CrowdSupport®
snowbatplants
Level 1: Cadet

telstra con

Im annoyed that after i purchased the best nbn plan available that im now told to get better speed i have to pay more and get a better speed package. When i asked telstra why my speed is exactly the same as when i was on copper i was told about the speed boost plans. Now i cant see how that is legal

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: telstra con

NBN speeds are determined by NBN Co,

They have 5 speed tiers, 4 common and one I have never actually seen offered:

Tier 1 - which is the standard that most RSP use, is a mere 12Mbps download and 1Mbps upload.

Tier 2 - Which is what Telstra used as their standard speed is 25Mbps download and 5Mbps upload

Tier 3 - Which is one I haven't seen much which is 25Mbps download and 10Mbps upload

Tier 4 - Which is what Telstra call their Very Fast Speed Boost, is 50Mbps download and 20Mbps upload

and Tier 5 - Which is what Telstra call their Super Fast Speed Boost, which is 100Mbps download and 40Mbps upload

The government decided when they first developed the NBN that 12Mbps was a right perfect speed to offer as the standard, Telstra had always set their cable and velocity internet to 30Mbps, so they had decided that they will offer Tier 2 at 25/5Mbps, my assumption is that it was to keep their speeds as inline as possible to current customers expectations.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now