Highlighted
Greg29
Level 4: Private Eye

Wireless NBN signal drop out.

Answered

I need some real help please.

I have had wireless nbn for about 2 years now and have had a excellent connection. Unfortunately for the last 3 months I have been experiencing drop outs and loosing signal up to 8 times a day. The odu light on the nbn box goes red and it takes roughy 5 min for the signal to be reestablished to my modem.

It took 9weeks ringing the Telstra call centre for the Telstra guy to come and tell me I need a nbn guy! The nbn guy turned up today and replaced the antenna on the roof and the nbn box in the house. I also have replaced the modem as telstra send me a new one a month ago. Guess what, I lost the signal again on my nbn box tonight!

The obvious clues in fault finding was an intererance on the am radio every time the signal went out.

Tonight the LCD tv had a bad crackle thru the sound as the signal went out. ( 7pm)

Does it sound like an electrical loose connection? 

What else in the house could cause the loss of signal to the NBN box.

I have replaced the gpo the NBN box is plugged in to. Also the signal is lost at night time ( not often, compared to daytime) so rules out the solar inverter.

Any ideas please before I ring Telstra back. ( besides telling me the network is congested when I loose my signal) 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Greg29
Accepted Solution

Re: Wireless NBN signal drop out.

The nbn tech guy turned up and replaced the antenna to accept a 3.4 hertz signal. I was on a 2.3 hertz signal. ( not sure if it's MHz or GHz)  Any why, it was changed away from that frequency, to eliminate any outside interference between my antenna and the nbn base station 5km away.  Interesting stuff if it works! Apparently any signal in my old band ( 2.3) that transmits across the line of sight      from my antenna to the tower could interfere with my signal. 

I can see a lot of problems unfolding with this wireless nbn system if this is the case. 

I will test and monitor my dropouts for a week. ( hopefully none) 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
39 REPLIES 39
Level 21: Augmented

@Greg29 i dont know but it sounds like you have way to much wifi/antenna required equipment to close together causing interference....

modem, TV, computer, Phone?, fax/printer maybe?, radio/stereo unit...

can you try shifting them apart or putting them on/in things like tv cabinets?

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs
Greg29

Thanks for the reply.

One question. How far apart is far enough? The modem would be 1 m from the nbn box. The pc and printer and phone would be 2 m away. The tv and digital recorder are in the next room probably 3 m away from the nbn box. If it is wifi related, would it interfere with am radio and digital tv? I have turned off my solar inverters, completely isolated from the power supply. Just in case. The  lights  on the nbn box today were a bit weird when I lost the signal. The odu light was red, indicating no signal, yet the signal strength showed 3 green lights! Is that possible? 

Any more ideas would be welcome, but for now I will pursue the electrical interference idea tomorrow. 

@Greg29 actually yes it can including microwave ovens, computer monitors

(if you look at most of your devices it will have somewhere about interference certifications that they comply with and well newer stuff is probably better than older stuff) 

"If it is wifi related, would it interfere with am radio and digital tv?"

although i dont know anything about solar inverters sorry Smiley Sad

the best spot for a modem is up higher than the rest of the stuff.

the tv and digital recorder should be ok

how exactly have you got the phone printer and PC set up???

on a singular flat desk or more like a computer desk with printer shelf above the monitor (and where is the phone compared to that and what type of phone cordless or fixed)? 

also where is the radio and does it have an external antenna like the nbn box in relation to the nbn box / modem?

printers are known to cause interference on adsl lines if in the wrong place or to close.

Level 24: Supreme Being

"The  lights  on the nbn box today were a bit weird when I lost the signal. The odu light was red, indicating no signal, yet the signal strength showed 3 green lights! Is that possible?"

Hi Greg29

I have just been reading the NBN box manual.

The ODU light indicates that the radio is offline. (The NBN box has lost its connection to the Radio in the antenna). I would check the connection between the NBN box and the antenna. Look for a lose connection on the the NBN box or damaged cable.

The signal strength lights indicates the strength of the radio signal received from the base station.

Greg29

Thanks for more tips guys.

For those devices to cause wifi inference they would have to be turned on. I have ensured by process of elimination what is turned on/off when the signal goes off. ( I am still doing that )

From what I understand, the modem looses the signal after the signal is lost from the NBN box, this signal is picked up from the antenna on the roof. These three things are all hard wired in. All new cables installed recently when the Telstra and the NBN guy visited.  The only cable that wasn't checked / replaced was the bit behind the NBN wall plate to the antenna. The antenna when it was replaced had that cable end redone. I know he tested this cable with a device, but unless the intermittent fault was showing at the time of test he wouldn't pick it up.

Cf4, if you are right,  it's not my place to check the cable behind the plate, it's the NBN guys job? 

"The signal strength lights indicates the strength of the radio signal received from the base station."  If you mean the tower where the signal is originally transmitted from, then if the nbn box is after the antenna in the circuit, if the red odu light on the nbn box shows no signal received, how then can the nbn box then show 3 green lights to say the signal strength is good? I don't understand.

I believe that the solutions thrown up here to help me can help others. I have a large house so my wifi equipment is spread out. If you have limited space in your house, where all your computer equipment is crammed into a small room, no wonder many people have been complaining about dropouts. Is this info in the NBN guide? I don't think so!

I will be happy to receive any more tips. 

Greg29

Thanks cretsiah, 

The phone printer and pc set up is as such. The pc is wireless to the modem. The phone is plugged into the modem. The printer is plugged into the pc. The pc and printer have not been turned on when the nbn signal is lost. The phone is always turned on. On the same shelf as the pc and modem.  The phone is a base station with multiple outlets thru out the house. The printer is above the pc ( it's an all in one pc and monitor) 

The am radio is in the kitchen, about 15 m away from the above equipment. No external aerial. Stock standard. 

For the NBN box to loose the signal, odu light to go red, it should have nothing to do with the modem. The signal received from the antenna is hard wired. And the antenna as I believe is directional pointing to the transmitter tower about 5 km away. No neighbours within 1km , line of site straight to the tower. Now please tell me so I can understand how something in the house can affect the NBN box? I can understand if the modem was playing up, from the wifi interference you have mentioned, but remember the NBN box is before the modem in the circuit. This is what is loosing the signal not the modem.

The cable behind the wall plate looks more and more suspicious! 

Or are I am on the wrong train of thought? 

Greg29

To clarify about the NBN box looses the signal not the modem. The modem is unable to transmit the signal  because it is not receiving the hard wired signal from the NBN box. The modem is after the nbn box in the circuit.

It might not be your place to check these things but when a tech comes out to investigate you can point him in this direction.

THe NBN Box shows good strength because radio signal was good when it last communicated with the box

If its not the cable then its the NBN box or or the ODU

"To clarify about the NBN box looses the signal not the modem. The modem is unable to transmit the signal  because it is not receiving the hard wired signal from the NBN box. The modem is after the nbn box in the circuit"

That is correct.

Greg29

Cf4, I do thank you for your knowledge and your willingness to help people like me on this forum. 

I was an electrical inspector in a former life. I was used to problem solving and report writing. This problem in my own house is wearing me down, but I am not going to let it beat me. 

I will report back to this forum when the problem is fixed.

By contributing to this forum we are all helping someone. 

Thanks heaps.

@Greg29 yeh im sorry i may have misunderstood or misinterpreted the problem in the first place and I wont deny that sorry...

as per @cf4 wrote and heres a number  1800 834 273

but when you speak to them try to remain calm take a few deep breaths as much as some of them might piss you off it wont help getting angry or frustrated. 

Greg29

Don't worry, I am used to dealing with people.

You won't get far by arguing with people if you want an outcome in your favour! I have a complaint into the ombudsman that they had determined that my issue should have been resolved by the 30th January.

One last question, is it possible that the circuit that my individual signal is transmitted from the exchange that then goes to the tower could be faulty? I am just trying to understand the dynamics of the whole process.

Thanks again. 

@Greg29 sorrry thats out of my league

I get how its supposed to work but as my dad always said "theory is great in theory but doesnt always work in practicality" (not sure if it is his or someone else's saying though)..

what I do know is 

all electronic devices can interfere with signals (at the modem lvl) all-in-ones being the worst (that is the ones that include fax)

apple devices dont place nice with windows systems on the Telstra modems wifi (has to do with the way apple products use beaming) it causes bandwidth hogging and best solution is pay up for an airexpress or something like the netgear nighthawk ex-7000 to counter the hogging (whilst turning off wifi on the telstra modem).

Greg29

Your dad is a smart man!  

Unfortunately, for me the inherent problems with modems and wifi don't apply to my problem.

(I think that is what has come from our discussion!) 

Seeing that the connection from my antenna to my NBN box is hard wired rules out all interference issues.

My conclusion is that a cable fault somewhere between my antenna and my NBN box or -  my signal is interrupted from the transmitting tower to my antenna. ( please disagree if I'm wrong)

All equipment supplied by Telstra and NBN in my house are brand new. This rules out those items.

Wow! My next thought is my signal lost thru congestion on the network!!? 

Just because its new doesn't mean it not faulty.

And yes it could be a network fault but because the ODU light is red when it happens I suspect its either the cable or the NBN box.  It could also be the ODU,but that has just been replaced. If the ODU comes on every time you loose your Internet I suspect one of those three things has an intermittent fault..

It could possibly be a loss of signal between radio tower and your antenna but you had good radio reception when fault occurred.

Greg29

Cf4, I am a bit confused as my odu light is in the NBN box. With the cable that is only two things that could be faulty. The nbn box or the cable. The 3 green lights that indicate signal strength on the NBN box are always in a group of three. Never two or one green signal light which I thought may occur as the signal gets weaker. What happens when I watch the NBN box sometimes is the 3 green signal strength lights quickly fluctuate between 2 orange signal strength lights. This to me seems a bit odd. This has happened just before the odu light has turned red. Which indicates no signal received. My modem then drops out and the wifi is lost.  

Greg29

I have gently wriggled the cable behind the nbn plate behind the wall. I still have signal to the nbn box. What are the odds of having the same fault in two nbn boxes built 2 years apart. Pretty high I guess. How do I convince Telstra that my dropouts are thru congestion on their network. I have all the times documented as proof and photos taken of the odu lights when signal is lost. Apart from that I can see a lot of time spent taking to overseas call centres again. Gee, I hope the ombudsman complaint officer rings me soon!

The manual I was looking at might be for a  different NBN box. Below is an image of the box and what the different lights indicate.

If the lights are changing to orange just before the ODU light comes on then it could be a Radio problem.

The main point it is nothing to do with your setup. The link is faulty and it is up to NBN to fix it.

When you say your Wi-Fi drops out do you mean you loose the Internet or does it mean you loose Wi-Fi and cannot even connect to the Telstra Gateway?

Capture9.JPG

Capture8.JPG

Greg29

That's my NBN box on the picture! The signal  lights turn orange just before the odu light goes off.  Odu light turns red.

When I mean I loose wifi, I loose my pc which is wirelessly connected to the modem ( Wifi in other words) my phone which is wired into the modem and my iPad which is wifi. Internet connection is lost on iPad and pc. 

In my simple terms, when the signal is lost to the nbn box the Telstra modem then can no longer transmit its signal. When the phone drops out, it's not relying on wifi, its relying on the modem to connect to the signal from the NBN box.

From what I have observed, if the signal in the NBN box is lost for any reason, it takes the modem a few minutes to reboot itself once the signal is received once again from the NBN box. I have to wait for the signal to be returned to the NBN box first and then a few minutes after for the modem to reboot. On average, every interruption for the last two months, from loosing the signal to rejoining the internet or using the phone is five minutes. This time period is also very interesting as it is consistent! The signal to the NBN box is only lost in real terms is about 1-2 minutes. 

I hope I have explained it ok. 

I missed the fact that it was a new NBN box. Yes it is very unlikely that two NBN boxes would have the same problem, Its looking more and more like either the cable or a radio reception problem.

I think it is very unlikely it is congestion on Telstra's network. Any congestion on Telstra's network might cause you to loose or slow the Internet but it would not cause the ODU Red light on the NBN box.

Have you noticed any AC power fluctuations when the fault happens, This might cause the fault.

The modem shouldn't reboot.

The Wi-Fi and power lights should stay on.

The Phone, Link (WAN) and Online (Internet) lights will turn off.

When the NBN box indicates ODU is online the Modem green link (WAN) will turn on. The Online (Internet) will turn blue as it tries to connect to telstras server and once it has connect will then turn green, finally the phone light turns green,

Thats what would happen on my gateway.

On your gateway the link light might be called WAN and you might have a Internet light instead of an online light which turns from red to green.

If you check on your Ipad the Wi-Fi symbol should be on  during the loss of internet indicating it still has a Wi-Fi signal.

If the gateway is rebooting then I suspect a AC power problem.

Greg29

What I will do is put a min / max voltmeter on the power outlet and get back with results. I have replaced the gpo a while ago for that reason, but I will go the next step and monitor it. Give me a couple of days.
Greg29

Cf4, you know your stuff well!
My latest experiment before I install the voltmeter, is as such.
I installed the modem and nbn power cords onto a different circuit via an extension lead.

I still lost the nbn signal after about an hour (odu light red), but I took more notice of the modem this time.

All lights on the modem stayed on for 1 min after the nbn box odu light turned red indicating no signal received.
After 1 min, odu light still red, online light and phone light on the modem goes off.
Power light, wifi light and link light stay on.
After another 2 min all lights return on modem.
At the same time the odu light on nbn box is green with the signal strength lights fluctuating between 3 Green and two orange lights for about 2 mins. Then the 3 Greens signal strength lights are constant.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for the link light to stay on, it means the modem and nbn box are still communicating.
The online and phone line drop out because no signal received from nbn box.

And... because the wifi and link light on the modem didn't drop out, to me, rules out a power loss,even for a fraction of a second.

Another test..

If I turn the power off / on to both modem and nbn box when system is normal. ( everything working ok)

This is what I get... power light comes onto both nbn box and modem. Then modem wifi light on...then red odu light on..then link light on modem and odu light on plus 3 green signal strength simultaneously. The online and phone lights on the modem lagged behind and were last on. This whole process took less than 90 sec. compared to up to 4-5 min when I get my dropout.

So, this shows me that if it was a power interruption causing my problem, what happens when I loose my nbn signal and what happens when I do a test power outage, is completely different! 

Greg29

Telstra nbn technical team rang me and are sending out another nbn man on Thursday. I told them to bring out a device to monitor my signal. The Telstra nbn team lady didn't have a clue what I was talking about. Oh well, I will have to explain everything to the tech when he comes out. At least I have it all documented on this thread! Will still post when outcome is reached. How does my theory on congestion stand up?!!

I agree wit everything you said apart from last sentence

Did you mean to say?

So this shows me that it was not a power  interruption........

I don't think it is congestions. The ODU light wouldn't turn Red. The NBN link is just a carrier and any fault in telstra's network would not cause a fault light on the NBN equipment.

Its is either a Radio reception problem or fault in the cabling between NBN box and ODU or it might possibly another faulty NBN box or ODU.

Greg29

Yes, you are right when you say I don't believe it's a power supply problem. ( from my tests)

ok so then I'm back to faulty equipment.  ie NBN box.

one last question, can the antenna on the roof that has to point directly at the transmitting tower, pick up a stray interference signal from behind or to the side of the dish? Why I'm asking this is that my house and all the equipment in the house is behind the antenna. Just trying to eliminate anything in the house that could affect the incoming signal from the tower. I have no neighbours for at least 1 Klm. 

Any info that I can give to the nbn man on Thursday will help. 

It would have to be a very strong signal from behind the antenna so it is very unlikely..Are there any obstructions between the antenna and the radio tower? A branch blowing in front of the antenna could cause the signal loss.

Hope NBN man finds the fault and as able to fix it on Thursday.

Greg29

Clear line of sight for 5 klm where the tower stands. 

I eliminated the solar system today. I had it turned off when the signal dropped out. 

Also no a/c going. I knew wasn't them, but had to prove it.

ok, await till Thursday. Will post then.

Greg29

My patience is still holding. I don't know how! 

After I was booked in by Telstra NBN technical support to have a visit today by the NBN, I received a text late yesterday to say it is now booked in tomorrow.  Late this afternoon, I received a phone call from the company that sends the NBN tech guy out. They just got the work order and the NBN man will be sent out Monday! 

I spoke to the Onshore lady and told her I have a intermittent fault. Do they have a recorder or some type of instrument to measure the signal drop out. I also asked her if she could organise someone to visit the tower or base station if nothing could be done at my house. She said no and no to my questions.  Also she said she has no details on my job, or what my problem was. ( The paper trail is pretty thin. No details are passed on, it seems. Considering I been on the phone for hours and hours talking to Telstra) Even no details of what the NBN man did last visit! 

I will have to wait now till Monday to give some feedback to this forum.

A private company would go broke If they had the same customer service system of Telstra and NBN! 

I can understand your frustration.

NBN relying on contractors instead of its own techs to maintain its equipment is a recipe for poor customer service. First the contract tech has to familiarize themselves with the equipment and they don't know what has already been done to try to fix the problem. Tech companies used to be run by engineers today they are run by bean counters and marketeers who don't understand the technology.

In remote locations the whole concept of having one company provide the infrastructure RSP provide a service through that infrastructure is flawed. Having to report faults through the RSP is inefficient. The RSP is reluctant to send its own techs because distances involved and they are reluctant to contact NBN be cause of the high fee NBN will charge if their equipment is not faulty.

Greg29

Update. 

On saturday, I received a call from a tech support person from Townsville. She told me that my line has been monitored since 2/2 when the new antenna and nbn box was installed. She told me I have been experiencing signal dropouts up to 11 times a day each and every day since. A nbn technician is booked in for all day Monday ( Today) to monitor the signal. 

I was grateful that  something is to be done. 

No one turned up. 

Rang the offshore nbn team, no record of anybody booked in to come to my house. They couldn't / wouldn't give me the number for the Townsville team.

This saga continues.

Greg29

I  rang back " Hills Connection Solutions", an onshore company. They organise the nbn contractors. ( thank goodness I had their phone number)

The nbn man never came out yesterday because it was too hot. I understood that,  but a phone call advising me that he wouldn't be coming would be good. I was told I would have to ring Telstra again for another appointment.( can you believe it!)

I rang the Telstra overseas call centre (TOCC). They had no record of any tech coming yesterday. ( I am going around in circles again)

I spent 2 hours on the phone speaking to multiple people, and  got lots of different answers.

The TOCC told me my problem had been closed off on the 2/2 when the last nbn man visited.  I told them about the call from Townsville Telstra tech team on Saturday. Please ring them. They know what's going on!  It appeared to me they never had a clue where Townsville was.

Someone will ring me back, was the last phone call.

I received a text today...

" hi, your phone service should now be working. If you are experiencing an issue call 132999. Thanks Telstra "

I rang that number and got the same TOCC. They couldn't explain why I got that text. ( I know why, someone was supposed to visit yesterday, and Telstra have an automated text to be sent out the day after) The TOOC, onshore Telstra and NBN definitely are not taking to each other! 

My oh my, the Ombudsman ( who wanted this fixed by 30/1) and my compensation for my wasted time is going to be interesting! 

To cut a very long story short, my next appointment is Thursday.  I pleaded with the TOCC man, to make sure the nbn man talks to Townsville Telstra team, so he brings out the correct instruments to measure my signal. 

We will see....

Greg29

Update... I got a text to say the nbn tech will be now coming Friday!
We will see....
Greg29
Accepted Solution

The nbn tech guy turned up and replaced the antenna to accept a 3.4 hertz signal. I was on a 2.3 hertz signal. ( not sure if it's MHz or GHz)  Any why, it was changed away from that frequency, to eliminate any outside interference between my antenna and the nbn base station 5km away.  Interesting stuff if it works! Apparently any signal in my old band ( 2.3) that transmits across the line of sight      from my antenna to the tower could interfere with my signal. 

I can see a lot of problems unfolding with this wireless nbn system if this is the case. 

I will test and monitor my dropouts for a week. ( hopefully none) 

Greg29

A bit presumptuous in saying the problems fixed! The tech only did this because he wasn't sure what the problem was! This was a " Hail Mary" solution. Give me a few days before I can say it is fixed. I have gone to all the trouble of documenting this problem for others to read. So don't put words in my mouth please!
Greg29

Three full days and I haven't lost the NBN signal. The NBN box in the house shows a steady 3 Green signal strength lights. Thanks to the NBN tech that visited. These guys know their trade.  Thanks also to Irvin from Telstra for the generous compensation package. 

@Greg29

great to here

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more