CrowdSupport®
snowbatplants
Level 1: Cadet

telstra con

Im annoyed that after i purchased the best nbn plan available that im now told to get better speed i have to pay more and get a better speed package. When i asked telstra why my speed is exactly the same as when i was on copper i was told about the speed boost plans. Now i cant see how that is legal

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: telstra con

NBN speeds are determined by NBN Co,

They have 5 speed tiers, 4 common and one I have never actually seen offered:

Tier 1 - which is the standard that most RSP use, is a mere 12Mbps download and 1Mbps upload.

Tier 2 - Which is what Telstra used as their standard speed is 25Mbps download and 5Mbps upload

Tier 3 - Which is one I haven't seen much which is 25Mbps download and 10Mbps upload

Tier 4 - Which is what Telstra call their Very Fast Speed Boost, is 50Mbps download and 20Mbps upload

and Tier 5 - Which is what Telstra call their Super Fast Speed Boost, which is 100Mbps download and 40Mbps upload

The government decided when they first developed the NBN that 12Mbps was a right perfect speed to offer as the standard, Telstra had always set their cable and velocity internet to 30Mbps, so they had decided that they will offer Tier 2 at 25/5Mbps, my assumption is that it was to keep their speeds as inline as possible to current customers expectations.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now