CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
frogringer
Level 1: Cadet

email alias on bigpond cable smtp.live.com

Answered

i have recently switched from another isp to bigpond cable. i have my own domain name that is not hosted by telstra. i use the smtp.live.com server as my outgoing server for emailing. i use mac mail. since i switched to the live.com server all my emails come up as being sent by my bigpond.com email address NOT my domain name email alias address. i would like the email recipients to only see my example@mydomain.net.au address not my example@bigpond.com address. why is this happening? i have added my domain email addresses to my bigpond webmail account but still it comes up as being sent by example@mydomain.net.au (sent by example@bigpond.com).

please help

cheers

frogringer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: email alias on bigpond cable smtp.live.com

If you have a hosted domain, do they provide you with an SMTP server to send from?

Alternativley, you can try using mail.bigpond.com as your SMTP, without Authentication as this will normally work from a Bigpond service.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Ben_F
Accepted Solution

If you have a hosted domain, do they provide you with an SMTP server to send from?

Alternativley, you can try using mail.bigpond.com as your SMTP, without Authentication as this will normally work from a Bigpond service.

B.

New Users - Click Here!

View solution in original post

frogringer

thanks for your reply. the domain host says to use my isp smtp server.

have changed from smtp.live.com to mail.bigpond.com and this has fixed the problem. only concern is that i thought telstra was shutting down the mail.bigpond.com server.......

Ben_F

@frogringer wrote:

thanks for your reply. the domain host says to use my isp smtp server.

have changed from smtp.live.com to mail.bigpond.com and this has fixed the problem. only concern is that i thought telstra was shutting down the mail.bigpond.com server.......

I don't know what Telstra is or isn't doing with the SMTP server, however the live server will use whatever username its authenticated with Smiley Happy

B.

New Users - Click Here!

curracruisers

I have confirmed this problem but Telsra tech. support did not know the answer. I had to find it for them and for myself.

The solution is:

If you use your own domain email address you have to use mail.bigpond.com as your outgoing server.

If you have a Bigpond email address you have to have smtp.live.com as your out going server.

In your email client settings you can have both in there and asign each to their respective email addresss.

They assure me they have no plans to stop the mail.bigpond.com service.

Hope this helps.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now