CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Activating a telephone line in a brand new house

Heeeeeeeelp!!!!!

Hi everyone, I am new to this, so please go easy on me :-)

I have been bounced back and forth between optus and Telstra for the past 2 hours, and not getting any sense out of anyone, so thought I would give this a go.

I am a tenant about to move from one address into a brand new townhouse in Melbourne.

All of the telecommunications wiring has been installed in the new property I am about to move into.

I am a current Optus customer for both home line and broadband - currently locked in to a 24 month contract.

So, I rang Optus and asked them to move my service to my new address.

They informed me that the line is quote "not active" at the property I am about to move into, and that I need to get Telstra to "activate" the line - whatever that means. They informed me that they could not see the line at that address.

So I rang Telstra, and struggled to find someone there who understood what I needed. It was like the term I was using "activate the line" made no sense at all to them.

So currently Optus cannot transfer the exsiting contractual service I have with them, and Telstra  do not undesrstand what Optus require.

I'm guessing that one of them doesnt know what they are talking about, but I dont know where the fault lies.

Does anyone have any clues at all to assists me. I am not certain if the problem lies with Optus or Telstra.

Maybe I am speaking with the wrong department in at Telstra.

Has anyone doen something like this before?

Surely I am not the first person to do this - it can't be that complicated

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

Thx heaps

Tony

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Community Alumni (Retired)

Re: Activating a telephone line in a brand new house

Hi Tony,

It shouldn't be that complicated. It is the responsibility of Optus to manage the End-To-End relocation of your services I would recommend contacting the Complaints area within Optus (I'm not sure where that is to be honest) and advise them that if you do not get your services moved by them that you will contact the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman.

Ensure that you obtain a reference number and give them a bit of time to sort it out. If it isn't resolved within a reasonable timeframe then proceed to call the TIO and advise them that Optus refuses to relocate your service and that you want your services relocated.

Optus should arrange for the activation of the line with Telstra Wholesale (think of it as a different company, its treated in many ways like a different company) without you doing anything.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted

Thx for the response Ben,

Your advice sounds fair and reasonable. Optus seem to be washing their hands of the issue.

I am after all "their client".

By the way, do you happen to know if the concept of "line activation" does exist?

Tony

Highlighted
Community Alumni (Retired)

@bonniedoon66 wrote:

By the way, do you happen to know if the concept of "line activation" does exist?

Not really, at least not in a Telstra Retail Sense. Telstra Wholesale usually refer to the setup of the service, connecting it up (either to TW gear, or to the Service Providers own gear).

I think that Optus are just playing games, which isn't fair to you as a customer. If you weren't under contract, I would recommend looking at the Telstra Bundles as an option Smiley Wink

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted

Ok, Thx.

Yeah If I wasnt under contract, things would be quite different.

Tony

Highlighted

new house connection

Hi how did this go?

Im having exactly the same problem - optus tells me to contact telstra and telstra tell me to contact Optus?

I have just built a house and need connected but I dont want telstra broadband service, I cant seem to get answers

Thanks so much!

nathan 

Highlighted

Re: new house connection

I'm having the same problem but with TPG!

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit