CrowdSupport®
T_User_99
Level 4: Private Eye

adsl2 broadband speed?

Answered

I just got adsl2 put on. I'm using the telstra supplied gateway modem. I have it connected to the line filter then the wall socket - the only socket on the phone wire, which runs through the wall then up the side of the house then to the pole in the street. There is no phone handset. The speed of the connection doesn't seem very good so far. Here's a capture from the telstra gateway app.

Screen Shot 2016-07-25 at 6.18.38 PM.png

Is there anything I can do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: adsl2 broadband speed?

That's better.. Still that same attenuation but noise margin a little more respectable (for speed) mind the upload is starting to get to low (anything below 4-5 and you'll start seeing errors.

Yes to line attenuation, lower equals faster connection. I guess you could call it the loss of signal/chatter between the modem and exchange.

If you're not going to use the line for voice I'd leave the filter off, which I'll add seems dodgy as its choking the frequency spectrum (should only cap for voice)

Cheers,
Dave

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
T_User_99

Here are my telstra speed test results:

Screen Shot 2016-07-25 at 6.41.29 PM.png

Hey,
Could you dig a little deeper I.e. Share the connection stats/line attenuation ect?

If you ding have a phone connected could you drop off the line filter to see if it improves?

ADSL does have limitations and it sensitive to any errors that are present in/on the line. Potentially the next step may be to talk to Telstra directly?

Cheers,
Dave

T_User_99

I take it you mean these screens?

LMK how to gather better data

Screen Shot 2016-07-25 at 7.25.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-07-25 at 7.25.18 PM.png

Mmmm Line attention @60dbm (I thought the cut off was 58) I'm surprised it was even connected. I think getting a decent speed is all a bit of a dream.

Cheers,
Dave

T_User_99

Oh ... I took out the Telstra line filter and gave everything yet another a power cycle ..

Screen Shot 2016-07-25 at 7.53.43 PM.png

How about that.

BTW: what's line attenuation all about? I take it smaller numbers are better?

Accepted Solution

That's better.. Still that same attenuation but noise margin a little more respectable (for speed) mind the upload is starting to get to low (anything below 4-5 and you'll start seeing errors.

Yes to line attenuation, lower equals faster connection. I guess you could call it the loss of signal/chatter between the modem and exchange.

If you're not going to use the line for voice I'd leave the filter off, which I'll add seems dodgy as its choking the frequency spectrum (should only cap for voice)

Cheers,
Dave

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about direct debit and the Telstra 24x7 App ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now