CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
NewRental
Level 1: Cadet

$299 connection fee to a rental apartment

Answered

I've recently had my phone connected at an apartment I've moved into. The apartment is about 15 years old.

The home move team had told me that there would be a $299 fee if there was no phone line physically cabled into the apartment. When I checked, there was 2 wired sockets and also a dialtone. Calling back to the team they gave me a number that I could use to replay the phone number connected into the property. I let the move team know the number that was live in the property and explained that clearly we wouldn't need any more cabling, just the phone line switched across.

I passed this on to the team, they sent a technician out who spent half an hour total. Jumpered in the mdf and then tested the line and we were all connected.

Surprise to me when I get my bill and theres a $299 connection fee. I'm a bit disturbed that the absolute maximum fee is being charged when this is clearly not a new cabling effort.

According to the online rates it looks like $125 is more appropriate, but to be honest why cabling is required when there is a live phone number already I don't really understand.

https://www.telstra.com.au/help/download/document/personal-critical-information-summary-telstra-voic...

Standard connection

A connection charge applies to connect your home phone service:
•telephone line without a technician visit –$59
•telephone line with a technician visit –$125
•new telephone line connection/telephone line connectionwith a technician visit and cabling work –$299

Does anyone have any suggestions here?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: $299 connection fee to a rental apartment

Hi NewRental, 

Welcome to CrowdSupport Smiley Happy 

Apologise for the late response. 

In regards to connection fees, it should be advise that the $299 can be charged if the line has never been activated previously, as this is the brand new line connection fee. This is charged when a specific property has never previously had a connection. 

If the property has had a connection previously, but an exchange appointment to activate it is not possible, the result in most cases will be a technician visit and the $125 fee. 

Best to contact us if ever needing to check on what should be correct fee on the account.

Can contact (24/7) via live chat.

Ivan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
27 REPLIES 27
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Hi NewRental, 

Welcome to CrowdSupport Smiley Happy 

Apologise for the late response. 

In regards to connection fees, it should be advise that the $299 can be charged if the line has never been activated previously, as this is the brand new line connection fee. This is charged when a specific property has never previously had a connection. 

If the property has had a connection previously, but an exchange appointment to activate it is not possible, the result in most cases will be a technician visit and the $125 fee. 

Best to contact us if ever needing to check on what should be correct fee on the account.

Can contact (24/7) via live chat.

Ivan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

View solution in original post

esperando

I have tenants moving in to my new apartment next week, and they have asked that I contribute to the $299 connection fee.

I have two questions:

1. There are other apartments in the building that are already connected to Telstra so why should there be a $299 fee?

2. When the tenants move out in 6 months' time and I move in, what fee will I have to pay Telstra?

Many thanks,

Esperando

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Esperando, the $299 fee is charged if there's no existing phone outlet already installed in the apartment - if there's an existing socket in the home then the connection fee would be either $59 or $125 depending on whether a technician visit is required to the home or if the connection work can be completed at the exchange or a street pillar. If someone moves out of the address and disconnects their line then the reconnection fee once you move back in should only be $59.

esperando

Thanks Greg, that is very clear.

bseth

in a similar position, new apartment building, comms box (keyed) - so what is a reasonalbe confribution from the landlord? - if the property wasnt new, it would appear at least $59 would be charged (suggesting a $249 contribution if considered an essential service) -

many tenants find mobiles the best way rather than contributing line connections / number changes with every move, however others (particularly wanting a good ADSL connection - NBN is some time to come in this suburb) want a phone line

any thoughts ?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey bseth,

Welcome to Crowd Support Smiley Happy

Is an interesting proposal, but is not something that we would be able to request from them as would have to be an agreement that is made between landlord and tenant. If you advise them this would be a one off fee for them, and then each tenant will have to pay for this to be connected in their own names, then they may be more incline to accept, but out of our hands sorry Smiley Sad

bseth

thanks for the lightening response -

I think (and please correct me if I am wrong) the problem is the way the charge is described - new multiple dwellings have the telecoms outlet  installed in each dwelling - the developers cabling installer has installed it together with the floor distributor box, the backbone cabling and the main distributioin frame - then telstra pays an independant contractor to come out and put in jumpers in the MDF to connect the new customer -

so a large part of the $299 is actually an infrastructure contribution - the timing is the problem, Water and Power collect their infrastructure contributions prior to settlement (sale) of the dwelling - from the developer - however Telstra look to collect an infrastructure contribution from the new owner after settlement -

and so we come to a way to explain to the new owner that while you have water and power, (and a telecoms outlet) you dont have telecoms until you pay the infrastructure charge -

humbly........

P_T123

Hi,

What would the fee be if there was a connection within the past 6 months but has since been removed?

Thanks,

Morris

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi P_T123,

That depends on the circumstances, but we'll be able to advise at the time we place the order for you.

P_T123

Thanks Ben.

Do I need ti sign up to a contract to get this connection?

Thanks
Morris
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Nope!

Karenhguo

Hi there,

I have similar situation here.

I moved into my current rented property one mth ago. It's a very old house, with telephone socket on the wall, as well as a really old style Telstra logo telephone on the wall. But when i called Telstra for a landline connection, they insisted this house without any landline had been connected. So I agreed with them to send a technician to come and check the property.

When the technician came, he did fixed the line, but not phisically connect a new cable to the house, but did some signal check.

After then, I received a bill say $299 for this service, which I thought it should be $125. For a old house with telephone socket and an old style Telstra logo telephone installed, how come it can be charged under a  brand new line connection fee catergory.

I wish someone can help me to fix up this issue.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Karenhguo

The $299 charge doesn't mean that a new line will physically be connected to the property - there can already be a line there, it just hasn't be activated on the Telstra network. 
So if a line hasn't been used in an extended period - a number of years - a new connection would be required to get it up and running. Or if the line was connected to another service provider this charge can apply.

However with that being said our staff on 13 22 00 can confirm what the situation was for this order and if the charge is the correct one for what the Technician did. If it's not, they can correct this.

Jacek1

I what you say is true than I just got swindled with Telstra. Apartment building where I live is about 3 years old and already has lines installed for telephone and telstra cabling, we had a technician come out for about 5 minutes to connect the line and we recieved a humungous suprise of $299 connection fee for roughly of 5 minutes work. So following what you as a moderator and representative of telstra are confirming that I have been overcharged, something that telstra support are deniying. I will continue to fight this until I die as I don't see how this company can charge $299 for about 5 minutes work. Your response on the matter would be great, I'll add that I don't even have a phone connected as I don't need it due to unlimited mobile phone but the phone was included in the bundle. Discraceful Telstra, I left this company many years ago beause of all kinds of support problems and Am stuck with Telstra because they installed all the lines in the building and seem like they have a monopoly in the building.

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Often builders, especially in apartment or unit blocks, will pre-wire the house and even run the lead in cable to the street. The physical connection to the network can only be done by a Telstra technician. If there has never been an active service connected to that address then a $299 fee may apply in your circumstance @Jacek1 as the previous residents may never have hooked one up and the building is relatively new.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Jim1488

Where you reimbursed the connection fee?
haveachat99

Can you tell me if your issue was solved did you end up paying $299 or $125

Haveachat99

scoot1

Jim1488 did you get an answer...it's now the 15th. I have a complaint but by looking through these requests for answers it seems it's just as stressful as trying to understand the people maning the telephones..please let me know a pensioners aid number I can get a pensioners help thanks..
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi scoot1

You can chat with our general billing team at  http://tel.st/hsc3 regarding any pensioner concessions.

scoot1

That address does not exist
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for the reply scoot1,

I just tried the below link again and was able top connect:

http://tel.st/hsc3

Stef34

I want to connect my dad in a nursing home. They want to charge a pensioner $299 for a technician visit to get a line in and if adsl2+ is not available $194. You have got to be kidding.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Stef34,

The $299 connection fee will apply if there is no existing outlet installed. Your dad can also apply for for a pensioner discount. Further information about pensioner discount can be found here Telstra Pensioner Discount and Connected Seniors program

- Tim 

Stef34

That's funny because the sales person never mentioned a discount on my dad's service if he got a bundle. Only discounts apply if he has a phone only service. When you say outlet, does that mean a phone socket, because there are 2 in his room. Plus $299 dollars is ridiculous to charge a pensioner. That is almost half his fortnightly pay.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Stef34,

The cost is up to $299 - there may have been a misunderstanding. I'm not sure what the pensioner discount your dad will receive - best to speak with our Billing team to clarify the discounts and charges to connect your dad's phone line http://tel.st/hsc3

- Tim 

Gryffon

This is why Telstra has such a scummy reputation. Moving the goalposts all the time.

First we are told that the maximum is charged if there is a requirement to cable. When it becomes clear that there IS cabling already in place AND EVEN A DIALTONE!!!, then its some other excuse for gouging. "First time connection". Really? Easy way to keep charging tenants for a 'First-TIme Connection' over and over and over again. 

Zero trust for Telstra's claims, especially when a tech is being charged at an effective rate of $2,000/hr (as at $299 per visit and MANY in this thread report on-site of less that 10 mins), this is clearly a rip-off. What, are the technicians? Neuro-Surgeons?

Pathetic monopoly rip-off going on here. Ka-ching, ka-ching, eh?

Gryffon

"Hi Esperando, the $299 fee is charged if there's no existing phone outlet already installed in the apartment - if there's an existing socket in the home then the connection fee would be either $59 or $125 depending on whether a technician visit is required"

Clearly untrue from other comments in this thread.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now