DavCol
Level 1: Cadet

devices connect to wifi but cannot access internet

Answered
When connecting devices ie smartphones (apple and android) to our bigpond wifi, the device managers say they are connected but we cannot then load any internet pages. Two types of error messages come up - one states something about connection to Thompson Gateway error, and the second states about DNS server... We have no problems connecting the laptop to wifi and browsing the internet. Our t-hub works fine too. There is no interference to the wifi signal. It is only our phone's and this is a recent problem, as last month we could access internet via wifi on our phones without issue. Any suggestions to how this can be resolved?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Technical Support
Technical Support
Accepted Solution

Re: devices connect to wifi but cannot access internet

Hi BPC,

It absolutely ISN'T normal for you to have to tell a device connected via LAN cable to connect each time. Like with the Cable modems, you simply need to connect the LAN cable and turn your computer on. If the modem is connected then you should be able to proceed.

The 'Limited" connection is typically caused by the operating system on the computer and does not stem from the modem.

I would also recommend making sure that you update the modem with your BigPond username and password if you haven't done so already.

You can access the modem interface via http://10.0.0.138 or http://telstra.gateway

You shouldn't need a password to access the modems interface as per the quick start guide which you can find here: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware-KB/Telstra-Gateway-Max-TG799-Quick-Start-Guide...

If it is prompting you for a password, I would recommend performing a factory default of the modem by holding in the reset button until the power light starts to flash which is approximately 10 seconds.

Uncertain of your BigPond password? You can recover this using the following link or by calling Tech Support on 133 933. 

http://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/my-account-forgotten-username-or-password

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
26 REPLIES
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey DavCol,

That's definitely as strange fault! Can you try turning the modem off for 10 mins and retrying?

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

BPC
Level 2: Rookie

I have the same problem.

I can connect my laptop by setting up a Broanband connection in Internet options-connections but 2 android phones won't connect.

I have a 3G dongle and laptop and both phones will connect.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey BPC,

When you say they won't connect, do you mean they won't get past the password authentication step? or they connect to the Wi-Fi but no data comes through?

Brodie

BPC

Hi Brodie

Thanks for your reply.

I'm sorry I should have given more info.

My situation is Ihave a new Telstra Gateway max Tg799. I have two PC's connected vis ethernet. They connect to the internet ok, with one problem in that I have to connect them manually each time I log on. I have always usad cable internet before & am unfamiliar with ADSL so this may be normal.

Also, I have a laptop which I want to connect via wifi.I can set it up ok with network key and it connects to the modem but the connection is stated as "limited" and will not connect to the internet. By trial & error, mostly error, I created a work around and by accessing internet options in my browser, I set up a Broadband connection which will connect me to the internet but, once again, I have to manually connect each time I log on. I have connected to the internet via three other modems via wifi without any problems.

I also have two android (Samsung) mobiles which, once again, will connect to the modem but there is no connection through to the internet.. I get a message that "cannot connectbecause my internet connection is too slow" which doesn't make sense. Until my problem is resolved, I gain internet access at home via a 3G mobile wifi dongle which connects instantly. I have also connected to four or so family modems and even Qld. Rail free wifi in their trains.

Last week I spent over an hour on the phone with Bigpond Help without success. They eventually decided to send me another modem which I have installed and it does the same thing. It has a problem though in that when I try to access the "my gateway" site it asks for a username & password that I have tried to insert using suggested "amin, password" default combinations without success.

I would appreciate your help.

BPC

Technical Support
Technical Support
Accepted Solution

Hi BPC,

It absolutely ISN'T normal for you to have to tell a device connected via LAN cable to connect each time. Like with the Cable modems, you simply need to connect the LAN cable and turn your computer on. If the modem is connected then you should be able to proceed.

The 'Limited" connection is typically caused by the operating system on the computer and does not stem from the modem.

I would also recommend making sure that you update the modem with your BigPond username and password if you haven't done so already.

You can access the modem interface via http://10.0.0.138 or http://telstra.gateway

You shouldn't need a password to access the modems interface as per the quick start guide which you can find here: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware-KB/Telstra-Gateway-Max-TG799-Quick-Start-Guide...

If it is prompting you for a password, I would recommend performing a factory default of the modem by holding in the reset button until the power light starts to flash which is approximately 10 seconds.

Uncertain of your BigPond password? You can recover this using the following link or by calling Tech Support on 133 933. 

http://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/my-account-forgotten-username-or-password

- Shelly

mmn01

devices ( windows, iOS, android) are connected to telstra gateway max wifi but cannot load internet pages.

This seems to be a common issue need some help

mmn01

Same issue as BPC above
mmn01

Figured it out. Just make sure the PPP connection has the correct username and password. Your wifi will work like magic.

Telstra Gateway MAX set up instructions do not clearly tell you what important steps need to be followed.
Baker84

Have same issue, connected to phones, tvs, ipads but wont connect to my laptop " local access only "
Have updated username and password still no wi-fi to laptop
Have read about 20 posts of people with same issue and still no answers
Technical Support
Technical Support

Hi Baker84,

What you describe doesn't sound like the same issue described in the original post.

As your laptop is not able to connect to the Wi-Fi on your modem, you may not be entering the correct details. Instead of entering your BigPond username and password, you need to enter the Wi-Fi Network Name and Security Key. 

If you are using the default settings, these are typically located in a sticker on the actual modem. It is important to remember that the security name and password are case sensitive. 

As for where to enter these details on the laptop, I would recommend doing a web search on "how to configure WiFi network" along with the operating system for your laptop.

- Shelly

Vince3

Solved???? I thought the problem was about devices connecting to the local WIFI but not to the internet. The solutiojn offered doesn't even relate to the problem. 

stumped1

Hi Shellock

we have same probablem as Baker84

Phones and pads are connecting but.... one pad is now requiring reconnect when brought out of sleep mode and somtimes is even kicked off while using?? Laptop connects but no internet. I don't see how Barker84 would fail to select the Telstra gateway??

After set up we needed to run our desktop and the above mentioned laptop through our old Belkin wifi.

After reinstalling OS the desktop now picks up Telstra gateway however the same action on laptop did not resolve and must stil run through Belkin. Anyways appears to me that the gateways and devices are not pairing seamlessly if this is so then what's different about the Telstra gateways to the multitude of wifi gates on the market which seem to be able to talk to devices successfully? 

I will try reset and or password reset suggested on this thread but all these efforts are labourious as 

you would appreciate, I just wanted to point out that the new gateway setup is not a straight forward matter.

Cheers

Stumped1

lolag

telstra gateway/internet working great for some months, then suddenly tv's and some devices that worked with nil issues, are unable  to access the internet, but are connected to wifi.. error message displayed by tv's upon connection "internet unavailable' and devices "unable to connect timeout" on browser.

BUT there are occassions, about 20 percent of total atempts, that the tv's and devices will connect about 10 minutes after the error messages are displayed.

setup is as per the instruction provided

Trawled forums/internt for solution, tried suggestions to no avail.

I have had very few issues in 10+ years of telstra usage, but in the last six months or so, it has been issue after issue, outages/numerous email issues/slow connections

Support Team
Support Team

Hey lolag,

Welcome to CrowdSupport.

Have you tried playing with the Wifi channels the router is broadcasting on?

troywatson623

I have the same issue as mentioned above I have a FAST5355-A modem I have a number of device connected via LAN interface all connected to internet OK, laptop running windows 7 & 10 connected via wifi 2.4Ghz SSID and access to internet. All android devices can connect to 2.4 / 5Ghz & 2.4 / 5Ghz Guest SSID wifi accounts, but are not able to connect to internet via 2.4 / 5Ghz SSID wifi, they are however able to connect to the internet via 2.4 / 5Ghz Guest SSID's. I have done factory reset, soft and hard reset's, tried WPS enabled and disabled all with no joy. I have called the 1800 tech support # and initially he tied to tell me I can only access one SSID at a time...what rubbish...I informed him I needed to talk to a tech and he placed me on hold for bout 30 mins to then tell me they needed to send a tech to site to check it out which would be around the end of December??? Is anyone able to assist, sound like a firmware bug to me?
Support Team
Support Team

Hi troywatson623, welcome to CrowdSupport.

I would tend to agree. When you say you have done factory resets, are you referring to the modem or the devices that are failing to connect?

It should have been covered by at least one of the resets, have you attempted to tell the devices to forget the network, then re-add the WPA2 key? A refusal to connect is often a credential mismatch.

troywatson623

Modem factory reset, thne used the factory WPA2 key tried using WPS enabled & disabled still with no joy. If I apply a static IP address, mask & gateway to a windows wifi device with the gateway being 10.0.0.138 the device then has connectivity to the internet. This seems to imply the route from the 192.168.1.0 subnet (wifi) for the 2.4 / 5GHz SSID is not working to the gateway?
Technical Support
Technical Support

Hi troywatson623, 

We  couldn’t replicate this issue  using a Samsung S7 (Marshmallow 6.0.1).

Are you able to provide us with the OS and Hardware details of the Android devices you are having difficulties with so we can investigate this further.

msaf

I have exactly the same problem. Started ok but after sneak months the drop puts are making the system unusuable. I think there are major problems with the relates supplied modems.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi msaf, 

At the time of the drop outs are you able to test the connection over Ethernet? 

Huntsman88

My Issue is:

Telstra Gateway Max A/c Cable Modem Router:

1. Connection to Wifi devices and Internet on Wifi connected devices works fine... UNTIL anything is connected via ethernet to the LAN port.
  2. Once that happens, the Internet connection to WiFi devices is immediately cut.
  3. If a remove the lan cable, internet connection via Wifi is restored after a minute or so.

I need to access the internet via both the Lan connection (via a switch), and WIFI and have been able to do-so previously.

The issue started with my previous modem (same model). Prior to that I ran devices via ethernet/Lan/switch AND WIFI with no issues with internet connect with both working at the same time. We contacted Telstra and they replaced to modem. It is now clear there is problem using WIFI and ethernet/LAN at the same time on this router.

Questions:

1) Are there modem settings that need adjusting to have internet connectivity on Wifi while lan ports are active?

2) Has Telstra disabled the usage of internet access to LAN ports & Wifi at the same time?

3) Is there a firmware update of fix that Telstra can apply for this?

Thanks.

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

@Huntsman88

1.) No

2.) No

3.) What version do you have?

Having the exact same problem on two different modems is either very back luck getting two dud modems, or something on your side that is the cause

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
rachelwade

We have this issue also - we've managed to get most devices connected by having them use Google's public DNS. Food for thought?

I work for Telstra. However any thoughts, opinions, or ramblings expressed by me are my own and not those of Telstra.
BPC

Hi Huntsman 88

I had a similar episode recently in that my external devices would not connect to wifi when my computer was uploading to Dropbox. I got messages "waiting for internet quality to improve".

I have ADSL and was trying to upload large files and had set the upload speed to maxium. Once I limited upload to 50K all was OK. Mind you, it took a couple of weels to upload my files! 

BPC

Gypsywon

For the laptop that has the internet connected but no service.

Go to Windows network diagnostics, in the networking tab click on the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPX 4) X 4 item which is fifth down on the list and tick the box.

Then go to properties, on the general tab make sure that both Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically are selected. Press the ok button.

I recently connected a friend this way after a password change at our community centre her laptop would not connect to the internet.

I am now trying to find how to fix the same problem on a tablet.  

noel2u2

I too experienced this problem early 2015 and I informed Telstra on how to fix this problem and the technician was not interested. I did research on Dropbox and Google Drive.  I tested Dropbox upload setting from full speed increments of -10kbps down to -05kbps and found that full website and speed test were most affective for Dropbox at 30kbps and Google Drive at 30kbps,  any upload speed increase above these speeds would decrease download speed proportionately.  Use these setting as a guide.   whenever I wished to upload files, I would reset my upload speeds back to "FULL SPEED" and then back again to limited speeds while surfing the net.  I hope this helps.

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more