CrowdSupport®
perkulator1
Level 1: Cadet

Wifi but no internet connection for some but not all devices

Answered

Hi,

We have recently had our NBN installed but we are experiencing problems connecting to the modem. One android device always works via wifi but all other devices can connect to wifi but can not access the internet. When I turn the modem off and on, all devices connect, but it seems to drop out each night. Devices are in the same room as the modem. The only other thing i have noticed is that the signal strength light is on amber when it only allows 1 device to connect, however after I reset the modem, the signal strength light turns to green. Not sure if this is related? Not sure how to resolve this, any suggestions welcome. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Wifi but no internet connection for some but not all devices

The latest version firmware for Technicolor modem is 18.1.c.0384-950-RB. You can check firmware by logging into modem and going to Advanced 》Gateway.

To stop the devices dropping out you could try disabling band steering in the 2.4GHz WiFi settings. This will result in -5G being added to the end of the 5Ghz SSID. All devices will now connect to 2

5 GHz WiFi band. To enable devices to connect to 5GHz band go to the WiFi settings on the device, locate and connect to the 5Ghz band which will have modems normal SSID with -5G added to the end.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4

The amber signal strength led only indicates the strength of the 4 G backup and should not effect the connection of WiFi devices.

What model of the GEN 2 modem do you have. If it is the Arcadyan (LH1000) check the firmware version which is displayed on the LHS of the modems login screen. Latest version is .8.06r. Modems with very early firmware had problems with devices not maintaining a WiFi connection. Image below shows difference between Arcadyan and the Technicolor Gen 2 Smart modems.

Smart_Modem_Gen_2_Sides.JPG

perkulator1

Thanks for replying, it is a Technicolor firmware version 17.2, I am assuming that is the more up to date version of firmware?

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

The latest version firmware for Technicolor modem is 18.1.c.0384-950-RB. You can check firmware by logging into modem and going to Advanced 》Gateway.

To stop the devices dropping out you could try disabling band steering in the 2.4GHz WiFi settings. This will result in -5G being added to the end of the 5Ghz SSID. All devices will now connect to 2

5 GHz WiFi band. To enable devices to connect to 5GHz band go to the WiFi settings on the device, locate and connect to the 5Ghz band which will have modems normal SSID with -5G added to the end.

perkulator1

Thanks  I have disabled the 2.4ghz Wi-Fi and it seems much more stable, no drop outs so far! Thanks so much for your help

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now