Highlighted
casperu2
Level 1: Cadet

re line speed/throttling

hi, i got the liberty plan 200gb & meant to throttle after that to 300kbs. when i go to speedtest.net (before it throttles) it says my line speed 11Mbs download. the max i get is 1 to 1.1Mb download. when i queried line speed at speedtest.net & what i was physicly getting i was told telstra dont throttle till i reach my 200gb.

ive had the plan for 3 months & i was throttled the first month & i was forced to ring telstra as my line speed was 30kbs not 300kbs & it taking minutes to open a webpage....they said nothing wrong their end & it 300kbson their end but put my speed back up as goodwill.

the following month i watched my downloads & wasnt over.this month im over & sure enough back to 30kbs throttling.

look i dont care if speed throttled as that what contract says but it should be 300kbs not 30kbs.

its like having dialup all over again.

speedtest.net says now my line speed 200kbs now & that about right as im trying to download something & cant get more that 19kbs....i said numerous times to telstra that if you not throttling actual line speed then something wrong.it looks like whatever my line speed is you giving me 10% of it..eg if speedtest.net says line is 11Mbs & so does my modem & telstra tech who came out tested with his modem & it 11Mbs  (and said they throttling me) & im getting 1Mbs then it stands to reason if you throttle me to 300kbs it gives me 30kbs.

anyhow would like any suggestions anyone has...maybe im doing something wrong?...ive tried different modems,reset settings,checked leads etc

i have a billion modem 7800n & also tried with telstra modem & another netgear.im using a mac if that makes any difference.

thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: re line speed/throttling

Hi Casperu2,

You are no doubt aware of the following already, however I would like to confirm that when you are performing speed tests that you are:

- testing with only one computer connected via LAN to the modem

- disconnected or turned off any other WiFi devices such as smart phones, gaming consoles, T-Box

- exited out of any unnecessary programs, particularly those that back up to a cloud server or involves file sharing

- Tried alternate servers on speedtest.net and/or other test sites such as http://www.ozspeedtest.com/ or http://speedof.me/ which does not need Flash or Java.

If you are still experiencing slowed speeds, the next step is to check the equipment and configuration. Have a read through the information in the following link to make sure that a simple fix has not been missed. http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/How-to-perform-an-Isolation-Test/ta-p/5501...

I would also recommend double-checking the configuration of your BYO modem. The recommended settings can be found here: https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/set-up-adsl-byo-modem

In some circumstances, you will need to apply a line profile to provide greater stability for the data being sent. The following link provides information on how you can apply these line profiles.  https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/adsl-line-profiles 

If you continue to experience difficulties with speed, the next step is to contact our Tech Support team on 133 933 or via Live Chat

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

keek
Level 3: Gumshoe

I'm getting this issue as well. I'm on Bigpond Ultimate Velocity 200GB and gone past my usage limit. 
The throttling/shaping pushed my speed down to 40kbps even though I should still have 256kbps as per the contract.

Test is done using ozspeedtest.com. This is not acceptable.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey keek,

Firstly, welcome to CrowdSupport. Please stick around and offer any expertise you have in the range of topics we have here, in our Community.

keek, could you please run through the steps that Shelly has suggested above and report back your results. If it's still under what you should be getting, then our Tech Team here will look into this further for you. Thanks keek.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

keek
Level 3: Gumshoe

My apologies, it seems I've made a mistake.

I get the 40kbps from ozspeedtest.com running the recommended Optus server.

Today I tried with other mirrors provided in ozspeedtest.com and got ~256kbps download speed from Pivit server in Brisbane consistently.

So the shaping speed was correct in my case.
johntoo

OK, OK, I lied, I've contributed one more time to this issue!

"not 300kbs & it taking minutes to open a webpage...". from the original post in this thread... keek, as I 've said before, (on Whirlpool.net.au), you don't need a speed test to tell you you are at dead stop, do you?  When I was being shaped, I didn't need any techno-babble to tell me that the problem I was experiencing was due to Telstra...

Plenty of evidence...go to whirlpool and search for "shaping"

Nickkoops
Level 2: Rookie

I. Currently having the same problem with telstra my internet is average at best until my son tries to play or update his p2p games then my internet just crashes or slows down to the point that can't be used yet telstra tell us they don't throttle our internet . Sorry telstra but I have been trying to sort this out with you long enough now you have even had treks out here but I think they just put it the to hard basket and move on to next job
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Nickkoops

Welcome to CrowdSupport. Unless you are in Victoria and have been informed of your P2P traffic being throttled it won't affect your internet speed. Customers involved will be advised if they are part of the trial. More details here: http://goo.gl/1X6bo5

If the above does not apply in your case it would be best to check your account usage and if no joy try an isolation test as per Shelly's post above.

For more info on the above or anything else or anything else feel free to contact our Tech support team on 133 933 or through Live Chat

-Faaiz

davo007

Out of curiosity, when did the p2p trial start?
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Davo,

The information I could find indicates around Feb 2013: http://exchange.telstra.com.au/2013/02/08/telstra-broadband-experience-trial-mythbuster/

Brodie

MisterBesh

You do release that speedtest.net and any other speed test website provides you your internet speed at Megabits per second.. and when your downloading something its in MagaBytes per second. So what ever your speed is in speedtest.net you have to divide by 8 exactly but usually 10 due to other issues to see your speed for MB/s. 

tazzy103

im on the 500gb plain and i get throttled every day to 300 kb/s and an unstable  upload when an hour before that i was on 18mbps and a stable 3mbps upload not happy at all i have trouble streaming to twitch and its not twitches falt because i can stream with my optus phone and have used other isps and have had no trouble pick up your act  

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi tazzy103

Can I ask why you believe that we are throttling you?
And if you say it's happening every day - do you mean instead that there is congestion, so at a certain time of the day, your speed slows?

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now