Bc8
Level 2: Rookie

Wi-fi Network cannot communicate with the internet

Hi Community

We are a Telstra NBN customer with FCTC connection with a Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

Increasingly we have having problems with connectivity that I can not resolve things like slow load of websites, buffering on Foxtel through Telstra TV, drop outs with cloud based account software.  Most recently our printer has stopped working with the computer (we can still send from our phones) that is on the WiFi network.

After running "Wireless Diagnostics" on our mac its has come up with

"You are connected to a Wi-Fi Network that cannot communicate with the internet.  Try restarting your wireless router"

What does this mean?  We have restarted the modem (and everything else), everything is coloured as it should be as far as lights go.

Thanks in advance

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Wi-fi Network cannot communicate with the internet

What model modem do you have? The model number should be on the box or a label on the modem. If the modem is the Arcadyan LH1000 check its firmware version. To check firmware version log into modem http://192.168.0.1 (password is Telstra) and go to Advanced > Info Summary. Latest version is .07.05r. If the modems has an earlier versions than .06.xx then this could be wht you are experiencing this loss of internet.

Bc8

Thank you so much for your guidance really appreciate it. I will check when I’m home
Bc8

Thank you CF

I have looked at the model now and it appears to be a Technicolor DJA0230TLS.  Firmware version is listed as 17.2.0406-820-RC

There is a "red light" on that page you referred me to,  "DSL disconnected" is red I don't know if this has any bearing.

Thanks again for your suggestions

On a FTTC the DSL port is not connected so the "red light", "DSL disconnected" has no bearing on the problem.

Looks like you have the Gen 1.1 Smart Modem and not a Gen 2 Smart Modem. 17.2.0406-820-RC is the latest software for that modem.

One thing you could try is to disable band steering in the 2.4 GHz WiFi Band settings of the modem. This will result in different SSIDs for the two WiFi bands. The 5GHz WiFi band has -5G added to end off normal SSID. This might fix the printer problem and also stop the WiFi dropouts.

Ignore message duplicated by mistake as there was no indication previous message had been posted.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now