CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Raffa
Level 4: Private Eye

iphone 5 cant connect to home wifi

Answered

Got another problem. My iphone5 wont connect to my big pond ultimate cable. It sees the service, but wont connect..any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Raffa
Accepted Solution

Re: iphone 5 cant connect to home wifi

After not bothering to even try to connect to my home wifi for almost a week, I decided to give it another go today.

The phone picked up my Home network, I typed the password, and BINGO it connected straight away.

Maybe it needed to settle in, lol.

Thanks everyone.

Raffa

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
35 REPLIES 35
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Raffa,

Does the iPhone show any error while trying to connect? Does it ask for your security password? Can anything else in the property connect wirelessly?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Raffa

Hi Brodie

We have 2 laptops and a kindle and they connect fine. With the iphone, it can see the network, but when I enter the password, all the iphone does is just show the "thinking" circle and wont connect.

It doesnt show an error message.

We are ultimate cable and have a Netgear CG3100D-2BPAUS modem.

Raffa.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Raffa,

Have you turned the iPhone off for a few minutes? Sometimes that can bring through the connection. 

Otherwise you can try changing some wireless settings on the CG3100 which can sometimes help.

- Open Internet Explorer

- In address bar type: 192.168.0.1

- Modem login is username: admin, password: admin (or password)

- Click on wireless settings on the left hand side

- in Security options select WPA-PSK [TKIP]

Give the mobile another try to connect, then if its ongoing try WPA2-PSK [AES]

Let me know how it goes Smiley Happy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Raffa

Hi Brodie

Thanks for the tips. I was already on WPA-PSK [TKIP]. So I changed it to WPA2-PSK [AES], and lost all WIFI with my laptop and my wife's laptop.

Had to reset the modem, and start all over.

I have been previously told that there is an issue with the software in the apple iphone5. Is this correct?

I have used the iphone 5 in  wifi hotspots like Mc Donalds, and DFO Moorabin and it works fine.

So, now I am even more confused.

Dont really know what else to try.

Cheers,

Raffa

Raffa
Accepted Solution

After not bothering to even try to connect to my home wifi for almost a week, I decided to give it another go today.

The phone picked up my Home network, I typed the password, and BINGO it connected straight away.

Maybe it needed to settle in, lol.

Thanks everyone.

Raffa

View solution in original post

Scottish1
Level 2: Rookie

hey Brodie... Your solution saved me... i was getting similar issues with my iPhone 5...thanks a tonn Smiley Happy

madmel26
Level 1: Cadet

I have the same issues as above, my iPhone 5 see's my home network but wont except WPA code keep being told unable to connect. Also can not Wi-Fi connect my PS3, and that is the same as the iPhone5 it see's the network but unable to connect and my Laptop can't be used with Wi-Fi, once i unplug the network cable it drops off.

I contacted Technical Support via 24x7 chat and even they were baffled....

I have connected my T-box and my Samsung Galaxy S3 with no problems

below is the image of my modem. to connect my T-box Iand the Galaxy I had to press the top button on the modem and wait for the light to flash. I have also tried doing this with the iPhone5 and it doesn't work.... i'm stumped on how to get it connected to wi-fi. have also tried Brodie's information below and had the same issues as a previous person. 20130712_211452.jpg

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey madmel26,

It looks like the Wi-Fi isn't working at all. Have you tried factory defaulting the modem? It could be a setting within the modem is stopping the connections.

Brodie

RoosterGeorge

Hi Brodie,

When you say:

"- Open Internet Explorer

- In address bar type: 192.168.0.1

- Modem login is username: admin, password: admin (or password)

- Click on wireless settings on the left hand side

- in Security options select WPA-PSK [TKIP]"

What exactly am I supposed to put in the username and password field????? I have tried every combination of user and passwords that I know for bigpond and the stickers on the netgear router.... please help by clarifying what you meant.

Much appreciated

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey RoosterGeorge,

The login details can change depending on the modem, but you can try Username: admin, Password: admin

What modem do you have?

Brodie

RoosterGeorge

Thanks for your prompt reply Brodie. I already tried admin and admin but no luck (upper or lower case variations)

The modem is a Netgear CGD24N v2.

I'm using a Mac so i didn't try that link in IE as I don't run IE, I tried firefox, could that make any difference?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey RoosterGeorge, 

The web browser won't make any difference Smiley Happy

the default login for the CGD24N is: admin / password. If these aren't working, it could be that they have been changed? Can you try factory defaulting the modem? This should bring it back to the standard setting. 

Brodie

RoosterGeorge

will try factory dafulting the modem... um how do i do that?

Will i lose internet connection (i mean more than just temporarily as it's resets?)

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey RoosterGeorge,

The cable modem will reconfigure itself, so it should only be down for time length of the reset Smiley Happy

The reset button is the very small hole on the back, you will need a pin/think pen.

Brodie

RoosterGeorge

Thanks Brodie, I just reset the modem and it took about 2 mins to reconncet but the admin / admin still deosn't work.

What next?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey RoosterGeorge,

It should be admin / password

Brodie

RoosterGeorge

Woops, thanks for that, I'm in. I've got to go back through the thread to follow your original instructions now. I'll let you know how I go.

Thanks again
RoosterGeorge

Ok it's currently set on "WPA-PSK[TKIP] + WPA2-PSK[AES]

Unfortunately it won't let me select it won't let me select "WPA-PSK[TKIP]" though so I'm going to try "WPA2-PSK[AES]"

RoosterGeorge

just keeps saying no-connection. FWIW right beside it i have two iphone 4S's and an Ipad all accessing the wi-fi without problem.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey RoosterGeorge,

Can you try removing the security all together and see if it connects? I just want to know if it is the security that is preventing the phone from connecting.

FYI, please remember to put the security back on, otherwise it will leave the service open for others to connect to.

Brodie

RoosterGeorge

Ok I changed from the settings I listed above to 'disable' (i'm hoping that's what you meant about removing the security) and then the Iphone 5 connected immediately without issue. Based on this what process do you recommend now?

I forgot to say that I reanabled security again just to see if that made any difference and we're back to receiving the 'unable to connect' error message.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey RoosterGeorge,

Basically what it shows is that the phone is having difficulty connecting with the security method the modem is using. I would suggest trialing the other security types and see if they are able to work with the device Smiley Happy

Brodie

RoosterGeorge

Thanks Brodie, whilst killing time waiting for your reply I actually did that and neither security method worked successfully.  I don't know why the first method you nominated won't allow me to selct it though, it's sloghtly greyed out even though I can see that option clearly but it won't let me select it either way.

No security method will allow me to connect the Iphone 5 except for of course, disabling the security.

What are my options now Brodie?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey RoosterGeorge,

The options now are a bit limited. If other devices are able to connect to the modem the issue must be with the phone. Does this phone connect to any other Wi-Fi system? Have you updated to the new IOS7? Is a factory default possible for this phone?

Brodie

RoosterGeorge

The phone is the new Iphone 5 and it's running that latest software update. It connects perfectly with Wi-fi in various other places e.g. Macdonalds, Coffeee Club etc etc.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hmmm, this is a strange one! I've done a quick search and can see that updated iPhone 5's are having issues all over. One resolution posted was:

Put your phone into Airplane Mode. Then, go into Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Then, reboot your router if you have access and take your phone out of Airplane Mode. You'll be prompted to join your network again, and it should work this time.

Can you give that a try? Unfortunately if it still fails you might need to contact our mobiles area to see if they have any tips, or attach an external wireless router to the modem.

Brodie

RoosterGeorge

Ok i tried that but it still doesn't work unfortunately. I'll try and call the mobiles department and see what they say now I guess. It's very frustrating that I can buy a mobile from Telstra that doesn't work with Bigpond infrastructure.
Thanks for your assistance anyway Brodie, much appreciated.
Bells2112

Hiya,

I've tried connecting to 192.168.0.1 in both IE and Firefox to try to sort out the problems I'm having trying to connect my iPhone 5 to my wifi, but it won't connect in either browser. Help?

Thanks.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Bells,

192.168.0.1 is for Netgear modems. If you have a different one the modem home page may be: 10.0.0.138

Brodie

Bells2112

It worked!! Thank you Smiley Happy

LeisaSm

Hi Brodie, I had same problem of phone not connecting to home modem wifi. Changed settings as suggested and now have also lost home modem wifi to home computer. Trying to use my iPhone hotspot to get back into net gear page to change settings back but it keeps timing out as connection taking too long.
I saw comment about resetting modem but this doesn't seem to have helped.
Help please...anyone?
Cheers,
Leisa.
LeisaSm

Called tech support and was simple fix... The password change I'd made on Telstra website hadn't worked. Modem password on modem worked. Cheers, Leisa.
GG3

re IPhone 4. Trying to set up my phone to my Telstra Wifi.

Help Great Grandad

clouded

try clicking on the info button for the wifi you are trying to access, and then you will see options, toggle through trying which one works. 

try each IP ADDRESS to see which works and

I switched HTTP PROXY to AUTO. and had SUCCESS with iphone 5s and 6.

9743keith

yes my ipad does and my pc it wont reconize my password

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit