Highlighted
DGriggs
Level 2: Rookie

nbn connection

Answered
hi got my fixed wireless nbn connected today, which is active. I have a starter pack expected to arrive on the 3rd October 2014. My question is can I use my friends technicolour TG797 router until I receive the starter pack and can telstra provide the username and password for my account prior to the starter pack being received.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: nbn connection

Hi DGriggs,

Technically speaking, NBN customers can use any BYO modem that is NBN Ready to connect to the internet, provided the service and the account are activated.

You will NOT need to configure the modem with a username and password.

Where the telephone is provided via the modem, you will need to use the modem provided by Telstra BigPond. If you would prefer to use your own modem, you can then bridge it to the Technicolor gateway.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi DGriggs,

Technically speaking, NBN customers can use any BYO modem that is NBN Ready to connect to the internet, provided the service and the account are activated.

You will NOT need to configure the modem with a username and password.

Where the telephone is provided via the modem, you will need to use the modem provided by Telstra BigPond. If you would prefer to use your own modem, you can then bridge it to the Technicolor gateway.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

foxy2
Level 1: Cadet

I am already sick of NBN drop outs cant use phone or internet thought this was an advance in technology not in my opinion
EddyaA

Hi Shelly.

I had heaps of problems with NBN and continue to have minor dropouts.  The only solution I found was to "demand" them sending me the FRONTIER modem.  I still get dropouts but at least when I do the modem gets automatically connected to the mobile network and back again when restored.  My frustration now is that my duaghter has the same problem and Telstra said they wouldn't supply her with one and that she had to buy one herself.  They are going to send her the FAST 5355 which she already has.  I believe the "frontier" should be standard in view of the NBN problems people face.  What's your thoughts and what should my daughter do?

Eddy

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Eddy, 

If your daughter is having constant drop outs, the first thing she should do is check to see if what the Link and Online lights on the modem are doing, while the drop outs are occurring.  

If the Link and Online lights stay green while the drop outs happen then please try some of the following troubleshooting steps listed on the following webpage: WiFi Troubleshooting, I find that changing the channel the modem is transmitting the WiFi signal on generally helps.

If they turn white or red then there is something wrong with the network which needs to be investigated. Please get your daughter to contact our NBN Assurance on 1800 834 273 as there may be a fault on the line and they'll need to escalate this to NBN co.

EddyaA

Hi.

My daughter has already had the problem escalated and has had very slow responses from Telstra apart from the last corresponance that I have posted previous.  It's quite hit and miss with Telstra's responses and very dissapointing followup.  

This has been going on for months just like it happened to me.  Half of the problem is Telstra's insistance on having faults handled from abroad instead of in Australia.  I do not think handling problems over the phone is ideal particularly when the people you are dealing with are not all that technically savvy.  The make promises in saying they will contact you and they don't.  They give you a number to get in contact with the same person and you get someone else that you have to repeat yourself to.  I know!  I went through this over a period of six months and like I said I demanded a Modem FRONTIER and they eventually came to the party.  Although I still get dropouts, this modem removes some of the frustrations.  I know that these problems are NBN Co. related but in the end, Telstra are providing the service and we are paying Telstra for the service.

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more