CrowdSupport®
RXVGS
Level 3: Gumshoe

Wifi Keeps Disconnecting

I've been having problems with the connection of all my household devices to our Telstra NBN smart gateway, the internet is working fine but all the devices (Computers, Laptops, TV, phones, tablets) seem to randomly keep disconnecting and then re-connecting and keeps looping every so often, it doesn't always happen but then some times during the day we loose the connection on one or more of the devices for no reason and sometimes it even asks us to re-enter the Gateway password again? This problem does not affect all the devices all at once, but each of our devices seem to have the problems throughout the day and it has been happening for about 2 weeks now. Again, this isn't a problem with the Modem accessing the internet but for all our devices trying to connect to the gateway through the WiFi.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Wifi Keeps Disconnecting

Try turning off bandsteering on the modem in wifi settings.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

RXVGS

Yeah I already tried that, the problem is still happening. I've also tried many times resetting the modem but it hasn't solved the problem.

Level 21: Augmented

how many devices in total?

what operating systems?

how many devices on each band using 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz?

example:

if your trying to run 30 devices with HD or higher on the 2.4Ghz band, with a bandwidth of 300mb ( usually N class wifi adapter) on each device you would be doing well.

if however you are like me running between 7-10 devices with a throughput cap on each device at 54mb (device's capped bandwidth allowance - something like this usually G class wifi adapter) you should be ok on the 2.4Ghz bandwidth.

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs
RXVGS

Got 2 PC's, 2 Laptops, 5 Phones, 3 Tablets, TV (Not always all connected all at once) the computers run dual band WiFi dual band adapters. The problem doesn't affect all the devices all at the same time, the problem just happens to 1 or 2 of the devices every so often and it will keep connecting/disconnecting and asking to authenticate the connection and we end up having to put in the Gateway password again. This problem happens at all hours of the day and even with just 1 or 2 devices connected so it's not due to having too many devices connected all at once. 

Level 24: Supreme Being

Which model Smart Modem do you have? There are three Technicolor DJA0230 (Has four lights on top), Technicolor DJA0231 (Has a one light on front and several on back, also has side air vents) and Arcadyan LH1000 ((Has a one light on front and several on back, but no side air vents)

Smart_Modem_Gen_2_Sides.JPG

Mkrtich
Level 11: Detective

These matters are never easy to isolate. Can you review the system logs in the modem starting from when you first noticed this happening? Are there many adjacent Wi-Fi Networks near to your home or apartment - do you see 2-3 or 8-10 networks? Get all your Wi-Fi devices near to the Modem and connect them all at the same time and observe if stability exists for some time, then start relocating one at a time away to understand the range coverage.  If possible settings exist, minimise channel bandwidth , set the 2.4Ghz radio to 20Mhz only and 5 Ghz to 20/40 MHz to test if modem performs with greater stability - don't worry about possible reduced speed, you can increase or change one rdaio back to its Auto Default settings and observe differences. Check firmware versions to see if an update exits. You may have a faulty radio in the modem and perhaps your Event Logs may indicate which one it is. Hope this helps.

RXVGS

It's a Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 LH1000 

Could you check your firmware. Modems with firmware earlier than 0..06.05r had a problem with WiFi devices loosing there WIFi connection.

To check firmware open a WEB browser on a device connected to the modem and go to http://192.168.0.1 (password is Telstra). Go to Advanced > Info Summary. Latest firmware is 0.08.06r

RXVGS

The Firmware Version Is 0.08.06r 

Firmware version 0.08.06r was only released in the last couple of weeks which coincides with when you first noticed the problem, so it looks like the new firmware might be faulty.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now