Highlighted
johans74
Level 2: Rookie

gateway Max

Answered

I have recently connected to NBN and received the Sagemcom Router.

Can I use my old Gateway Max as a standby for internet temporarily if my Sagecom breaks down?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
another_human
Level 3: Gumshoe
Accepted Solution

Re: gateway Max

Johans 74

Of those 3 options you mentioned make sure you have the 'Enable - Wan Mode' turned on.

Then unplug you coax cable from you old gateway max again and put back into the small NBN connection box.

Then connect your old gateway max to that small NBN connection box by Wan to Wan simply using an ethernet cable.

So basically set it up as per instructions for HFC connection.

Then once powered up, wait till it shows you have a connection.

If you want to use wifi then you MAY need to press the wifi on/off button on your old gateway max. That light MAY not turn on so just wait and you will see it come up in your wifi list.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
Level 24: Supreme Being

Telstra has called a number of differenent modem from different manufacturess Gateway Max's. It would depend on which gateway max you have and what type of NBN connection you have.

If you have FTTN connection and modem is a TG797 or TG587 then it can not be used as a backup modem as they are only compatible with a VDSL connection.

johans74

The new one is for a HFC connection for Coacial and the old one is Netgear C6300BD ( black ) When I tried to test the old unit using the WAN connection to the NBN box, upstream and downstream don't light up and I can't log into the router. Should I dump the unit? 

If you are on NBN HFC, the C6300 is obsolete and can't be used unfortunately

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
another_human

hi Yasti

Hmm last i knew, the WAN port was firmware disabled

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
johans74

If WAN is disabled, is this why I can't log into my Gateway Max?

No. The the default password might have been change. Try doing a factory reset.

johans74

I have already tried a reset, and still no go. Possibly my Gateway does have the WAN firmware disabled and I have to trash it or send it for recycling.

another_human

Johans,

In the router settings go to the 'WAN Setup'

Then a drop down menu will come down and one option is 'WAN backup'

Once you click that the screen will give you an option to 'Enable - Wan Mode'

Select that option.

Router will reboot and you will be online.

another_human

Cannot go to WAN settings if can't log into Gateway.

another_human

Well if he has tried username : admin and password as : password then depending where he is at with hardware setup, try bypassing the NBN connection box and plug your coax cable back directly into your gateway max (black) to try and access router settings. then once youve made change, go back to NBN hardware setup
another_human

The point is the OP should definately NOT discard his old gateway max because you definately CAN use it instead of the new white gateway max. 

The problem he is having logging into his black gateway router can be overcome, there is always a way...

I will be able to help him.

johans74

Hi AH,

I bypassed the NBN box and I get the internet on my black box and I can login to the router OK. Thank you.

So this way I can use my black box without changing the Wan cable, I would still like to know how to set up WAN.

The current settings are -

NAT Mode - NAT - IPV4 only is switched on

NAT - Disable ( bridge mode ) is witched off

DMZ - respond to ping on WAN port - This is not switched on

DMZ address

WAN Backup - Disable

Enable - Wan mode

Enable - Broadband    None of these 3 are switched on

I am not sure what I should switch on or off. Thank you.

johans74

whoops, read your earlier post - enable WAN mode. duhhh!!! Wasted all that time typing!

You are a champ mate, thank you

another_human
Accepted Solution

Johans 74

Of those 3 options you mentioned make sure you have the 'Enable - Wan Mode' turned on.

Then unplug you coax cable from you old gateway max again and put back into the small NBN connection box.

Then connect your old gateway max to that small NBN connection box by Wan to Wan simply using an ethernet cable.

So basically set it up as per instructions for HFC connection.

Then once powered up, wait till it shows you have a connection.

If you want to use wifi then you MAY need to press the wifi on/off button on your old gateway max. That light MAY not turn on so just wait and you will see it come up in your wifi list.

johans74

Hi AH,

Now I have two ways to use my black box if ever either units break down; NBN + Wan cable or coax cable direct.

Thanks very much for your help.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now