CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Stirls
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Blocking a number from my home phone.

Answered

Why can't I block a nuisance phone number from within my account?

It seems ludicrous in this (supposedly) smart technology era (the NBN) that we have to call Telstra to get a number blocked!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Technical Support
Technical Support
Accepted Solution

Re: Blocking a number from my home phone.

Good afternoon Stirls,

Apologies for the late reply on this one, but you can indeed block them yourself.

If you log into your account https://www.my.telstra.com.au/myaccount/home there are options in here for you to set up blocking.

If you do not already have your Telstra ID set up you will need to do this part first.

Once you are logged in, under Plans & usage, select Home Phone, scroll to the bottom of the page to the Add-ons, click the blue Manage button, click on Call Forwarding. To Block numbers you know, click on Create New Rule (you can set the name here, eg UnwelcomeCalls, rule status should be ON. Set the call forward number to 1272250025, for Call Types, select All Calls, and then Caller Types is Selected Numbers. Then you can Add Phone Number. Don't try to add too many at one time, eg add 123456789 and then click save. You can continue adding as you need to. You may also wish to add a block against Incoming International Calls,  the ones we most commonly block are 001, 011, 009 and 0011.

You can also block all Unknown or Blocked numbers, in the same section, but just select the Blocked Numbers option. Beware though in using this one that you may miss important calls, as a lot of companies (hospitals, schools etc) can call out with blocked calling line identification for various reasons.

You can also always turn these rules off at any point.

We have had great feedback from customers we have worked with in blocking numbers they have provided us and used in conjunction with other preventative methods, such as:

(a) terminate conversation with the unwelcome caller immediately;

(b) use an answering machine or voicemail to screen callers;

(c) use calling number display facilities to screen calls and choose which calls to answer;

(d) use Telstra's Call Guardian handset to screen calls.

Hope this is of some benefit to you.

I am a member of the Telstra Unwelcome Calls Team.
If you would like to contact us please call 1800805996 - 6am til midnight (7 days).

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Stirls, 

This would depend on the device that you are using for your handset, 

Acknowledging your reluctance to call, Our Nuisance Calls Team How To Manage Unwelcome Calls will be more than happy to assist in getting these calls sorted out. 

Kind Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Stirls
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Thanks Lindy,

But your answer isn't helpful.

The NBN phone is VOIP and therefore the customer should be able to block these nuisance calls from within their Telstra account. It should not rely on the handset we use to connect to the NBN phone service.

The do not call register does not work and (in my case) we have an unlisted number and the scammers and politicians still get through.

There is no point calling Telstra because your call centres are understaffed and we (usually) get connected to a person that does not speak English very well and (in my opinion) do not listen to what the customer is saying.

Technical Support
Technical Support
Accepted Solution

Good afternoon Stirls,

Apologies for the late reply on this one, but you can indeed block them yourself.

If you log into your account https://www.my.telstra.com.au/myaccount/home there are options in here for you to set up blocking.

If you do not already have your Telstra ID set up you will need to do this part first.

Once you are logged in, under Plans & usage, select Home Phone, scroll to the bottom of the page to the Add-ons, click the blue Manage button, click on Call Forwarding. To Block numbers you know, click on Create New Rule (you can set the name here, eg UnwelcomeCalls, rule status should be ON. Set the call forward number to 1272250025, for Call Types, select All Calls, and then Caller Types is Selected Numbers. Then you can Add Phone Number. Don't try to add too many at one time, eg add 123456789 and then click save. You can continue adding as you need to. You may also wish to add a block against Incoming International Calls,  the ones we most commonly block are 001, 011, 009 and 0011.

You can also block all Unknown or Blocked numbers, in the same section, but just select the Blocked Numbers option. Beware though in using this one that you may miss important calls, as a lot of companies (hospitals, schools etc) can call out with blocked calling line identification for various reasons.

You can also always turn these rules off at any point.

We have had great feedback from customers we have worked with in blocking numbers they have provided us and used in conjunction with other preventative methods, such as:

(a) terminate conversation with the unwelcome caller immediately;

(b) use an answering machine or voicemail to screen callers;

(c) use calling number display facilities to screen calls and choose which calls to answer;

(d) use Telstra's Call Guardian handset to screen calls.

Hope this is of some benefit to you.

I am a member of the Telstra Unwelcome Calls Team.
If you would like to contact us please call 1800805996 - 6am til midnight (7 days).

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out.

View solution in original post

Ronandom
Level 1: Cadet

these options are not present on my portal,can telstra tech support advise whats going on

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

@Ronandom are you on a NBN service?

Is your home phone appearing in my account or just a welcome screen?
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now