CrowdSupport®
sreynolds1963
Level 1: Cadet

service slowed

Answered

Im using the Sierra 4G wifi internet connection and have had my service slowed due to exceeding my download limit.

According to 'My Account' the service was slowed on the January 31, but it didnt become noticable until February 4, where it is simply unusable, speedtest.net shows it running at a pathetic 0.04Mps

When I made the decision to purchase a 4G service, I was told that if I exceeded my monthly usage it would drop to 3G speeds - which is why I went with 4G and not 3G - my 3G mobile is getting between 3 and 4Mps, and in my opinion 0.04Mps is obviously NOT 3G speed

Another thing I discoverd after setting upi the 4G device in total contradiction to the then current Telstra 4G area service map that I didn't get 4G at my home location, but my friends a few kms down the road did although it showed they wouldn't. I enquired at my local Telstra store about the aerial for the device only to be told that if I wasn't getting 4G now the aerial would not help - what is the purpose of the aerial?

Hoping someone can offer some clarification on these isuues.

Thanks in advance

Scott. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: service slowed

@sreynolds1963 wrote:

When I made the decision to purchase a 4G service, I was told that if I exceeded my monthly usage it would drop to 3G speeds - which is why I went with 4G and not 3G - my 3G mobile is getting between 3 and 4Mps, and in my opinion 0.04Mps is obviously NOT 3G speed

This is factually incorrect. Bigpond Mobile Broadband services slow to 64kbps (or 0.06Mbps) after you exceed your limit (Refer to page 1 of http://telstra.com.au/my-offer-summaries/download/document/my-offer-summary-bigpond-mobile-broadband... for the information)

If you were advised this by the sales consultant, I would suggest contacting the Store with the information I have given you and lodging a complaint, as the product may not suit your needs. You would then be entitled to, potentially, get out of the contract (assuming you hadn't had the opportunity to read the My Offer Summary).

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15
Ben_F
Accepted Solution

@sreynolds1963 wrote:

This is factually incorrect. Bigpond Mobile Broadband services slow to 64kbps (or 0.06Mbps) after you exceed your limit (Refer to page 1 of http://telstra.com.au/my-offer-summaries/download/document/my-offer-summary-bigpond-mobile-broadband... for the information)

If you were advised this by the sales consultant, I would suggest contacting the Store with the information I have given you and lodging a complaint, as the product may not suit your needs. You would then be entitled to, potentially, get out of the contract (assuming you hadn't had the opportunity to read the My Offer Summary).

B.

New Users - Click Here!

sreynolds1963

Thanks Ben,

I was probably given the 'My Offer Summary' to read, but went on the word of the Telstra stores 'knowledgable' staff member Smiley Sad

However I have been able to secure some additional download allowance to get me through these next few days until the next billing period begins.

What is your opinion on the 4G aerial? What purpose does it actually serve - is it for wi-fi to other devices or for signal reception?

Cheers,

Scott

Ben_F

I encourage you to provide Feedback to the Area Manager (Search for the store at http://telstra.com.au/store-locator/ and there is an email address) so that others aren't caught out by this issue.

Arieals are to improve Signal Strength, however I'm not knowledgeable enough to be able to provide a detailed answer, I'll see if I can get a Tech Support consultant can provide some advice for you Smiley Happy

New Users - Click Here!

sreynolds1963

It looks as if my half hour phone call at lunchtime was futile as my connection is still 'slowed' 5 and a half hours after I was told that I had been given the extra allowance. Not happy.
subtecho

I too have been advised my service will be slowed to 64Kbps if I exceed my allowance. Frankly That would delight me as I rarely achieve that speed normally with my wireless service even though my antenna is in full view of the local tower and within 2 Km of said tower
willy23

it appears that they have blocked any further about slowed service ---- perhaps too many complain -- 

i am on a 24 month 8GB plan ,, i was told in my contract , that exceed my usage , the service would be slowed to '' dailup ''speed ,, about 64kbps ,,,  last month i used an ipad ,using the wifi from the 4G modem i have , about 1 meter away ,,  to check the speeds ,, it was down to 10 ,, or 9 ,, kbps ,,, am i being ripped off by telstra or what ,,,,, yes i did contact tech help 2 times ,,, i did ask more than 5 times why was my speed down to 9 or 10 kbps ,,, they just avoided answering me ,,, 

the service was so slow i could not open my gmail - it timed out - as did many other sites i visit each day ,,,    merry xmas ,, 

BretonWarrior
Level 4: Private Eye

Well one year later and the question is still being asked,  why is Mobile Broadband slowed to 64  instead of the 256  that all other Internet Services are restricted too once the Data Allowance has been used up???

A comment from last year in this forum reckoned we where slowed to the equivelant of Dial Up, well I'm sorry but I used to have dial up a long whiles back and slowed Mobile Broadband is far, far slower than any dial up I have used. The 64 speed simple does not work, no if's or but's in most cases it just does not provide even the most basic of Internet use.

I strongly believe this is in fact illegal as Telstra clearly states you will not lose your Internet, you will just be slowed, this is a false claim and without question Telstra knows in many circumstances that it is false. I only know of one Telstra BigPond user who has actually managed to use the Internet with his Mobile Broadband slowed speed?

Now you have implemented a restricted 'three' times a year 'unshaping' when a customer runs out of Data. You pledge to your customers on Mobile Broadband and all other systems they will still be able to use the Internet once their Data Limit is used up, but it does not actually work on the slowed 64 speed with Mobile Broadband. So to honour your 'claim' of "You will not lose your Internet use" you legally should unshape all customer connections if they inform you that their service does not work at the slowed speed. Either that or adjust the speed of your slowed to 256 across the board for all users, or even higher if its needed so you can actually legally honour your promises to your customers. Please do not claim  its system congestion thats the issue or any other such rubbish, you state we will keep our Internet, we do not, that is the issue if your system is over congested for 64 speed to work increase the slowed speed or fix the problems that stop 64 from actually working.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Brenton, 

Can appreciate the concern, I will follow this up for you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

BretonWarrior

If afraid the 'Slowed' as best I understand it is the speed it is set at as 'Direct to Server' which in reality means 10kbps or less once you go through a couple of servers to get your download. To be honest I wish I could get 10Kbps as the only speed I have seen when I have managed to get onto the Internet was much less that 10kbps, as low as 2kbps???

To understand the 'Direct to Server' if you use an Internet Speed Test it does its test directly to one server and the results are normally way over what you see in normal downloading. This is obviouslly when you are not slowed, I've never been able to run an Internet Speed Test when slowed, it just cannot complete the test. But back to the full speed test, this shows how fast your connection can be without any other servers involved but when you download or browse you are generally not going direct through one server. Your connection will link through many servers and the one you are actually viewing from may well be congested and your speed will drop. I've seen the difference of between 50kbps upto 800kbps from the same server depending on time of day.

What BigPond should really be fair and do is set it up so that the final download speed to you is throttled at 64kbps, not what is set back at the BigPond Server. 64kbps the way BigPond does run it does not work at all for many customers.

tranceblade
Level 2: Rookie

@BretonWarrior"Now you have implemented a restricted 'three' times a year 'unshaping' when a customer runs out of Data. "

Did you mean that they restore your month's quota? Because that is what the "top-up" is.

Not like the other month when we rang up about data spikes, and the low-level support decided it was a fault in the usage meter, actually "unshaping" us and not giving us a "top-up" (they never did mention the word "top-up" or that we were using one, so I'm taking this fellow to their word). If Telstra were adamant and dedicated about QoL on Mobile Broadband, they would be more inclined to offer 256kbit shaping, and not having their low-level support remove shaping to give customers the potential to thrash and abuse the mobile network all they like for the rest of the month. Because that latter option is bad, not that I wasn't enjoying it Smiley Wink

Highlighted
BretonWarrior

No I've never been given a 'top up' only 'unshaping' when I have complained that my Data allowance is all used up and the 64kbps gives me no Internet use at all.

I agree 'unshaping' a customer does/would leave it open to abuse, to be totally honest we (I) have a set rule on this, if we run out and BigPond Frontline unshape our service 'We Do Not' take advantage of it. We just carry on as per normal for the last few days or so, its obvious if you bite the hand that helps you out they will withdraw the help. This is why the new 'three times a year' rule has been brought in, the frontline support where unshaping whenever you claimed that slowed speed is not working. My opinion is they should unshape on all occasions of lost service when slowed OR give Mobile Broadband a slowed service that allows us to use the Internet. Lets be honest a slowed Internet speed that could still allow browsing, checking BigPond usage without having to wait forever is not going to kill BigPond, 256kbps I'll assume could achieve that.

Based on the fact 64kbps achieves 10kbps in reality for some users, 256kbps could achieve 40kbps? For me I suspect that will end up as a max potential of 10 to 20kbps considerring 64kbps does not work at all 90% of the time. If that allowed basic usage to continue that would be better than nothing, overnight downloading would be possible all be it a very small amounts at those low speeds.

This would at least put us on paper at the same level as all other BigPond users and remove one of the 'second class Internet Users' labels we have. The others being excessive cost and ridiculous low levels of Data Allowance for using a system that has been in place longer than many landline connections, a system that has already more than paid for itself and now just provides excessive profits for Telstra so they expand a 4G network that we will never be able to really take advantage of. Whats the use of 4G to a Mobile Broadband Home User? we will just use up 15 GB quicker, He He He

pete59

4g we are at north mooropna and we have the s/ wireless on 3 g and all we get is dial up speed at gold monthly prices for what comes out the rear of a horse. and you ring the robots who take about 20 mins to answer you and all you hear is sorry about that. $950 for smart antenna and nothing and again i am sorry about that.

pete59

telstra reaches 96% of the population 45% of that would be doing their head in over what they are paying for as promised and what they get.

pete59

Why is the 850 mhz( telstra 3 g) such a weak signal i am 11 kms from a tower and they tell me you could be five kms from a tower and be no better off. I have a $950 smart antenna and it has failed badly where can i get some service or someone to care.

pete59

You will not get on any better off with tech support the next thing you are asked is  its not our fault and you need to pay $480 on top of the already $950 for the smart antenna.and an aireal.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now