CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
vanderbeest
Level 1: Cadet

"Upgrading" to ADSL2 from ADSL1

Answered

I'm looking to confirm the most efficient way to arrange for my line to be ADSL2 "enabled".

As it stands, searching my address or phone number online confirms I should be able to access ADSL2 service on my line - when I log into my account on telstra.com it does make reference to ADSL, but not whether it's 1 or 2. However, a number of things tell me that I'm only connecting at ADSL1:

• In my modem configuration, it's currently set to auto for selection of DSL mode and it connects without issue - manually forcing it to ADSL1 connects fine, but forcing it to ADSL2 or ADSL2+ fails to connect. This pretty much confirms to me I'm ADSL1 only.
  • My current speeds seem to be sitting at ADSL1 levels (3872 kbps down, 384 kbps up).
  • Conversation with friends living nearby tells me that I'm definitely getting significantly slower download speeds than they are. Not sure what plans they're on, etc, but it certainly tells me that I may not be getting the most out of my connection.

I've been reading on forums (including this one) that certain "codes" need to be applied to my account to enable an ADSL2 service. I'm not a broadband expert, so I do not know whether or not this is accurate, or whether this is the root cause (or if it's even advisable depending on the location of my exchange).

What is the most efficient way to have this looked at, and have codes applied (or services enabled) if needed? I have no desire to spend a couple of hours sitting at the the end of the phone if I can avoid it...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: "Upgrading" to ADSL2 from ADSL1

Hi vanderbeest,

Your quickest way to confirm if ADSL 2+ is available at your address is by contacting our Bigpond Activations team on 137663 who can confirm this & if it's available make the change for you, it takes 4 business days for the change of codes (ADSL to ADSL 2+) to occur.

Thanks 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi vanderbeest,

Your quickest way to confirm if ADSL 2+ is available at your address is by contacting our Bigpond Activations team on 137663 who can confirm this & if it's available make the change for you, it takes 4 business days for the change of codes (ADSL to ADSL 2+) to occur.

Thanks 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

vanderbeest
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks Esther.

I've contacted the team as suggested. Whilst I did spend a bit of time on hold, but it wasn't too painful and the gent was very nice...and I have been advised that steps have now been taken to upgrade my line to ADSL2+.

It will apparently be completed as quickly as midnight tonight, so hopefully I'll be able to take advantage of those increased speeds over the weekend. Excellent result.

Thanks again for your advice.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

No worries, great to hear this has been sorted for you Smiley Happy 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now