Highlighted
Cha-chi
Level 1: Cadet

nbn + home phone + netgear

Answered

Hi there,

I have just had NBN installed today and don't want to use the telstra gateway modem however i still need the land line to work.  I know that when you use the telstra modem you just plug your phone into the port on the back.  I would like to use my Netgear D6200 modem/router instead.  Is there a way i can connect my phone line to one of the uni-v outlets on the nbn equipment?  Any help would be great thanks.

Cheers

Cam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: nbn + home phone + netgear

In order to be able to use the Uni-V outlet you would have to have a word with Telstra and have an 'IP POTS' service set up instead of the NGC/VOIP set up... NBN Assurance would be your place to start, they are on 1800 834 273 option 3
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Accepted Solution

In order to be able to use the Uni-V outlet you would have to have a word with Telstra and have an 'IP POTS' service set up instead of the NGC/VOIP set up... NBN Assurance would be your place to start, they are on 1800 834 273 option 3
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Canuck1

I have the same situation and went to a Telstra shop(couldn't bare waiting on the phone any longer!!!) to ask how I could achieve this. They couldn't tell me!!  Thank you for the answer  

Support Team
Support Team

Hii Canuck1,

Please chat to our tech team on the following secure link for advice on what to do from here  http://tel.st/49kl

Let me know how you go 

Angela 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

User_friendly

I have a Netgear Nighthwak d7000 modem/router and want to link home telephone. after many hours with both Telstra Support & Netgear Support (payed service) I had to reconfigure Nighthawk to allow it to work with NBN (eventhough sold as nbn ready!). telstra Support did not recommend using after market product eventhough I said i need it to boost wifi strength & speed.

I finally got Nighthwak working which needed to be directly connected to NBN box. Netgear said not to go through T box, but said to use a splitter to connect Netgear & home telephone but need to get from ISP. Rang Telstra who said they do not support that idea and to use T box only.

I am currently reluctant to unplag & re connect anything for fear of system disconnecting (I had to contact Telstra x2 to refresh line).

What do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

By T-Box do you mean the Telstra Gateway? If you meant Telstra Gateway you could try connecting the Telstra Gateay's WAN port to the LAN port on the Netgear Modem/router an just using Telstra Gateway as a VOIP adaptor.

davkell

That is incorrect. Telstra NBN only operates via phone chat.

Just saying!!!!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now