CrowdSupport®
Level 3: Gumshoe

wireless speed slowed and Telstra failed to speed up

Answered

I was on a 24 mth Big Pond plan for wireless internet. No cable or ADSL. Perfect service for 21 months then speed went from 16 to 2 mbps. I had NOT exeeded my limit. MANY phone calls to techs could not respeed my service. They promised the world. No apologies or compromise offered so i paid a hefty exit fee. Now i have a Telstra prepaid modem stick that gives brilliant speed and reliability. Can anyone explain the logic in that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: wireless speed slowed and Telstra failed to speed up

Krazy Kev's  explanation of my sudden loss of BigPond wifi speed seems to be very plausible. It is the only possibility i did not think  of. I can now just imagine asking Telstra to kindly give back my exit fee and give me a new wireless device to see if that was the problem...WHY DID A TECH NOT THINK TO REPLACE THE DEVICE. It would have been such a simple thing to do. I am very,very annoyed at being treated off -handedly like this after 21 months of loyalty. I told their techs that I did not have a worm or trojan, that Norton was not the cause and that congestion failure so big  was not likely and my computor was in peak condition. Telstra is an unconscionable company which is low on ethics and accountability.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I was on a 24 month ADSL BigPond plan with Telstra. I live in a rural area, and it was brilliant for the first month or so. I was getting 1.8 - 2.0mbps. And then all of a sudden, our connection deteriorated. In the end, the fastest we would get 0.3mbps.

After MANY phone calls, and them issuing a new job ticket every call and doing the exact same things every time and nothing being resolved, they eventually traced the problem to gunk in the lines. They ordered the contractors to fix the lines, they said they did it, got paid, and took off. The contractor had been saying they done the job, getting paid, and then doing runners.

Still, extremely slow internet, called them up and told them what was going on, they went to issue the job ticket until I said no more, they do it every time and nothing happens, I wanted to speak to a supervisor. Turns out, we were a few kilometres out of range of the nearest exchange.

After fighting, I was refunded every cent I paid for internet and they gave me free internet until I found an alternative solution.

Like you, many phone calls to the technicians (at least three per week for 4 months) and nothing was resolved but they weren't going to let me exit without paying the fee. A mention of the ombudsman made them waive that fee right away. No apologies, just the refund.

I'm now with a local company and with their WiMAX connection, I get between 10mbps and 11mbps.

All of our telstra phones were disconnected as soon as we were signed up with Optus and we now have trouble-free communications.
Highlighted
Level 13: Super Sleuth

Catspaw, your speed change could simply be a case of congestion, as in more people connecting to the tower now than before.  Unlike ADSL the more people that connect to the one tower the slower your speed will get and nothing else will change unless Telstra adds more <whatever it is> to the tower to cater for more users or if less users use the tower.

GW

Roll on the NBN!
Highlighted
Level 17: Bureau Chief

@catspaw wrote:

I was on a 24 mth Big Pond plan for wireless internet. No cable or ADSL. Perfect service for 21 months then speed went from 16 to 2 mbps. I had NOT exeeded my limit. MANY phone calls to techs could not respeed my service. They promised the world. No apologies or compromise offered so i paid a hefty exit fee. Now i have a Telstra prepaid modem stick that gives brilliant speed and reliability. Can anyone explain the logic in that.

If you've switched from a BigPond wireless device to a Telstra wireless device and the speed has increased significantly then I can only conclude that the original wireless device developed a fault. You're using the same radio waves on the same frequencies off the same towers. And if it worked fine for 21 months and then suddenly went down, but a different device continues to get good service, I doubt it can possibly be congestion. Which leads to the same conclusion - the original device developed a fault. Maybe its antenna came loose, or lost a connection or something. Did you, by any chance, change the power supply? I've seen reports here of two modems with similar power packs and if you use the wrong (1Amp) supply on the newer device (requires 2.5A), you get really slow speeds. Did anything change in the power supply situation?

Either way, the fact that a new device works better is a strong pointer that there's something wrong with the old device.

--
Kevin
[ I am a Telstra Employee however my posts here are done in a personal capacity.]
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Krazy Kev's  explanation of my sudden loss of BigPond wifi speed seems to be very plausible. It is the only possibility i did not think  of. I can now just imagine asking Telstra to kindly give back my exit fee and give me a new wireless device to see if that was the problem...WHY DID A TECH NOT THINK TO REPLACE THE DEVICE. It would have been such a simple thing to do. I am very,very annoyed at being treated off -handedly like this after 21 months of loyalty. I told their techs that I did not have a worm or trojan, that Norton was not the cause and that congestion failure so big  was not likely and my computor was in peak condition. Telstra is an unconscionable company which is low on ethics and accountability.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

WHY DID A TECH NOT THINK TO REPLACE THE DEVICE. It would have been such a simple thing to do.

To be fair, replacement of a device is a remedial action of last resort – especially for a device that is 21 months old – warranted only if (i) the cause of the service issue has been identifed as, or at least isolated by a process of elimination to, a fault in the device, and (ii) the state of the device makes it uneconomical to repair instead of replace. Provisioning a replacement device for a service issue of unknown cause, as merely one of the troubleshooting steps, is not exactly best practice at least financially.

Telstra is an unconscionable company which is low on ethics and accountability.

That's a big claim on your part, and one with which I as a long-term Telstra customer disagrees, however many times the inefficiency and ineffectiveness of some of its processes frustrated and annoyed me over the years. There is a lot of room for the company to improve on getting things right first time, and taking accountability to get to the bottom of issues (when it doesn't get things right first time), but it doesn't mean it acts unethically in any way or wants to shortchange its customers by not delivering to its regulatory and contractual obligations.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Highlighted

Drat.   Fair comments you make. Telstra techs have always been personable and cooperative. I treat them with same respect. I would have thought that a faulty device would be on a list of probable faults. Please understand that the consumer who spends innumurable hours on the phone and an idle computor may eventually vent in strong terms as per this forum. To that end the solution has been reached and the matter closed.

Highlighted
Community Alumni (Retired)

@catspaw wrote:

Drat.   Fair comments you make. Telstra techs have always been personable and cooperative. I treat them with same respect. I would have thought that a faulty device would be on a list of probable faults. Please understand that the consumer who spends innumurable hours on the phone and an idle computor may eventually vent in strong terms as per this forum. To that end the solution has been reached and the matter closed.

Just on this comment, iiNet announced that, in 2010, of the Modems sent for replacement, only 3% were found faulty (Source: http://blog.iinet.net.au/is-there-a-limit/ ). Thats a heap of modems!!

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

I have the same predicament that faces you where my 782s aircard is actually slower in upload and download with my USB 4g Advanced dongle(pay as you go) by almost 10mbps.( The aircard is a replacement for a faulty on that I am thankful for) As an online gamer the speed was annoyingly slow and frustrating, Telstra had no answer and Living in the Blue Mtns was told it was the best I could expect. I took to google in search of answers an have come up with a solution that appears to be a major obstacle within the Windows enviroument. Since this is altering the registry files caution is advised, backup and creates a new restore point.

One of the bigest obstacles to internet speed is Windows itself, and by making adjustments to the network settings can increase the speed quite sunstanceually, as with all adjusts to an OS caution is advised. Knowin this here is a path you may want to follow. Again caution is advised, Backup your system and create a recovery point.

To speed up internet access and network.
First do a system restore point.

Go to Pingtest.net
do test and write down results.
NEXT.
Go to RUN and type regedit, Press ENTER.
Look for HKEY_ Local_machine and Click(to expand) NEXT
Scroll to SYSTEM (click to expand)then scroll to
ControlSet (not controlset001) then
TCPIP, then
Parrameters, then
Right click mouse on screen and select NEW
in the next window select DWORD(32bit)
rename the entry to TCPAckFrequency and press enter.
Double click the entry and in next ensure Hexadecimal is selected and alter the value from 0 to 1
Right click mouse on screen and select NEW
in the next window select DWORD(32bit)
rename the entry to TCPNoDelay and press ENTER
Double click the entry and in next ensure Hexadecimal is selected and alter the value from to 1.
CLOSE REGEDIT.

Go to RUN and type gpedit.msc then press ENTER.
go to Computer configuration (click to expand)
then go to Administrative Templates (click to expand)
Go to Network (click to expand)
Go to QOS Packet Scheduler (Click to expand)
on the right hand of the screen you will see Limit outstanding packets double this and a new window will open. Now click the disable button and close the window.
Next go to Limit Reservable Bandwidth and double click this, click the enabled button and change the bandwidth limit (%) from 1 to 0 then click Ok  and close out to your desktop.
Restart your computer and do another pingtest.net and notice the difference.

Now open your browser and google TCP Optimizer and download the small program and remember where it is downloaded to.
Then go to
Speedtest.net or whatever and get your current download speed and write it down.
Next go to TCP Optimizer and right click and select run as administrater.
When the program starts use the slide to set it at your current download speed, go to bottom of the program screen select optimize click ok and do a complete restart. When you have restarted check your internet speed.

Ther should be a significant change in your speed so you should do a backup and a system restore

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit