CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

congestion

I still have big problems with my internet speed afternoon and evening. 5 months ago I was told it is an congestion issue, so I had a deal with my case manager. But now the speed is unacceptable. In the morning and after 11.30 pm the speed is good (about 9 Mbps), but after lunch time it drops down. After 5pm till 11.30 the speed is constantly under 3 Mbps and even most time under 2 Mbps!. Great if you want netflix in the evening Smiley Happy 

I had several calls with technical support 2 but their only answer is "congestion". Is it really possible that you the speed drops down from 9 to under 2 for hours cause of congestion? If yes, this is terrible. The internet is unusable!!! I would understand if the speed drops down between peak hours, but not as much!!!

Tried already everything again just to be sure, isolation tests, router change, different spliiters, no splitter, etc....

And its not like some evenings the speed is good and some evening bad, it is about +/- 2 Mbps every night/evening!!!

Does somebody else have these problems or did somebody had it? Mb a solution, I didnt think of. 

And will a provider change solve the issue? 

If there cant be anything done, I have to cancel the contract and change the provider. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: congestion

Yes, congestion can cause it to slow down for hours... peak usage on fixed networks is between 3pm and midnight, varys a little but there can be substancial traffic during those times and when their is more traffic the speed is usually slower... 

Yes other people are having the same issue, and for some of them 2Mbps would be a great speed. Doesn't help but it is a fairly common thing particularly with ADSL because of the nature of the technology.

You can check to see if there is any works planned for your area but it can be slightly hit and miss, T-Wholesale have a list of their backhaul works here.

If it is solely congestion on the network it really depends. If you are in an area with only T-Wholesale equiptment then changing providers will be of no real benefit as the congestion is on the equiptment. If you are in an area with other providers with their own equiptment in the exchange changing providers /may/ make it better but it /may/ make it worse as you are then relying on their network having less congestion which may or may not be the case...

Even if they have less congestion on the network there is other factors that may change the speed on other ISP as well as sometimes T-Wholesale have RIM/TopHat (which are like sub-exchanges) and Telstra tend to connect customers to these when they are available but sometimes other carriers will have equiptment in the main exchange but not in the RIM/TopHat and in these cases they might connect you to a main exchange port and that could also mean a lower speed again. 

It is really hard/imposible to say in advance and may not know until it was to be connected... if it was to be connected. 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I have the same problem

Highlighted

Thx for the answer.

-So, can a physical promblem 100% be excluded? In this case the cables, the wiring? Couldnt it be possible that a wiring-problem just would make it worse?

-It cant be right to pay $100 a month (1000gb bundle - adsl2+) for a not funcional service. We are with telstra for more then 5 years and didnt have any problems, we had always a constant speed about 8Mbps all the time. It happened I think when we got 500gb "for free". 

-We have netflix, stan, etc subcription and got telstra tv with our bundle, but we cant use it. It would work before lunch time, but of course you watch movies not at this time. The most annoying is if you had a stressfull day and you are happy to sit on the couch and put a movie on to relax, and then this buffering and bad picture starts....

-Telstra cant tell me when the exchange will be fixed. 5 months ago the cas mangager told me it will be hopefully fixed by now, but it became just worse. 

-Arent they fixing it, because of the NBN? 

Cheers

Highlighted

Considering it sounds like it is consistently during peak times only likely not a physical line issue.

Anything about 1.5Mbps is considered acceptable, nationally the standard is only like 880kbps still. So if you are getting 2Mbps even when it is congested you are still above what is considered acceptable. Dont get me wrong i am not saying it is good just that it is considered 'acceptable'.

T-Wholesale is still investing into the fixed network, you will find works booked for different areas in the reports I linked above however they seem to be a lot more targeted with the nbn. The nbn has minimised investment from most equptment owners as most seem to be just doing the minimum they can to maintain their networks.

Congestion like this is pretty prevelant on adsl regardless of the provider. They are mostly all struggling with demand and a antiquated technology.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted
Level 6: Bloodhound

I respect Dr Q's advice, but I concur with the OP.

I have had less than 2mbp for over a year now.  It gets down to about 0.4 - 0.6 in peak times and drops out every day. I can't really believe that is "acceptable" but it is what it is...

Since August this year I have been informed it is congestion, but then I'm not really convinced that is a reasonable explanation as in my opinion the it is the service providers responsibility to maintain and manage the infrastructure so that it is adequate to meet the demand, not the customers responsibility to accept that their service is inadequate because there are too many people using the lines.

From a costomer stand-point, it doesn't really matter who owns the lines.  NBNCo are not responsible to the end-users.  Telstra are.

Total fiasco really.

WITHOUT PREJUDICE
Highlighted

0.6mbps is completely unacceptable. But I was saying a peak speed of 2Mbps is over the 'acceptable' speed.
Helpful Links

Highlighted

the term "acceptable" is not defined or is it? In my view, it cant be accepatble to sell a product, in this case 1000gb bundle with telstra tv and its not usable. And I believed the speed will be better or at least the same when I signed up for the new bundle after my old contract ran out. How I said we had a constant speed about 7 Mbps without "congestion". We have stan, netflix and other subscriptions and it shouldnt be that I have to cancel them because I cant use them. I am not even talking about how annoying it is to load normal pages in the evening. We have kids using youtube, game consoles what need several big downloads. I dont think it is right to sell a product (-->telstra tv!) what is not fully functional. I am originally from Europe and I had never problems with "congestion" there for years. And the synch speed should be 10Mbps and now I just made a test, it is: 1,54 Mbps and it is only one computer connected. 

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi vick6767,

I can appreciate the need for fast and consistent broadband having gamers within my household too. Anything below 1.5Mbps is cause for further thorough investigations by our Tech Team.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

After on the phone with more then 10 (!) people nothing had changed. No estimated time when they will (I dont think they will) fix the exchange and yes, there is a possibility to put me on another line and get normal speed again, but not at the moment! If I am not wrong it would then help to change the provider or? Cause a new provider would connect me on another port? 

One thing I observed, is that I got the full speed the whole day yesterday (new year), even in the evening over 9 Mbps --> does that mean that on new year people dont use the internet as much and so my line is not congested?

On the phone the last lady I spoke, said she can give a 20 dollar discount monthly. When I said no and explained its not prior about the money,  she was talking with my case manager and said the case manager will call me back in 15 minutes. I never got a call back. Nearly 4 hours of wasted time. 

Speed is now slow like it always was and I am very disappointed. 

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi vick6767 regrettably congestion isn't something with an easy fix. Each technology type will have natural limitations, ADSL being an older technology has less capacity than newer networks which are currently in development. As online demands continue to increase rapidly, this is beginning to outstrip the capability of the old technology. This is the reason for newer technology such as Wireless broadband and NBN which is rolling out and expanding, to meet future demands. You can try some basic self-help troubleshooting though to maximise your service speed potential How To Troubleshoot Speed Issues which may help

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Thx for the answers. I dont come forward. Can somebody explain what "congestion" is? I thougt: many people on the line -> same exchange -> lots of data -> congested. -> late aftrenoon and peek hours: slow speed

How does it come then that the speed is  between 2 and 3 Mbps at 11 in the morning? Thats when I came home today and did speed tests the whole afternoon. The speed is most of the time +-2 Mbps. I will check later between peak hours. (synchSpeed: 10,7 Mbps)

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey vick6767,

At this time of year being school holidays and as many people take leave, there may be increased congestion at times such as 11am. Congestion would definitely explain why your speed slows down after 5pm. Have you raised this as a technical issue with our team on 133 933 so they can investigate further? I personally found moving from ADSL2+ to ADSL1 actually provided a better speed at home, you may wish to try this and can request when you call our tech team on the number provided.

Let me know how you go.

-Georgie

Highlighted

Hi,

thx for the quick response. Try to call now and will ask if its possible to change it to ADSL1. Looks like it just get worse every day. Last week we still had a speed of 9,5 Mbps constantly till about 3pm. Now its 1,9...

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I definitely feel your frustration. We do not get more than 3.5mpbs at home if we are lucky. I tested the other day and our average is around 1.5mpbs - 2mbps however I must say I do not have any issues using Foxtel Go, Netflix, Presto or BigPond movies. Internet browsing can be a little painful but it could be worse.

Let me know how you go with the change to ADSL1 Smiley Happy

-Georgie

Highlighted

Changed the adsl profile, but still the same. Will get a call back tomorrow, then I will ask about ADSL1. We definitely have problems with streaming, like netflix, youtube and co. I think even foxtel go needs a minimum speed of 3 Mbps. 

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

It does say the need for a minimum speed but at my address at home we definitely get less than 3mbps and streaming is okay...we experience congestion around 5pm though and it is certainly frustrating.

See how you go tomorrow and let us know Smiley Happy

-Georgie

Highlighted

I have used Foxtel Go at 1Mbps, it works ok, just can be a bit on the lower quality side compared to our nbn connection.
Helpful Links

Highlighted

Sorry, but streaming with 1Mbps? 

Did some speedtests in the morning and their results were under 3Mbps at 9am. Lunchtime when I came home: 9 Mbps after 10 minutes about 4. The last hour between 2,8 - 5 . I just did a test now:7 Mpbs and 5 minutes later 3, 2 Mbps. Anyway, will wait for the call back.

Highlighted

Just a question to my case: lust week our speed dropped down to about 3Mbps the whole day now and peak hours about 2. The exchange seems to be congested. 

Just wondering how "congestion works". Today (australia day) we had a good speed (about 8Mbps)the whole day, first day after a week. Then at 7pm it dropped down to the usual 3, I restarted the modem and now (8.25pm) have a speed around 8 Mbps at peak hours ?!  For months we didnt get this speed at peak hours.

If it is congested and on a publich holiday there should be more traffic (that is what I was told on the phone) on the line/exchange, how does it come that we had our normal speed back again the whole day? 

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi vick6767

we don't have the ability to see the current load from here, so we really couldn't give you an accurate answer I'm afraid.

You are welcome to have a chat with our tech support team, 133 933, who may be able to track the load at your local exchange.

But keep in mind that public holidays can distort peak hours considerably depending on what a lot of the public is doing.
-Ern

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit