CrowdSupport®
Dazzle6
Level 3: Gumshoe

no internet but all lights are green

We have had NBN since mid January 2018. Excluding a few hiccups and a couple of modem changes, our internet was working reasonably @ about 25 - 27 mbs.  We were meant to have boost but we were relatively happy with speed. In April of 1019, we wanted to connect a home phone to our setup with  the TVoice -503. We were happy with Telstra prompt service as only 2 days later it arrived on our door step. checking the manual it was easy to set up , hit pair button on modem and register on phone and bingo, it should have worked but didn't. We rang Telstra and told them our 503 had no dial tone. They sent someone out to disconnect our NBN and connect phone at node. >.< . when tech came around to let us know what he had done, we asked him to go back and connect our NBN again. We called Telstra back TLSmiley Very HappyR, to cut a long story short. After 2 months we can either have nbn with no phone or phone with 4g back up they can't seem to give us nbn with phone. ATM our modem shows all green lights except mobile backup. Mygateway shows we are connected to internet,but we can't browse the internet. If we unplug the cable from wall socket we get 4g backup and everything works fine except 5-6 mbs. Phone works either way, well it did, now it works periodically. We have had something like 5-6 Telstra techs come out and something like 8-9 NBN co techs come out. NBN co plugs their modem in and they get a connections 14-18mbs. we plug our modem in and lights are green but no can browse. we ring telstra and tell them and they want to send another tech out. We did get some one out, I think a Telstra tech, showed us his paperwork and it reminded us that another tech and created a new nbn pathway thinking we were new customers , so tech went and checked node and sure enough we were plugged into wrong port. He came back and told us we were now plugged into port number 176. We got internet back but no phone. Called Telstra AGAIN. They sent out Telstra tech and his paperwork said port 172, we said no port number 176 he went to investigate at node and changed it to port 178 and we lost internet again, but phone works. NBN  co says Telstra is blocking us and Telstra says it's NBN programming . I really don't care whose fault it is . Does anyone know wtf is going on and what might help , Please

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
28 REPLIES 28
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: no internet but all lights are green

Telstra Techs wont touch the ports in an NBN node, only NBN techs/NBN Contractors can NBN Equipment. I'd recommend raising a complaint if you haven't already to get this resolved.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Has Telstra supplied you with a different modem at any time to try to fix the phone fault?  I have seen other post were people have been able to pair the T-Voice 503 to a  Gen 2 smart modem but have no dial tone and are unable to make and receive calls. The T-Voice 503 was designed for F@st5355 modem. There are two types of Smart Modem Gen 2 an Arcadian LH1000 and Technicolor DJA0231. I not sure which model has the problem with the T-Voice 503. I suggest that next time you speak to Telstra that you request a different modem or another type off phone.

As for why you have no internet when connected to NBN I suspect it is a Telstra programming error.

Dazzle6

At one stage in the process of working our problem out, we got phone working. It didn't matter if cable was plugged into wall socket or on 4g back up, it worked. The internet only worked when the wall socket was unplugged and on 4g backup. We have a Technicolor DJ0231 modem. They sent us out the Arcadian LH1000 but after reading crowd support was too scared to use it.

We have another nbn co tech coming out on 19/6/2019, but not sure , if anything what he can do. Seems like we have to go with out home phone just so we can have internet or have ADSL 2+ speeds to get phone.

ATM we don't even have home phone and are on 4g back up. nbn co technician will only tell us everything is working fine and Telstra will tell us it's nbn co problem....

Have had complaint in for awhile now. We have RS number and 4 digit code for phone calls. As for which Tech did what, I don't really know. Since April this year we have had at least 10 Techs come out, I could be(probably am), miss-remembering which Tech said/did what.

Support Team
Support Team

Hey Dazzie6,

I can see that you have advised there will be a tech visit being completed later today the 19/07/2019. Please do let us know how that does go and if they have this working correctly for you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Dazzle6

So nbn co Tech said all is well, IF, you have a 12/1 connection.... apparently 12/1 is voice only. So we rang the Telstra 13  phone number not the Telstra platinum phone number and we got a person named Joel( love you Joel). He said we have conflicting orders between Telstra and nbn co. One said phone and one said phone and internet. And Phone was the one that won. So when our case manager finally rang back we tried for awhile to explain to him what NBN co Tech plus Joel (  love  you Joel) said. the penny finally dropped when our complaints manager saw that our account with Telstra said NBN plus phone and between Telstra and NBN Co said phone only. All praise Joel from Townsville. So this is now an accounts job , hopefully they can fix it. When someone doesn't know whats going on he actually listened and found the problem. Instead of running round in circles following protocol which isn't fixing **bleep**.

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for your response and great to read that Joel has provided some high level service.

Your time during this process is very much appreciated and please do reach out if you have any other questions or concerns moving forward.

- Jimmy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Dazzle6

seems no one can do anything on my account now unless it goes through my case manager. All that needs to be done is :

1. Telstra check my account, see it says nbn  plus phone with foxtel.

2. See if nbn has same, (I know it wont show up with foxtel but) nbn plus phone surely will

3. tell nbn co to change to nbn plus phone 

DONE

but nooo Telstra's procedure wont let anyone else do anything to our account except case manager.

This morning NBN tech came out and check line AGAIN, still have 12/1 connection, which is phone only. Well Telstra change it to nbn and phone it's not hard.. No more excuses, just fix it . they tell me i have had nbn since 11/7/2019, what a load of bs. tech on friday and tech this morning both said 12/1 connection, if it was nbn and phone connection it would have showed up as 25/5  not 12/1.  IF someone can fix this issue, then fix it. IDC who does it . The case manager aint doing squat. "We are in a meeting about you case". What? there is nothing to be in a meeting about, you know the problem now . if it can't be changed then cancel it and redo it. FFS sack everyone and let Joel from Townsvile do it. Seems like Joel is only competent person I have spoken too about this problem and his hands are tied because of stupid procedures.

I'm sick of spending hours on the phone and getting 2 different stories. FIX IT OR I'M OUT.

Support Team
Support Team

Thank you for your reply. Once a case manager is assigned they do handle the case one on one. They do not work weekends if you were waiting for a reply to an email or anything, but they are back in today. What was your complaint reference number? I will use it to contact your case manager and request they investigate and call you as soon as possible.

- Ryan

Dazzle6

the person i spoke to on the phone forwarded a message to case manager. I understand the idea of being one on one but it seems like every one now wont listen to new information and wants to pass it back to someone who will only follow procedure. A procedure which, mind you, doesn't even have a step to see if nbn co and telstra are on same page. 

Dazzle6

if nothing happens by tomorrow morning i will happily give you RS number.

Support Team
Support Team

OK thank you I understand. I apologise it feels like a clunky process, we will pass this feedback on. Yep OK no problem, please let us know how you go.

- Ryan

Dazzle6

So, it's been 5 days since anyone has contacted us about our nbn internet access. I am getting into so many arguments in my house about our lack of progress and remaining loyal to a company that is not helping. I rang Telstra last night to get progress report on my problem and they sent me to tech support again and wanted to go through reset and power cycle trouble shooting bs again.I tried to explain AGAIN what the issue was and they wanted to send another Tech out again. At $180 a pop for nbn co Techs and $150 or so for Telstra tech to be sent out to our house, we need to be a customer to Telstra another 2 years or so for them to break even with the amount of techs they have sent out. With this type of service, that is not going to happen. As far as I know, our  case manager is in the progress of changing , it has been 7 days since we found the problem and still no progress. If i ran a company like Telstra is doing, I would be in jail.

So as much as I would like to let things play out in it's own time, I have to insist that this problem come to a conclusion in the near future. 

Like today.

GET NBN CO TO CHANGE OUR CONNECTION TO INTERNET AND PHONE, NOT JUST PHONE. Is that so hard . It better be done by tonight or at least have report saying it will be done by Monday at the latest. My stress levels are through the roof, I am having arguments with partner and other family members that live in this house. and it's all over this problem. This is it, I cannot do it anymore. Telstra is leaving me no other choice but go to another provider. I have a problem ( I am unemployed and was having problems paying my mobile home bill and Telstra disconnected me and I still paying off my plan but I am still staying loyal to a company that does not understand?). WOW am I stupid or what?

SR1-2104120777212. as I am between case managers atm any one should be able to fix it. SO FIX IT, FIX IT, FIX IT. Last word FIX IT, no if's and or buts, if it's not fixed Monday, then I will have to say it's a catastrophic failure on Telstra's behalf and claim they cannot provide service I am paying for, making our contract null and void, and I will go to another service provider

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for that, @Dazzle6 and I can only apologise for the experience so far. I can see that the case manager is still working on this for you and if required this will be reassigned but I don't have access to specifics on the transfer.

Did they provide you with a date for when to expect an update?

Thanks

Dazzle6

Last we heard on Monday, they said 3-5 days (today is day 5). I thought it would be a small issue to rectify. 

e.g

Telstra:" Can you please change connection from phone to internet and voice? thank you."

nbn co:" account you would like changed?"

Telstra: provides our details

nbn co : "no problems" flicks a switch.

nbn co: "done."

Telstra: "thank you "

Less time than it takes for me to type it out.

Support Team
Support Team

It's likely not as simple as a flick of a switch, these are complex network changes and we need to work with the NBN to resolve it. I appreciate that this should be a simple change but there are process to complete these update.

Sorry again that this has taken longer than expected.

Dazzle6

Really don't know how much more of my time I can invest with this issue. I have already contacted other providers and they can get me connected in 48 hours of signing up. Not sure how much longer i can put up with this sort of incompetence. If nbn co can change our connection from internet to phone only in 1 day why can't they change it to internet and voice in  1 day. We never asked for the change, all we wanted was for Telstra to get our Tvoice 503 working and they took it upon themselves to change it. 1 Day was all it took.........  You people are so caught up in your procedures that you cannot/will not do anything else. Just call them up , please, and start the procedure of getting us back on the internet. We know the problem now fix it.

Dazzle6

who do we have to contact to cancel our contract on grounds that Telstra cannot provide a service ?

Support Team
Support Team

The case manager will be in the best position to provide an updated on this situation, regrettably, I have limited access here. 

I am confident we can sort this out for you and the case manager will be in touch with an update ASAP.

Thanks

Highlighted
Dazzle6

It would be nice for case manager to call us to keep us informed of progress instead of us having to ring up continuously or leaving statements on crowd support that fall on deaf ears or only people that are unable to do anything can see. Seems Telstra can cancel my account if they feel I have broken contract, but feel free to do anything they choose as I cannot retaliate like wise

. I am disappointed that this problem can't be fixed as quickly as Telstra created it.

"sigh".

Dazzle6

Update 26/07/2019, day 38 on 4g back up.

so , case manager called, said all is well with our account. We tried to clarify that they have contacted nbn co and fixed the discrepancy between nbn and Telstra. Looking out our account she assured us they we have nbn plus voice. We replied that we knew that is what we were paying for but had to explain that  our problem was nbn co thought we had voice only and Telstra had to tell them no, no it's a internet and voice connection. Her reply was that we are definitely connected to nbn with voice. So taking a deep breath we followed her request of plugging our cable into the wall while she was still on the phone. Sure enough, NO INTERNET (lmao, cries). So once again , sounding like a broken record to my own ears I repeated. NBN co techs said 12/1 connect which is usually phone only we should be on 25/5 connection which is internet and voice.

WE actually overheard nbn co operator talking to nbn co tech that we only have VOICE  line and that Telstra was meant to get in contact with nbn co to have this issue fixed.

nbn co tech then told us to tell Telstra to contact them to fix issue.

So please Telstra get in contact with nbn co and tell them that our account is internet plus voice. 

thank you .

Our number again is SR1-2104120777212 please anyone just contact nbn co and tell them this account is  internet plus voice.

Dazzle6

only thing i want to see or hear from telstra is that they have contacted nbn co and told them our account is internet and voice,so nbn co can change our phone only connection to internet and voice connection and when transfer will be completed.

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for that information and feedback @Dazzle6

I have emailed your case manager and their one up manager with this information and requested that they get in touch as soon as possible in the new business week to assist.

Please let us know how you go and do reach out again if you have any further questions or concerns.

- Jimmy

Dazzle6

Update 29/7/2019, 41 days on 4g back up. (Deep Blue hasn't gotten back to me with exact time)

So, on Sunday morning we received phone call from Telstra saying that the outage in our area has been fix. We thank them but said that our problem was communication issue between nbn co and Telstra.

They told us that there had been an outage for awhile and it had been rectified and to plugged our modem into socket and it would work. So to comply with Telstra 's wishes ( I do as they ask, but no one is doing what we ask), I plugged cable into wall socket and back of modem. After a few minutes of cycling, our wan/dsl light came on( as always has) and back up light went off ( as per usual ) and we still had no internet ( OMG no one has communicated with nbn co ,so of course it's not going to be back on).

Telstra assures us we have internet and voice connection, but nbn co says that it's a voice only service, and (nbn co continues to say) if Telstra gets in contact with nbn co and changes it,we can all move forward. 

So in conclusion : step 1/ Telstra call nbn co.

step 2/ ask them to change our connection from voice only to internet and voice

step 3/ reimburse us as telstra have been charging us internet and voice while only renting voice line off nbn co ( massive profit there).

this will avoid me doing the following step 1/ voicing our complaint to ACCC.

step 2/ calling telecommunications ombudsman for complaint

step 3/ calling our lawyer to proceed with court actions.

so, in summary, Telstra needs to call nbn co to change our connection from voice only to internet and voice. I have saved all communications with Telstra chat, and as all telephone calls are recorded for training purposes, I am sure it will be easy for courts to get them transcribed. So please I do not wish for this to go to court, all I want  is Internet and voice connection. If Telstra will please contact nbn co and ask them to change our line from voice only to internet and voice.

Thank you for your time . I hope this can be rectified soon as I keep using up all 4g back up and have to spend time with Telstra on the phone to get more. (don't know why, this could all be fixed if Telstra just rang nbn co and ask them to change our connection to internet and voice).

Don't know if I have mentioned this but even though Telstra has it on our account that we are internet and voice ( which they assure us that because it shows on their computers it must be true) nbn co has it on their computers that we have voice only line which also makes it true. as we don't have internet and our phone works fine I think nbn co is more true and Telstra is wrong.

Support Team
Support Team

I've forwarded your post to the case manager assigned to your complaint and their team leader asking for return contact and further updates on progress once they're available next, and I trust this can be completed for you soon.

Dazzle6

We received an e-mail from nbn co, they request that Telstra contact them concerning this matter.

reference number 07506598

direct quote from e-mail:

Your RSP will need to lodge an incident with nbn relating to this matter. Our specialist area will work to rectify the issue and will liaise directly with your RSP to provide updates on the incident.

If your RSP has already raised an incident, we recommend that you contact them directly to follow-up on the progress of this matter.

If the RSP you have chosen is unable to complete your request or is facing any issues please advise that they are to contact nbn via NOC and we will advise them of the appropriate steps

Dazzle6

after contacting Telstra again , it turns out we are no longer under contract and have not been since January of this year. 

So also we found out procedure of complaints and bringing the ACCC and Ombudsman into our dilemma. It turns out we don't have a leg to stand on and procedure will take too long to come to a conclusion. The only thing that kept me from leaving was thinking I was under contract still. As that is no longer the case I can leave at any time with out having to pay out remaining contract.

So we are now free to choose another ISP.

Thank you Telstra, for the past 25 years of service. I wish I could stay but the last 4 months of telephone calls , then the last 5 weeks of 4g backup have sealed the deal. I wish things could be different but Telstra no longer values our relationship.

I don't know how that makes you feel but to me it's like losing a long time friend.

goodbye.

Dazzle6

Dazzle6

So finally heard back from case manager after a month of not hearing from anyone. First question they asked me was ,"Did I get in contact with nbn Co. like I said I was going to ?".

"Cough" I was stunned as my last communication with case manager was requesting they contact nbn Co. and gave them reference number that nbn Co. had already given me in regards to our problem.

So in a month Telstra had done nothing. 

I am so glad I changed ISP and they had already fixed my problem with 96 hours of account activation or it would have been another month on 4g back up.

So bye Telstra. If only you had contacted nbn Co. and told them we wanted voice and internet. I cannot have been too hard as new ISP did it.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now