Highlighted
timebandit
Level 1: Cadet

act now or you will be disconnected

Answered

Hi there: I have received a letter from Telstra telling me that I have to order my nbn plan by 19 December 2018. I believed that you had 18 months from the date the service becomes available to change to the NBN. They say that my disconnection date will be in January 18 2019. My question is: they were doing upgrades to the area where I live until recently so how come they expect me to change to the NBN so soon if I have 18 months from the date of service being available?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: act now or you will be disconnected

It's a bit of a grey area. If NBN Co declared your area as being NBN available 18 months ago, then the clock started ticking then. It doesn't mean that all properties were serviceable at that time, some may still have needed more work, but the clock still started ticking.

Telstra doesn't control the clock.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Accepted Solution

It's a bit of a grey area. If NBN Co declared your area as being NBN available 18 months ago, then the clock started ticking then. It doesn't mean that all properties were serviceable at that time, some may still have needed more work, but the clock still started ticking.

Telstra doesn't control the clock.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 21: Augmented

Exactly as @Jupiter says. Clock starts once the NBN declares area serviceable. As an example, I have been on NBN since December 2016 and disconnection started in May 2018 even though that they are just installing new micro node next to my property...

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now