CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Jay56
Level 2: Rookie

slow wifi speed with booster

I've just purchased the Wifi booster disc. I have setup 2 disc in total. Internet speed works well around the house except on my laptop.

I'm on NBN plan 100/40. Every device gets at least 50+ MB/s however my laptop is only getting 4mb/s. Am using the same laptop as I was before I installed the booster & I know that my laptop is capable of reaching high speeds.

I've tried everything. Uninstalling wifi adapter, changing settings, run antivirus. Nothing is working. Sometimes it works instantly after uninstalling the driver but 2 seconds later the speed starts to slow again. Have called Telstra and have been informed that my router is working fine.

I'm out of ideas. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: slow wifi speed with booster

Do you have band steering enabled on the disks? Easy way to tell is can you see your WiFi name TElstraabc123 and Telstraabc123-5g if you can't see the -5 one band steering is enabled. Id recommend disabling it and connecting your laptop to the -5g one and see if that improves your speeds.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Jay56

I've checked what you mentioned above and can see both the 2.4 & 5g options. I've tried connecting to both and the download speed only varies by roughly 1mb/s. I've tried connecting via ethernet cable & wireless, yet there's no change. Firewall has also been disabled. Telstra seem to think it's the amount of devices that I have setup in my home, but it's the same amount of devices I had last week when everything was working ok. I have 2 laptops, 2 smart tv's, 2 nas drives & 2 google Home's. Even turning off the devices does nothing. I've also turned off the Wi-Fi booster and nothing goes back to normality.
Level 24: Supreme Being

Your modem might be in backup mode. If its a Gen 2 modem is the light on the front blue or if its a Gen 1 or Gen 1.1 is the online light purple.
Jay56

link, online & phone lights are all green. I've had the modem just over a year so I assume it's the Gen 1.1 model. I have a much older laptop in the kitchen that connects fine, in fact I just tested the speeds on my old laptop and it was getting 95mb/s. I'm pretty sure there's a setting on my intel I7 which is causing this issue but can't work out what it is.

Have tried disabling your antivirus program on the laptop and doing a speed test?

Check if you have any of these programs install which are known to cause Internet speed problems:

AVG Web Tuneup

Asus Game First

LAN Optimiser

XFast LAN

If your other devices are able to get the high speeds then laptop is probably going to the the cause. You could try purchasing or borrowing a USB WiFi adapter to see if that makes a difference.

Additionally turn on your phones WiFi hotspot or turn of the mesh disks and connect to your modems WiFi directly and see if the WiFi speed is still slow.

If the WiFi speed is slow on the disks, your phones hotspot and the modems WiFi then its most likely going to be the wireless adapter on the laptop. If the laptop is still under warranty you may be able to get it fixed for free by contacting the manufacture or the place where you purchased the laptop. Otherwise you can purchase a USB WiFi adapter as mentioned above to resolve the slow speeds on your laptop.

Alternatively use an Ethernet connection on the laptop if available.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Jay56

I tested my laptop at another location and the wi-fi speeds were fine. At home the mobile hotspot works ok. I'm not sure what you mean by turn off the mesh disks?

I've even tried connecting my laptop to the router via ethernet, I reset the network completely & restart my computer. I manage to get around 90mb/s via ethernet for around 2 minutes and then it reverts back to the slow speeds.

I've basically tried every avenue. There has to be some underlying issue with my network at home.

@Jay56 wrote:
 I'm not sure what you mean by turn off the mesh disks?

If you turn of the WiFi booster and reboot the modem do you still have the low speed on the Laptop?

Jay56

Yes I still have the issue even after I've done a reboot of the laptop, router & booster. I've even tried to connect to the internet without the booster plugged in & that doesn't work. All I know is that everything was fine before I purchased the WiFi booster.
I've booked an I.T network expert to come and see what the issue is tomorrow. Fingers crossed they find something. I'll update this post tomorrow.
Thankyou everyone for the suggestions.
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Have you run the Troubleshooter on your laptop to see if it can detect an issue with your network controller on your laptop? Right click on the Wifi/Network symbol and select Troubleshoot problems.

If all your other devices are working properly, then it definitely sounds like a problem with the laptop.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Mkrtich
Level 12: Master Detective

Hi - I assume you have a large home in order to use 2 Wi-Fi Disc Extenders to the Gen 1.1 Router which may be causing havoc if they are in close proximity to each other. Are these Extenders actually Repeaters connected to the main Wi-Fi Router or each other via Wi-Fi or LAN cables to the Router. If by Wi-Fi, this may halve the throughput rate broadcast to devices as the remote Wi-Fi station has to first receive the signal then re-transmit it.

It is possible to lock your laptop to the 5Ghz frequency in Windows 10 - Change Adapter Settings/Wireless Network Connections/Right Click for Properties/ Select Configure on first line entry shown there/ Select Advanced Folio and there you should see the 2.4 Ghz 802.11 b/g/n and the 5.0 Ghz 802.11 ac. You may have to verify other settings there as well - e.g. multimode if present. Some good YouTube clips available on this process. If you have MACs - I understand that the Mac determines the best frequency band available at the time and connects you to that. Hope this helps
Mkrtich

Hello Jay56 - been thinking of your predicament. I couldn't see the brand or model your WiFi Booster Disc Network in your post. Are these two units, the new Telstra Wi-Fi Boosters AC2533 where the Master Disc is connected with LAN cable to Router and the Secondary Disc connected via WiFi to the Master? These units are proprietary to Telstra Wi-Fi Router Networks and use 256 QAM coding in both bands. In their 2.4GHz mode, they use proprietary extensions to the IEEE 802.11n standard which is limited to 64 QAM. Your troubled laptop may not have an ability to operate at the higher coding and I am not sure if the Master Disc can be configured to downscale to the lower coding automatically. Whilst this may contribute to poor Wi-Fi performance from the laptop, for it to suffer a similar downgrade in performance in LAN mode has me baffled and leads me to look at the Router. As 343Guilty Spark indicates, a possible driver conflict in LAN and WiFi in the PC or hardware fault but you say the laptop works fine elsewhere. So something in your home network then.

Did you try another LAN port in the Router to connect your laptop? Speed downgrade implies some interference after two minutes.
Also if you are using the new Telstra Wi-Fi Boosters, your home network has to be renamed according to the Master Disc SSID and password, meaning you have to go back into the Gen 1 Router and make its SSID the same as the Wi-Fi Booster Network - has this been done? Its a good idea to get a very long CAT5e/CAT6 LAN cable to interconnect the Router to Master Disc for separation if possible. Concerning to see Telstra advertising pictures of the WiFI Booster Disc on a bedside table - these should never be on at night when people are asleep, particularly children.

I hope your tech fix it guy gets to solve the mystery. Cheers
Jay56

Hi Mkrtich
Thankyou for the reply. Firstly the issue has now been fixed. My tech guy had to fully re-install windows on my laptop which has 100% fixed the issue. He was under the impression that something was running in background that was prevent me from reaching high speeds, however it wasn't visible from my end. I'm now getting roughly 95mb/s on my laptop.

In regards to the above comments, even my tech guy was shocked that i needed to use the Telstra Wifi Booster discs. He could see that the 2.4 & 5ghz channels drop by roughly 60% in my bedroom. Apparently the telstra modems aren't that strong & therefore the signal wasn't fully covering my entire 1 story house.

I honestly tried every avenue before calling a tech guy out. I tried both Wifi connection & Ethernet connection to the router & to the booster discs. I even purchased a new cat6 cable but nothing. I changed all my Wifi adapter settings & even unplugged the wifi dics to see if that was causing the issue. The only thing i didn't try was changing the SSID name in my router.

Now that it's all fixed, I'm able to connect to the router or the Wi-Fi discs and manage to get the same speeds.
Mkrtich

Jay56 - I would not have thought of looking at Windows as the cause. Well done to your tech guy and glad to see a happy ending. Nothing like the feeling that all is working like it should. Cheers

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now