CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
silvercity66
Level 3: Gumshoe

nbn maximum line rate reducing from 110/44 to 60/30 over 2 days

Hi My max line rate (fttn)was 110/44 for 3 to 4 months then started to reduce overnight and after 24 hrs was reading 64/30. Telstra Speed test when 110/44 was 94/34. Speed test when 66/30 is 60/24. I have been in contact with Telstra over the past 4 weeks. They sent me a new modem and did not fix the issue. On Monday night (10/9/18) a Telstra rep made an appointment with nbn. He told me they would be there on Tuesday morning. No one turned up. I have waited at home all day Tuesday/wed/and today. Still no on e turned up. Contacted Telstra again and was told the ticket was closed. I am so frustrated about the blocking by Telstra. 50 to 100 is considered to be premium speed. What a joke! Also every time I reboot my modem my max line rate goes back to approximately 110/44. Does anybody have any ideas what to do? Is there a Telstra or nbn phone number I can call to talk to someone that knows what I am talking about. Who actually knows about the nbn? I am not a racist person but the operators in the call centres are taught to give predetermined answers to all problems. They have it down pat what they have to say. One cannot get past the brick wall. Please help. Michael

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
22 REPLIES 22
silvercity66

Maximum line rate dropping

Further to my previous post Telstra even sent me an email advising that I could get at least 107 download speed and for me to add the premium speed to my plan. Checking on ISP websites I am informed that nbn says I should be able to have 100 download speeds. I know I am one of the lucky ones that has their node and pillar side by side just under 300m away. but it is no good being lucky if Telstra and nbn will not fix the problem. Michael

silvercity66

Re: nbn maximum line rate reducing from 110/44 to 60/30 over 2 days

I am going to put a complaint in to nbn. 

Support Team
Support Team

Hi silvercity66, We do have a dedicated NBN Assurance Team who can assist with this matter. They can be contacted directly via 1800 834 273 and details of the NBN Speeds can also be viewed via  http://tel.st/v4umw

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

silvercity66

MammaB, Thank you for your reply. On Monday I will try the 1800 number you have given to me. If this number calls an overseas call centre then I will probably hang up because I have tried overseas call centres for the last 4 weeks and most have left me very frustrated and stressed out. None of them are allowed to think for themselves and they are not allowed to try to understand what I am explaining to them. Michael

Support Team
Support Team

I am so very sorry about this experience and assure you that we want to help resolve this as quickly as possible. If you have any further concerns regarding this, please pop back here on Monday and we shall do all we can to help from here. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

silvercity66

MammaB, I will call the number on Monday. After that I will complain to nbn if necessary if there is no help from the nbn assurance team. Also on Saturday I was talking to a friend of mine who is a Telstra employee and told him my nbn problems. He pulled out his phone, called an nbn number and accessed nbn data for my premises. Category 4 ? premises should be able to have download speed of between 88-100. Reboot my modem at home Max LR -110/44. Line rate - 107/40. Very very frustrating!! Why can:t the overseas call centres access this data?
Just before replying I checked my max line rate and line rate. My line rate is actually 3 mb download faster than my max line rate????? does not make sense. Thanks for your advice. Michael
Support Team
Support Team

Thank you for getting back to me. Please let us know the outcome tomorrow if you can. 

Level 25: The Singularity

If it is the maximum line rate that is dropping, then it is an issue between the node and your house and it is the node that is reducing the speed in order to maintain a reliable signal.

Complaining to NBN Co will result in them telling you to contact Telstra. The problem then becomes that even if Telstra request a visit by an NBN Co technician, there is no guarantee thst NBN Co will send one.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
silvercity66

Jupiter, don't forget it was reliable for at least 3 mths and nbn data shows should be able to get 88-100 as of saturday. I have good attenuation and noise margins even when I reboot modem and max lr is 112/44 with a line rate of 107/40. download speed on Telstra is 94/40. Thanks for the reply

Level 24: Supreme Being

Compare the SNR just after a reboot to when the speed has slowed. If the SNR has increased this will indicate that the speed was lowered by the node to maintain a reliable signal.

Even though the connection ran at full speed initially a fault could have occurred recently.

Have you checked the DSL diagnostics (Advanced > Broadband > DSL Diagnostics)? On a good connection there is usually only FEC and perhaps a few CRC, ERS and SERS errors.

silvercity66 you used the word that is very appropriate in this situation, "should". Past reliability is no guarantee of future performance. There are many things that could have changed locally that cause the node to drop your connection rate.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
silvercity66

cf4 I am going to post the requested diagnostics shortly. will give all diagnostics now and also will reboot and post the new diagnostics. My turn to make dinner tonight so held up for a while. Might take some time as I am 68 and not really up with it all.
Michael
silvercity66

uptime - 3dys 4 hrs
max line rate - 29.02 up 70.47 down Line rate - 28.26 up down - 73.35
output power - up 6.8 down 13.3. line attn - up 4.9, 21.9, 33.5, DOWN - 11.9, 28.2, 43.3
noise margin - up 5.2 down 4.8 CRC, ERS, AND SERS ALL - 0 FEC FOR CURRENT DAY - 131/452, PRIOR DAY - 198/9975

REBOOTED MODEM - STATS AFTER 15 MINS
Max line rate - up 45.22 down - 111.01 Line rate - up 40 down 108.79
output power - up 7 down 12.8 line atten - up 4.9, 21.9, 33.4 down - 11.8, 28.2, 43.3
noise margin - up 9.2 down - 6.7dB
I have had the cabling done in my house before nbn arrived. One point cat5.
After reboot CRC, ERS, SERS all 0. FEC Current day 1 showtime 12

hope this is enough and understandable. Thanks for the help
silvercity66

Jupiter I have just posted some stats if it helps. Michael

Thanks for posting those stats. The only difference is a slight decrease in SNR which could explain the lower speed. Unless a stability profile has been applied the modem and Node try to maintain a SNR of at least 6 dB. The line is stable as the only errors are FEC errors so there would be no reason to lower the speed to improve the stability of the link.   I am also 68.

silvercity66

Now I know why you are a superhero. Because you are 68. thanks for the reply. It is now 1hr 35 mins after reboot and the maximum line rate has reduced to 103.68/42.12.  Noise margin up - 5.1  down 4.8. So the same as when the maximum line rate was 70.47/  29.02 before the reboot. So would you say  all is ok with my stats etc but possibly a problem at the node or pillar or line or all 3. Thanks Michael

silvercity66

just did a Telstra speed test. 94/34

I don't think there is a problem in the line, pillar or node. If there was a problem it would show up in the DSL Diagnostics as link retrain counts and other errors but the only errors on your link are FEC.

The only thing not normal is SNR is lower than it should be. There might be noise due to cross talk from another link.

silvercity66

cf4 with the SNR being lower than normal, is it an issue that can be fixed? Is crosstalk from others still being on adsl2. Or nbn crosstalk?

It could be ADSL or another NBN FTTN connection. The problem could be occurring now after three months due to a recent connection.
It is fixable but would be difficult to find and as your speed is well above the maximum guaranteed speed by NBN CO (25/5) and there are no drop outs it will be difficult to get NBN Co to fix the problem. Even if you take it to the TIO you would probably end up getting compensated for the extra cost of the speed boost and the fault not being fixed.
silvercity66

MammaB Just letting you know the outcome of my call to the nbn assurance team on 1800834273.   I phoned and talked to a consultant eventually after going through all the questions that the automated female voice asks. I was asked to wait by the consultant, which I did. All of a sudden the automated female voice came on and asked me to rate Telstra on how they went in fixing my problem. I gave them a 0. Cannot even manage a phone call at one of the overseas call centres. Absolutely disgraceful!!! This is the type of thing that happens from Telstra all the time. Tomorrow I complain to nbn. I am just shattered. Michael

silvercity66

MammaB Just letting you know the outcome of my call to the nbn assurance team on 1800834273.   I phoned and talked to a consultant eventually after going through all the questions that the automated female voice asks. I was asked to wait by the consultant, which I did. All of a sudden the automated female voice came on and asked me to rate Telstra on how they went in fixing my problem. I gave them a 0. Cannot even manage a phone call at one of the overseas call centres. Absolutely disgraceful!!! This is the type of thing that happens from Telstra all the time. Tomorrow I complain to nbn. I am just shattered.

Michael

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now