CrowdSupport®
Brownieintas
Level 1: Cadet

Wifi drop outs

Hi, We Have nbn to our house, our modem is about 12-15 months old, Telstra modem, i have wifi speakers and most of the sound in our house is wifi generated, we constantly have wifi drop outs if a tablet or game console are in use, our tablets also drop out. very frustrating, even if we turn it all off and reset it will still occur, can you help is it a sync problem, how can we find out,

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Wifi drop outs

when the WiFi drops out do the lights on the modem change?

What Telstra modem do you have? Judging by its age it is probably the Telstra Smart modem Gen 1.1 (DJA0230) which has four lights on top and three on the front. If it is the Smart modem Gen 1.1   Log into the modem by opening a web browser and on device connected to modem and going to http://192.168.0.1. Go to Advanced, then Diagnostics and then log viewer.  Check for WiFi doctor events. If there are a lot of WiFi doctor events that have same MAC address then it could be the device with that MAC address that is causing the drop outs.

Level 23: Superhero

Have you tried changing WiFi channels in case a neighbour's  modem is using the same channel?

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Brownieintas

Hi Supreme Being, my modem is a TG800, and there are a few event logged, i run 3 device from my ethernet as well, 1) Samsung Q60 TV,  2) laptop, 3)  Denon Heos link, for my music, but i also have 2 other Denon wifi speakers in different rooms

My wifi speaker nearly always drop out, i have 1 on 2.4Ghz and 2nd on 5Ghz

and the 3 ethernets also drop out, some more then others,

Brownieintas

Hi ProfessorPhone,  do you mean 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz ?

Brownieintas

I run some 2.4 and some on 5Ghz depending on the device and the distance from the modem, but nothing is over 10m, and no brick walls

When the speakers drop out are they streaming music from the cloud or a local devices. If they are dropping out while streaming from the cloud (example Spotify) it might be due to a problem with the internet link. It does not sound like a WiFi problem if it is also effecting devices connected to the LAN.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit