test IP address box
Alice-Springs
Alice-Springs

I tried that, but it only allows pasting of a limited amount of characters, not the whole IP.

IP Details for 2001:8003:a020:8200:55c:4238:f47e:5d9c

Pasting only allows...2001:8003:a020:8200: .... and cannot free type in the rest.

It automatically populates with your IPv4 address. Just hit "test now". What you are trying to copy and paste is your IPv6 address.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

You have to delete the IPv6 address before pasting the new IPv4 address. When you click in the text box a cross should appear on the right hand side of the text box Click the cross.

@Jupiter
Nprmaly the tool enter the correct IPv4 address but tool sometimes leaves the address blank or inserts the IPv6 address instead of the IPv4 address and the IPv4 address has to be added manually.
Alice-Springs

Not woking.... wont allow me to enter full IP

It won't read the IPv6 address, it needs to be in the more traditional IPv4 format.

You could try https://whatismyipaddress.com/?u=TRUE which should hopefully show you both your IPv4 and IPv6 address, the IPv4 will be along the lines of 101.102.99.1 and only numbers with 4 sets separated.

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Do you use wireless at all?
Do you use a VPN?
Alice-Springs

Warning: 60.225.154.47
is not pingable
from www.dslreports.com with 1024 byte packets.
If you go ahead, the test will merely show traceroute information.

Please allow ICMP ping at least from the test servers (and www.dslreports.com to avoid this alert).

Had you activated ping in the gateway first? As it is deactivated by default apparently.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Theolaw

I would like to return to dial-up; it used to be reliable. The system that is being installed presently is "cactus". Good luck!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now