Nicoleaus
Level 1: Cadet

Wifi being hacked!

Hi, I have a Netgear modem and over the last 2 months our internet usage has skyrocketed from about 20-30gb per month to over 100gb mid month. I know it's not us using this data as we have been away on holidays and I have noticed 2 unfamiliar MAC addresses connected to our netgear. I've changed passwords on the wifi and netgear several times, upgraded to the latest firmware and enabled MAC address filtering but still this person is using our data (they are spoofing one of our MAC addresses). We are turning off our wifi whenever possible and have WPA2 encryption. I contacted Telstra who's only suggestion was to 'not give passwords to unfamiliar people.' Thanks Telstra!
Do we need to upgrade our modem or call a technician? Could someone please please help?
Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Wifi being hacked!

If you are using WPA2 with long random passwords then it's unlikely that it's being 'guessed' so easily. This is probably why they are suggesting the password is being given out.

It doesn't sound like something a technician could help with.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Nicoleaus

Thanks but why would I give my passwords out? They are randomly generated and I am making them over 15 characters long
Level 23: Superhero

I have had to tell my kids to not tell their friends/neighbours the wifi password as there were quite a few kids piggybacking on their Mum's internet connection (which I pay for). It certainly happens.

Is this a DSL or Cable connection?
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Nicoleaus

Thanks. It's a DSL connection

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more