Highlighted
ALC3804
Level 1: Cadet

how can I contact the NBN without a working phone

my problem is on Monday I had the NBN modem put in and the phone was disconnected that is I cannot contact Telstra or NBN, I was meant to have them on Wed got the email, no one turned up and could not contact anyone. I did the 24x7 call for 6 hours and no one could help me contact NBN as you can only use a phone number which is ridiculous when people do not have a working phone. They were meant to arrive today and have not arrived again!... I am tired of being up at 6.30 for q possible 8.00am arrival on my holidays. If I did this in my workplace I would have been sacked just for being late..... I am alone in my house without a phone this is not a safe situation to be in, tell can you email 000 if you get injured in your house as I do not have a working phone

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: how can I contact the NBN without a working phone

NBN Co don't deal directly with with public, so you need to call Telstra on 1800 834 273 or use Livechat to report the problem. They can then troubleshoot with you and organise a technician if required (although, as you have experienced, NBN Co techs aren't always reliable).

Have you plugged your phone into the Green Phone port on your modem?

And no, you can't email 000 (and if the power goes out, you won't be able to call them from your home phone from now on either, courtesy of how the NBN operates).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
ALC3804
Level 1: Cadet

You did not read the email too closely Mr Jupiter. I DO NOT HAVE A WORKING PHONE and HAVE EXHAUSTED THE 24/7 chat network with 6 separate entries... How else I do not have a working phone and there was a stabbing down the road last night. I am not feeling safe... 

I did read your post, and unfortunately, they are the options.

Plus, you didn't answer the question. Is your phone plugged in to the Green Phone socket on your modem? It's rather an important question as a lot of people when they switch to the NBN don't realise that they need to do that.

Also, what colours are the lights on your modem? Is the light on the front Green or Blue? What colours are the other lights as well? It gives us an indication of whether your modem is working properly or not.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now