CrowdSupport®
smarta
Level 3: Gumshoe

how do I complain & seek compensation?

ok - heres my story.....

on Tues 7th Nov we had storm - my modem started flashing all lights and after about an hour would not light up at all

I connected an older modem (that I knew worked) and was unable to get a web connection (red internet light & no WAN light)

First of all I checked the Telstra Outages https://outages.telstra.com/ page as Telstra suggests as a first port of call & when i entered my address it told me there was a problem affecting both phone & internet in my area and that it was due to "Cable damage caused by independent construction in the area" and that it would be fixed by Monday 13th Nov

The page suggested a new Frontier modem (as that uses a SIM card as well as phone line) - so I went to the local Telstra Store and re-contracted and purchased a Frontier mode as they have a SIM for standby connection (but of course they had none in stock at the store so are going to post it out - Note: its now Tuesday and nothing has arrived yet and still have had no email confirmation that the change in plan or modem have been arranged - my account still shows the old bundle when i log-in to My Account)

So I sat here for 5 days waiting for it to be fixed - regularly checking the outages page for any change - Telstra points you to this page in the first instance and as it said there was an outage I saw no reason to sit on the phone for an hour going thru a support request.

I spoke to local Telstra tech I saw at the local shops on Monday morning and he said the outages page is often wrong and that i should report it.

After about an hour or so on the phone on Monday morning they agreed that yes there was a fault with my line and would get a tech to look at it - and gave the 16th Nov as the possible fix date - thats 9 days without phone or email

Luckily someone came today and fixed it. said it was due to lightning strike - no mention of any area outage

I am a web developer and host and maintain many websites for my clients and not having web for a week seriously effected my business - I think I am entitled to some sort of compensation for this

who do I email or write to?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: how do I complain & seek compensation?

The problem is going to be that you didn't report a fault with your service, so technically Telstra were no aware of a problem with your service until you rang and reported it.

Just because there is a fault in your area doesn't necessarily mean that it affects your service, it may be a totally different problem.

You could call 132200 and ask for Complaints to lodge a complaint, but I don't think it will do you much good.

Unless you are on a Business Plan, that has service guarantees, then compensation for business losses would not be possible (and even then, difficult - that is what business insurance is for - and yes, I used to have my own business).

Getting the Gateway Frontier however is a good idea.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
smarta

well the outage page says

"Find out if your address is currently affected by a Telstra network outage or planned maintenance."

and the troubleshooting page says

"If you’re impacted, the Service Status Page will explain the interruption you’re experiencing, provide updates on the issue, and when possible, estimate when the issue should be resolved. There’s nothing further you can do until the outage is restored however the following information may help provide alternate options during the impacted period."

after trying all the self help procedures I didn't think it was going to help any by sitting on the phone for an hour going thru all those processes again

the Telstra site should tell you to report it no matter what

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Smarta,

Thanks for reaching out, I understand the frustration this is causing.

What suburb and post code are you located?

Regards

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

smarta

Lennox Head NSW 2478

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for that.

At this point in time there is an outage for your area 2478, this can be seen here: http://servicestatus.telstra.com/

There has been a cable cut, our tech team is working hard on restoring this and getting you back on the air.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

smarta

that is not my point !

if you read the above you will see my point is that Telstra led me to assume the outage was causing my problem - yet it wasn't as my phone/net has been fixed (despite the fact that Telstra says my address is effected by the outage)

due to Telstra website instructions I sat without internet for 5 days when it was not necessary

so where can I send a letter or email of complaint?

(and don't tell me to phone a number as I don't have another hour to spare explaining all this)

Support Team
Support Team

Hi,

If you are wanting to lodge a complaint to have this matter investigated this can be done directly online via https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Services-KB/Lodging-a-complaint-with-Telstra/ta-p/681...

After this has been done, you will be appointed a case manager who will go through everything, contact you directly and discuss how to resolve this with you should you decide to take the matter further.

Please let us know how you get on.

- Stef

smarta

that links gives an error

An invalid set of parameters has been specified in the url.
Return to my original page

I think the link text is probably too long

try creating the link using the link icon in the layout menu bar above
Support Team
Support Team

I am sorry about that. You can also lodge a Formal Complaint directly via the Telstra page at  http://tel.st/5xle and type in lodge a complaint in search tab at the top r/h corner. Please let us know if this works for you. 

smarta

well fat lot of good that did!!

it's been 8 days since I put my complaint in using using the page linked to above and it said 

"A member of my team will be in touch within five business days,"

I got the ref SR 1-1326650044986.

no-one has contacted me

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey smarta, 

I'm really sorry for the experience that you've had, I can certainly understand your frustration. 

I've just sent an email to your case manager and their supervisor asking that that this is investigated and contact made with you as soon as possible. 

As we're just heading into the weekend, if you don't hear anything today you may need to wait until the start of next week. 

let us know how you go, my apologies again. 

Jesse 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now