CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Cptn_buck
Level 1: Cadet

Will existing Foxtel IQ2 from Telstra work when I upgrade from adsl to nbn

Answered

I am about to connect to the nbn with fttp, I will self install.

my existing Foxtel from Telstra is my concern, will it still work?

the IQ2 has a telephone connection, but I won’t be able to plug it into the new modem due to it’s location.

my order to upgrade my account to nbn doesn’t mention a Foxtel upgrade 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 15: Secret Agent Mkrtich
Level 15: Secret Agent
Accepted Solution

Re: Will existing Foxtel IQ2 from Telstra work when I upgrade from adsl to nbn

Hi - Foxtel will be able to tell you if you qualify for an upgrade to IQ3 if you resubscribe to a contract term perhaps. If not, or in the interim period, I would expect your telephone line connection to the existing or new NBN Router Phone Port can be set up in parallel with a Home Line Cordless DECT Base Station to provide the dial out from a land line confirmation on IQ2 as phone banking can be done via cordless phones. These are not expensive units to purchase if you don't have one - Panasonic is a reasonable brand. More complicated option exits if the new NBN Router supports integrated Cordless DECT CAT iQ2.0 Telephony, it also can be linked with suitable compliant telephones without a base station. Recommend you hit up Foxtel for a free upgrade for resubscription to a contract. Cheers

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Accepted Solution

Hi - Foxtel will be able to tell you if you qualify for an upgrade to IQ3 if you resubscribe to a contract term perhaps. If not, or in the interim period, I would expect your telephone line connection to the existing or new NBN Router Phone Port can be set up in parallel with a Home Line Cordless DECT Base Station to provide the dial out from a land line confirmation on IQ2 as phone banking can be done via cordless phones. These are not expensive units to purchase if you don't have one - Panasonic is a reasonable brand. More complicated option exits if the new NBN Router supports integrated Cordless DECT CAT iQ2.0 Telephony, it also can be linked with suitable compliant telephones without a base station. Recommend you hit up Foxtel for a free upgrade for resubscription to a contract. Cheers

View solution in original post

Liveinhope1

I also have a Foxtel IQ2 box. On the official NBN site it states that Foxtel delivered via cable will not be effected by the changeover to NBN. As I have had very few problems with the IQ2 box and Foxtel delivery I do not want to upgrade to an IQ3 or !Q4 delivered by satellite. (Foxtel wants to migrate customers to Satellite by 2023 when the agreement with Telstra terminates.) It was my understanding (from the initial installation of Foxtel many years ago) that the phone line was for data collection (of course this could be completely erroneous)  

I have been trying since the middle of March 2019 to switch to the NBN. Initially the Telstra salesman told me I had to migrate Foxtel to satellite, that I had no choice. However this is incorrect.

I am still trying to get connected, to the NBN, but the orders either get cancelled with no explanation or, as in the case of the current order, placed on hold. When I try to find out why the order was cancelled or placed on hold I find myself in an alternative universe where operators read from scripts, requests for email communication are ignored and case managers are never available. I have been a customer of Telstra for over 20

years and never had problems until I had to deal with an overseas support centre.

I am expecting a visit by the Telstra technician on the 29th of April. Now that the order is placed on hold, will this person actually arrive? It would also be good to know why the order is on hold!!! 

Any advice gratefully received.

Hello - Liveinhope1. I hope your technician arrives - unfortunately it is waiting game.

My knowledge of Foxtel dates back to the late 1980s when we had to dial up Foxtel's number to order the movie through an Automated Attendant, so I don't know if it was an IQ1 or IQ2. I can't imagine Foxtel would be monitoring data 24/7 using your telephone line as it may preclude you from using it for telephone calls when you are watching a movie.

One on my neighbours who was a Foxtel customer called them to cancel his subscription as he was intending to defect to Optus Fetch and Foxtel offered him a free IQ Upgrade, free Movie Packages and free Sport Packages if he stayed with Foxtel. He went over to Optus.

I share your thoughts about the lack of quality of care provided to Telstra Customers today. In the late 1970's Telecom Australia had over 90,000 employees who were schooled in the discipline of Customer and Service First and were not distracted by successive management and structural changes to the organisation that eventuated after privatisation. Not sure how many they have today - it may be 20,000 or so. Current and past management seem focused on marketing, downsizing, outsourcing, personal bonuses, WIIFM syndrome pervades, shareholder value (however you wish to define this) and somewhere down the track service is an annoying but distant relative to them, otherwise why would they send us overseas to an ill equipped call centre. There must be a Dad's Army of ex employees who shake their heads in shame going through the alternative universe experience you mention.

My personal telephone line has been off air, allegedly due to a 'Network Fault' since the 13th April associated with the local exchange. Dial tone is connected and disconnected regularly without any explanation of what is going on. I have 6 Case Numbers with promises of call backs that have only occurred three times. In the previous century, if a local exchange went off the air for 24 hours, there would be a Ministerial to answer and a swat team would be deployed to fix it right the first time. Today it doesn't seem important. I vector between Corporal Jones (Don't Panic) and Private Fraser (We're All Doomed) on the matter, and then Sergeant Wilson comes along and says everything will be OK one day. Hope you NBN connection goes well. Cheers
Liveinhope1

Thank you for your reply. Loved the Dad's Army references. Think I am leaning towards Private Fraser!!!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit