CrowdSupport®
matymoo
Level 2: Rookie

remove me from pgs.

Remove me from PGS so I can get broadband.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
type3
Level 6: Bloodhound

Re: remove me from pgs.

not so easy.............pgs may be the only feed for your area

Level 24: Supreme Being

Oh yes Maty, bam and every PGS in the country is gone...

type3 is very right...

It also depends on what type of PGS as to what could in theory be done... 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

type3

there are some customers in the bush (50km from canberra for example) who are on pgs and have no mobile coverage.

spare a thought for them as the only internet they can get is satelite.

matymoo

Telstra have known for a decade that PGS is incompatible with ADSL, yet they continue to install it in brand new areas. It's disgraceful.
type3

pair gains are not installed in new areas.   pair gain systems were in before adsl was invented in most cases.

matymoo

My street is two years old. My home was completed a week ago. It is a new area. I am subject to PGS despite what you say.

Just because you are behind a rim which is preventing ADSL doesn't mean it was just installed. The cable to your street may be new but the rim may be significantly older. Or you might be to far from the actual exchange to provide adsl... Anyway, Telstra Wholesale have a legal requirement to provide access to pstn land line phone service not to Internet service.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

matymoo

this forum seems like a complete waste of time. Just more Telstra waffle and no real solutions to customers service faults.

That is fine, if that is how you feel. 

The fact is that there are a large number of people in the country who are connected to RIM which aren't able to support ADSL, or any of the other things which are under the tag of PGS, most of the RIM which are in use, except the Top-Hat ones, were installed a number of years back... they installed a number of Top-Hat systems which allowed ADSL connection, however the impending nature of the NBN has left the commercial benefits of investing into any Fixed services minimal at best... 

Other than that, this forum is run by Telstra Retail who have no control over the inferstructure, and are exactly the same as any other ISP which runs on the same lines, your issue is with Telstra Wholesale, they are run as seperate companies... If you are really interested have a google of the Structural Seperation Undertaking... and on top of that, you don't really have a fault, you - might - have an issue, but it is not a fault... which if you really want fixed, I would suggest talking to your local member about NBN in your area, as it is quite likely, that like the other people in the same situation, you might be waiting a while... 

Anyway, If you actually wanted Telstra to help out and try resolve your issue, if it was at all possible, you would be best contacting Telstra directly, such as lodging a complaint since the tone of each of your messages is that you are hard done by, and they may be able to help, these are public forums and the comments for the most part are Telstra customers who have no more capability to help then you and many of whom are in the same or worst circumstances... 

Helpful Links

matymoo

I've contacted them several times. Absolutely no help. You say a large number of people are connected via RIMs. Well isn't that disgraceful. Telstra have known for over a decade that this technology is limited, yet they have sat on their hands. That's my issue. They've don't sweet FA to fix this. In fact, they have continued installing this limited technology knowing full well that it will prevent customers from having ADSL supplied to their premises. I've lived at 3 addresses over the last 10 years. At each location I've had to fight to get pair gain removed. I'm completely fed up with this pathetic game. It's 2015. Sadly, Telstra are stuck in 1998.
type3

call NBN Co and complain that they havent connected your house to fibre yet and see how far that gets you !!!!

matymoo

Even FTTN would be better than NO broadband at all. I've contacted NBN. My area is at least 2 years away from being commenced. This is ridiculous, as apparently, I've found, many people in my area are in the same boat. Yet at my old address, a top hat was installed on the RIM just 2 years ago. Nobody has an issue getting ADSL once that was done. But guess what? Just 2 years later and fibre to the PREMISES has just about been completed. Priorities are back to front.

Well, again, their legal requirement isn't to provide internet...

If you have had 'Pair Gain' removed at the who previous houses, it is more likely you were in an area with no ports then behind a RIM, unless you were in two areas which both received Top-Hats...

I kinda dislike the term, because it is pretty much used to describe any reason you can't access the connection...

although, again, they are not installing new RIMs, they haven't for a while, they are not installing barely anything because of the NBN... they would just lose any investment they make. On top of that, there is only so far they can expand the Copper network, they are relying on a Copper network which was never designed for internet... a copper network which they can only expand so far, because if they were to upgrade every exchange the chances are that they would then struggle to have enough bandwidth and people would still be upset because the copper network isn't designed for how we are using it...

We are stuck in 1998, because we are using a copper technology, which has been being used in like the 1890s...
Helpful Links

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now