CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
kymber
Level 2: Rookie

Will Velocity speeds ever improve?

Answered

The most recent posts I can see on the subject range from July-September this year, starting from late 2017 to early 2018.

Doesn't look like there's been much improvement given what other people have posted about or asked.

I am SO tired of this subpar service, and the fact that according to the NBN rollout page they won't even be rolling out any NBN infrastructure as "An existing provider delivers a fibre network to this area.

What a farce. I'll very rarely get the 100mbit I pay for, and when I do it's at some completely useless time of the day. From the time I get home from work (4-5pm) to the time I go to bed (10-11pm) I get between 5 and 30mbit - and that's with the supposed

'Premium Speed - Velocity' connection/speed boost. 30mbit is just unacceptable in this day and age, let alone 5mbit, and that's on a FIBRE network!

What irks me most is that there's no other viable alternative. NBN isn't coming apparently, there's no other provider to try, Telstra don't seem to be doing anything to improve the situation, and they don't even offer Business plans as far as I'm aware - and I often need to work from home.

FTTP just should not be this slow. I'm beginning to wonder if it's a purposely manufactured problem.

'Smart Community'... Yeah right!

I just don't know what to do anymore... spending hours on the phone to Telstra/Velocity team just doesn't seem to get me anywhere. What am I supposed to do? Move house? Just to possibly get better internet? Ridiculous.

This is my most recent Speed Test, done at 8:18pm, on Telstra's own server.
40ms PING!?:
image.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Will Velocity speeds ever improve?

There are infrastructure upgrades underway to improve the speeds avaliable to Velocity customers. From memory its roughly 4-5 months until its completed
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Accepted Solution

There are infrastructure upgrades underway to improve the speeds avaliable to Velocity customers. From memory its roughly 4-5 months until its completed
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

View solution in original post

kymber

What sort of infrastructure upgrades in particular?
What is the end goal of the project?
Is there any more information, or communications, available in regards to these upgrades?
Why is it that I haven't heard anything about this despite being on the Velocity network for over 2 years, and have been in contact with Telstra multiple times during that period, as recent as this past week?

From my understanding the parts of the network causing the congestion. End goal is increasing capacity on the network. Your other two questions I'm unable to answer.

kymber

Appreciate your response. Do you have any information as to where & when these upgrades are happening? Similar to the NBN roadmap & rollout plans?

All I can really say is that the upgrades are underway on all congested velocity services. From areas that have been upgraded, I have seen speed tests show 93mbps on 100mbps velocity services.

awulf
Level 4: Private Eye

I agree with you on the problems of the Velocity Network. Congestion has eased a lot in my community (Mount Barker, SA) around half a year ago. I get 2ms pings pretty much all the time and 106Mbps down 5.8Mbps up most times. Dropping to about 30Mbps down in peak. Congested times used to get to about 9Mbps, but I think due to everyone else in the area moving away from the Telstra Exchange on to the NBN FTTN has reduced the load on it.

The biggest problem is the lack of a road map. 5.8Mbps upload is appalling for Fibre, and there is no indication that it will be addressed. This makes working from home harder also using cloud services painful. The other problem is lack of IPv6, which has been enabled for Telstra customers on ADSL, HFC and NBN but not Velocity. Telstra Velocity is also pretty expensive compared to NBN fibre, Opticom fibre and some others, (which would be OK if the service were to be decent). I'm currently paying $120 a month, looks like I could get it down to $110, but then I'd loose the Speed Boost.

The only future from the looks of it is to go wireless in our Velocity Estates. Once more wireless providers roll out and 5G is out, it seems like those are the way to go. Even now when I need to upload something quickly I hotspot to my mobile for 4G.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now