Highlighted
kalidah
Level 2: Rookie

Will I have an NBNco appointment when going to NBN HFC from ADSL2+

Answered

So my area has just gone live for NBN HFC and have started getting all the usual flyers from competitors for their NBN plans which are quite a bit cheaper as it turns out!

Anyway, the missus doesn't want to lose our BigPond email so have decided to stick with Telstra and went into a Telstra Shop to make some inquiries and the woman there was saying that

a) she couldn't tell us whether we would need an appointment until we signed up for the NBN which seems strange!

b) Then stated we likely don't need an NBNco appointment as with HFC we should just get a new modem and plug it in!

Now we've been waiting for close to 2 years since all the cabling was initially installed and they put a freeze on HFC connections but everything I've read on the NBNco and Telstra websites as well as talking to various techs that laid the cables along the road verge and connected them to the Utility Box on the side of the house leads me to believe that once I sign up to switch a technician will have to come out to run an HFC cable and install the Connection Box inside my house, is that correct?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Will I have an NBNco appointment when going to NBN HFC from ADSL2+

Yes that is correct, a NBN tech will have to run coaxial cable in the house and install a coaxial wall plate in the house if you don't already have a coaxial cable connection.

Accepted Solution

I think you will be on the 50/20 NBN tier. (Standard Evening Plus) The link below is the news article announcing the free speed boost.

https://www.comparebroadband.com.au/broadband-articles/latest-news-id3/telstra-upgrading-speeds-for-...

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Accepted Solution

Yes that is correct, a NBN tech will have to run coaxial cable in the house and install a coaxial wall plate in the house if you don't already have a coaxial cable connection.

kalidah

Thanks for that Smiley Wink I was pretty sure I was correct having done lots of research on what was going to be available a couple of years ago when we were originally scheduled to get the NBN Smiley Happy

It's a bit concerning when you go into a store and talk to one of the customer reps and get a completely conflicting story so wanted to confirm nothing had changed between then and now Smiley Wink

Also we got a letter in the mail saying we could call on 1800 602 171 and we would keep our phone #, and there would be no change to the monthly bill, plan or contract length!

The woman in the shop said yes we could stay on the same plan as we are on now or upgrade our plan to the 50mbs/$90 plan but couldn't give us an idea what speed we would be getting if we stayed on the same contract!
Any idea roughly what sort of speeds we would be getting if we stayed on the same plan as we have given we get ~13mbs max off peak/6mbs peak?
I notice Telstra do have a 25mbs plan but it has bugger all data at 100Gb and some of the other providers have 10mbs plans which is actually slower than our current plan!

It depends how much you are paying for your current plan as to what speed tier you will end up on. At first all Telstra NBN standard plans were on the 25/5 NBN tier but about 18 months ago any plan that cost over $79 had a free speed boost to the 50/20 NBN tier. There are also some cheep Telstra plans that are on the 12/1 NBN tier.

kalidah

Our current plan is called Home Internet Connect Plus Standard Speed - ADSL2+ with 1500Gb data and home phone bundled together for $79 (calls from home phone extra @ $.40 each) so still clear as mud as it's dead on the $79!
So do you think we'd be on 25/5 or 50/20? I mean either one would be better than what we have now just don't want to sign up and be dropped down to a 12/1 Smiley Surprised
Accepted Solution

I think you will be on the 50/20 NBN tier. (Standard Evening Plus) The link below is the news article announcing the free speed boost.

https://www.comparebroadband.com.au/broadband-articles/latest-news-id3/telstra-upgrading-speeds-for-...

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now