Angus94
Level 3: Gumshoe

wifi connection

for some reason i cant log into the 5G connection on my NBN service, i could when i first signed up (was getting over 50MB/s) but i notice now i cant connect to it......only have the 2.4 GHz connection downloading now at 2.6MB/s

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
35 REPLIES 35
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: wifi connection

On the Telstra Smart modem by default have the same SSID for the 2.4 GHz band and 5 GHz band. To enable the 5 GHz band to a a different SSID Band steering has to be turned off in the modem's 2.4GHz band WiFi settings.

How do you know that you only have the 2,4 GHz connection? It is more likely that there is a fault on the link causing the low speed.

Angus94

ive just been on the gateway webpage (10.0.0.XXX) and the Band Steering Enabled box is already unticked

my modem model is a TG800vac

You might have a faulty 5 GHz WiFi radio on the modem. Is it only the one device that cannot see the 5 GHz band or have you tried connecting on several devices? You could try a factory reset off the modem but the band steering will then revert to enabled so it will have to be disabled to test the 5GHz WiFi band. The reset button is below power button, press for at least 10 seconds. The modem should reboot setting all settings to factory defaults.

Even if you can only connect to 2.4Ghz band speed should still be greater than 2.6 Mbps.
Angus94

At this point all smart phones and tablets can connect to 5G (and are connected to it), but computers cant see the network for 5G

Was the computer able to see the 5ghz band before. If it was then either there is fault with the WiFi adaptor on the PC or the modem might have switched to a DFS %GHz WiFi channel and your PC might not support DFS.

If PC supports 5GHz check what 5GHz channel the modem is using and if using a DFS channel change the channel to a non DFS channel.

See link below for a explanation of DFS and list of DFS channels
https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/763/
Angus94

there are 3 computers that cant see the 5G connection, my desktop and both my boys.

i went to the gateway page, found the channel box and changed the channel to 149 (non DFS), waited several minutes but the connection didnt show, then changed the channel to 36 and did the same, still nothing.

then i went into the computers control panel to Manage Network Connections, and created the 5G setting but still nothing showed up, it was at the top of the list so the computer would see that connection first.

should i have rebooted the computer perhaps?

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Angus94, I would suggest looking at the HomeDashboard App via https://tel.st/xlyvp as this shall allow you to troubleshoot exactly what is going on and what needs to be done to restore the settings for all. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

you shouldn't need to reboot computer but a reboot often fixes a lot of problems so I would try a restart on a PC. If Windows 8 or 10 use restart as shutting down PC and powering up the PC only does not fully load the drivers,

If you have windows 10 installed on the PC then install the WiFi analyser by Matt Hafner from the windows store. Open the App and select Analyse, make sure 5GHz band is selected and in the view menu make sure there is a tick next to SSID. You should see a graph of all surrounding 5GHz band WiFi networks 

WiFi_Analyser.jpg

Angus94

Well, 1 pc is win10......another pc is win8 and the other is win7....but none of them see the 5G connection....i will try the wifi analyser on the win10 pc when i get home from work and keep you posted
Angus94

MammaB, i downloaded and installed the Home Dashboard app, to my phone, its already on the 5G connection so all the test i ran were good, but the devices it found didnt include any computers

Angus94

cf4,
i installed the wifi analyzer onto 1 of the win10 computers, clicked all the items you highlighted above.............when i clicked 5G box the result was NO NETWORK FOUND at the bottom of the window.

so from here i have no idea what to do
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Try running the network troubleshooter on your PC.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Angus94

i ran the troubleshooter............'couldnt find any problems'
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

You could try uninstalling and then reinstalling the Wi-Fi adapter in device manager.

However it's rather odd your computer's can't see the 5ghz Wi-Fi but phones can.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

You will get the no networks found message if the WiFi adapter does not support 5GHz or the signal is to weak

On the PC open Device (Right click Start and select Device manager)

Expand the Network Adapters

Right Click on the WiFi Adapter

Select Advanced

Select Bandwidth Capability and make sure 11a/b/g/n/ac (20/40/80MHz) is selected.

Angus94

On the PC open Device (Right click Start and select Device manager)
Expand the Network Adapters
Right Click on the WiFi Adapter
Select Advanced
Select Bandwidth Capability and make sure 11a/b/g/n/ac (20/40/80MHz) is selected.
..........there is no "WiFi Adapter" in the list provided
Angus94

ive just updated the drivers for my wireless adapter,

D-Link DWA-548 Wireless N-PCIe Adapter

it also installed a program to monitor and setup all detected networks, i even hotspotted my phone and it picked that up..........but still no 5G network.

just had a thought, my next plan of attack will be a network cable between modem and pc, they are only about 1.2 metres apart

The D-Link DWA-548 only supports the 2.4G WiFi band are you sure your PC was connected to modems 5G band before?

https://www.dlink.com.au/home-solutions/DWA-548-wireless-n300-pcie-desktop-adapter

If you can no longer connect to modems WiFi on all the PCs it could be the 2.4Ghz band on the modem is no longer transmitting, or if you can connect but speed is low try changing WIFi channels on the modems 2.4 GHz band.

Angus94

im on the hunt for 3 dual band wifi pci network cards,

when the nbn came to our area we decided to not sign up straight away coz we had heard some bad reports about new system starting up and having teething issues, eventually telstra contacted us saying ADSL2+ was ending soon and if you didnt sign up to the nbn it would be done for you. not long after i was downloading a large file, it was downloading at just over 50mbps, i thought this is great.

i can only assume that since signing up, the nbn has gone thru many tweaks and adjustments so perhaps over time we've lost the 5G connection and not noticed it, or more so lost the ability to detect it

Have you tried doing a speed test at the Telstra  Online Speed test site on the PC and comparing it with one of the devices that can connect to 5GHz?

If both speeds are low then there might be a problem with NBN link.

Angus94

Several times i got latency error:could not connect to test server.....then it finally ran the test.
Download speed = 0.3 mbps
Upload speed = 0.4 mbps
Ping = 47ms

If that is happening on all the computers then and not the other there's could be a fault with the 2.4 GHz radio on the modem. The problem could also be interference from Bluetooth devices. On one of my PC I have to disable Bluetooth or else I can't connect on 2.4Ghz unless I am close to the modem.

Angus94

i ran the test again, 6 times i got latency error then it ran the test, this time i got........

Download speed = 0.3 mbps
Upload speed = 0.1 mbps
Ping = 51ms

then i ran the same test on my mobile, and got.

download = 56.5mbps
upload = 2.7mbps
ping = 22ms
Angus94

if thats the case, were to from here

Try factory reset of modem. If still having problems and the modem is under 2 years old ring support and request a replacement. First make sure it is the modem by connecting one of the other devices to 2.4GHz band and doing a speed test.
Angus94

well ive just switched my mobile to the 2.4 band and run the online test.......

download speed = 29.5mbps
upload = 11.6mbps
ping = 9ms

I would try changing the WiFi channel on the modems 2.4GHz band. I have found some PC WiFi adapters don't work to well on some of the channels particularly 11, 12, 13. In some cases I got the same results as you.

Angus94

ive just changed the channel to 149 and the capacity went from around 430mbps to 780 mbps
Angus94

just downloaded a file i grabbed 30 mins ago, before it came down at 30-60kbps, this time it was 4.6mbps
Angus94

just run the online speed test again (windsor server this time, previous was perth)

download = 29.9 mbps
upload = 8.s mbps
ping = 6 ms

Was that speed test done on the PC?

When I said try changing the WiFi channels I was referring to the channels on the 2.4 GHz band (1 - 13) as the PC only has access to 2.4 GHz WiFi band.

Angus94

Only had 5 channels to choose from, 3 dfs and 2 non dfs

In the 5GHz WiFi settings there are only 5 channels to choose from but in the 2.4 GHz WiFi settings there are 13 channels, channels  1 to 13.

If you are using the Basic WiFi settings, select the 2.4 GHz Tab across top of screen.

If using Advanced WiFi settings settings  select the main 2.4 Ghz Band access tab settings at the left of the screen.

Angus94

ok, latest development......

ive been out and purchased a, TP-LINK AC1300 wireless dual band PCI express adapter. i had a devil of a time getting it going, im used to installing hardware, then boot pc and wait for 'found new hardware' message then drop cd in and install drivers, but the pc didnt detect it until the utility installation occurred, so after several reboots eventually it started working, the wireless adapter found both networks, so i signed into the 5G and went online,

i wanted to do some test downloads so i found a 350mb file and it downloaded at only 6mbps, so i did a telstra online speed test.

download = 47.3 mbps

upload = 17.8 mbps

ping = 6 ms

all on the 5G network

is there any 'tweaks' i can do to improve the 6mb download speeds

When you download  a file most browsers report the speed in Megabytes per second (MBps) or Kilobytes per second (KBps). Speed tests record the speed on Kilobits per second (Kbps) or Megabits per second Mbps). Their are 8 bits in a Megabyte therefore your file download speed of 6MBps is equivalent to 48 Mbps which is your link speed. There is nothing you can do to increase speed except purchase a speed boost to increase speed of link to 100 Mbps.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now